Malta Gaming Authority issues notice on socially responsible commercial communications
26 March 2020
(PRESS RELEASE) -- The Covid-19 pandemic is proving to be a very trying time for all. The MGA is taking heed of all relevant developments and is constantly proposing adequate and proportionate measures.
The Authority would like to take this opportunity to highlight the fact that this situation could also be particularly distressing to players. The MGA would like to remind its licensees that, in accordance with the Commercial Communications Regulations to which they are subject, all commercial communications must be socially responsible, especially in light of the current situation. Any direct or indirect reference to Covid-19, or any related circumstance, would be considered to amount to a breach of this regulation.
Amongst other requirements, at no point must any commercial communications directly or indirectly:
- encourage antisocial behavior
- suggest that gaming can be a resolution to social, educational, personal or professional problems
- suggest that gaming can be an alternative to employment
- a solution to financial concerns or a form of financial investment
- portray gaming as socially attractive or
- suggest that solitary gaming is preferable to social gaming