Greg Merson becomes WSOP.com ambassador
18 September 2014
(PRESS RELEASE) -- September 19, 2014 marks one year since the most historic and respected brand in poker - the World Series of Poker - began its foray into online poker in the United States under the WSOP.com - Nevada
Despite being second to market in Nevada, WSOP.com
took only six weeks to become the Silver State’s market leader, a position it has maintained for the 46 weeks since, including spending time as the No. 1 online poker site in the U.S. during the recently completed 45th annual World Series of Poker.
To date, WSOP
.com in Nevada has registered more than 100,000 accounts, dealt 15,022,347 cash game
hands, where $363,284,608 has been wagered. On the tournament side, WSOP.com in Nevada has run 14,564 tournaments, and to help celebrate the anniversary, several promotions and enhancements are in store.
“It has been a year full of excitement, with plenty of lessons learned,” said WSOP.com Head of Online Poker Bill Rini. “Most importantly for the game’s long-term health, the technology and the regulations have worked as intended. We have established a solid foundation for this recently-regulated digital form of entertainment in the United States, and remain fully-committed and bullish on the long-term prospects of the business.”
To help promote WSOP.com, 2012 WSOP Player of the Year and 2012 WSOP Main Event Champion Greg Merson has signed on to become the company’s first Brand Ambassador. Merson cut his teeth in poker by playing online, before successfully transitioning to the live arena, with his breakthrough 2012 WSOP.
“Greg is a terrific ambassador for the game of poker,” said Rini. “He loves the game, is passionate and opinionated about its future, and he will help us spread the word about our offerings and ensure the poker playing community has a respected, experienced voice to help shape WSOP.com moving forward.”
Merson will be promoting WSOP.com exclusively to players in Nevada or New Jersey. With Friday marking the one-year anniversary in Nevada, the following promotions are planned on WSOP.com for Merson and anyone else age 21 or older inside Nevada’s borders logging in to WSOP.com:
· Anniversary Tournament Series - A week-long tournament series running from September 19-27. The series features $70,000 in guaranteed prize pools, including the “Super Sunday” event on September 21. (Super Sunday replaces the usual Sunday $15k guarantee, with a $25,000 guarantee tournament).
· Tournament Ticket Sale - A 24-hour sale where players can purchase tournament tickets (good for one year) at 50% off our normal tournament fees. (Runs from 9:19 am on September 19 through 9:19 am on September 20).
· Double Me Up - Players can opt into this promotion to earn double APPs on all ring game
and tournament play from September 19-27.
In addition to the above promotions, WSOP.com players can expect to see several new enhancements moving forward. Among them:
· New Geolocation Tool - Players are now able to verify their location using Wi-Fi, instead of a mobile device. This is expected to eliminate a great majority of location verification issues that existed with the mobile verification process. Players are required to upgrade their WSOP.com software, keep their Wi-Fi turned on (don’t need to be connected via Wi-Fi, but do need to be able to see Wi-Fi connections available) and not run any remote software.
· In-Person Deposits & Withdrawals - The Main Cage
at the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas is now offering deposit and withdrawal options for players. Players can visit http://nvcage.wsop.com to initiate financial transactions online and then complete the transaction at the Rio. (Of course, all current online deposit and withdrawal methods remain intact).
· Mobile & Tablet Options - WSOP.com is closer to offering mobile/tablet options for customers. We expect to be able to rollout both iOS and Android compatible gaming options later this year, with players being able to link their account to their mobile devices. Players will be able to sign-up/sign-in, deposit and participate in all game play via the mobile app, once they download it to their device.
· Expanded Payment Options - Another area we have focused on improving is payment options for players. We are pleased to report some positive discussions with major credit card issuers and banks, and are optimistic there is a path to resolve the issues so that players can utilize some of the same credit cards they do for other everyday transactions. We are also always looking at additional payment options for our players.
Among the most successful promotions WSOP.com offered in its first year, were tournaments that awarded seats into the land-based World Series of Poker in Las Vegas. Records show 245 seats were awarded to the 2014 WSOP on the Nevada platform, as WSOP.com served as and remains the exclusive online destination for players in Nevada and New Jersey to win seats.
Here is a timeline review of WSOP.com’s first year:
· September 19, 2013: WSOP.com Nevada goes live
· September 22, 2013: WSOP.com holds its first Sunday Major tournament, with the inaugural Sunday $15,000 Guarantee.
· October 20, 2013: Nick “NICKKK” Rosen wins WSOP.com’s first live event satellite
, claiming a prize package including a seat for the WSOP Europe Main Event in Paris, France.
· October 25, 2013: WSOP.com runs its first Online Championship event, featuring $500,000 in added money over nine events.
· November 3, 2013: WSOP.com becomes the market leader in Nevada
· November 4, 2013: The nine WSOP Online Championship event winners play a $100,000 Freeroll
Tournament live on the ESPN set in the Penn & Teller Theater before the start of the 2013 November Nine.
· February 1, 2014: First satellite events into the 2014 World Series of Poker begin running on WSOP.com with “Satellite Saturdays” and “WSOP Wednesdays”
· February 19, 2014: WSOP.com hosts a week’s worth of satellite tournaments into the live WSOP Circuit Main Event at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
· May 6, 2014: Pizza Parlor owner Tracy Doss wins a WSOP.com Knockout Series tournament, qualifying himself for the land-based $1 million, ESPN-televised WSOP National Championship in Atlantic City. He parlays his WSOP.com victory into a fifth-place finish in the National Championship, good for $86,461.
· May 25, 2014: The inaugural High Roller Series debuts on WSOP.com, a series of higher buy-in
events with $200,000 in prize money guaranteed over seven events.
· June 1, 2014: The second WSOP.com Online Championship Series, with $550,000 offered over 15 events, concludes with our biggest event, a $215 buy-in with a $200,000 guarantee.
· June 15, 2014: In the midst of the 45th Annual WSOP, WSOP.com’s traffic reaches new highs, making it the No. 1 regulated online poker site in the United States.
· July 5, 2014: WSOP.com runs a 25 Seat Scramble
, awarding $250,000 of tournament entries into the 2014 WSOP Main Event. It attracts a record 1,235 players - the largest event in
the history of regulated online poker in the United States.
· September 19: WSOP.com turns one. Celebrates with a week-long Anniversary Tournament Series and Super Sunday.
From Elko to Reno, Las Vegas to Lake Tahoe, Henderson to Mesquite, Boulder City to Carson City, Summerlin to Spring Valley, and Paradise to Pahrump - whether a resident or just visiting, anyone of legal age in the Silver State with an internet connection can play real money online poker with the game’s most trusted brand, at WSOP.com. Participants must be 21 years old or older, age-verified and vetted through our responsible gaming screening.
WSOP.com is the exclusive destination for online players in Nevada to win seats into the land-based World Series of Poker, which has given away more than $2 billion to players during its history, including more than $227 million in 2014 alone.
The WSOP.com real-money poker offering is available to both PC and Mac Users currently and offers:
· Cash games, Sit & Go’s, Satellites and Multi-table Tournaments
· Buy-ins for cash games that start as low as 1¢-2¢ and tournaments that start at $1
· Daily $100 and $25 freerolls for players of all levels
· Limit and No-Limit
Hold’em with full table and short-handed games, plus the popular Omaha
variant is offered including Omaha Hi-Lo, as well as Seven Card Stud.
· Deposit methods including ACH (e-Checks), Neteller, PayNearMe, Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards and withdrawal methods including ACH, paper checks and cash at the cage.
Caesars (then Harrah’s) acquired the WSOP brand in 2004 and has hosted the land-based tournaments at its Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino property ever since, helping increase the event’s participation and prize pools tenfold during its decade of ownership. It has also expanded the brand domestically and globally, including running the 22-stop WSOP Circuit Tour across land-based venues in the United States and Canada, creating the World Series of Poker Europe in 2007 and World Series of Poker Asia-Pacific in 2013. In addition, the WSOP brand has long been available digitally with free-to-play poker offerings, including the current popular social/mobile/Facebook WSOP-branded game. Of course, most know the WSOP from its decade-long relationship with ESPN, the exclusive telecast partner of the WSOP tournament series.
In order to begin playing on WSOP.com, players should go to www.WSOP.com and follow the instructions to register and download the poker client.