Sky Racing World's second Climbing Everest promotion
11 September 2019
(PRESS RELEASE) -- In Australia on Friday night, 18 October, a field of 12 Australian sprint racing stars will line up at Royal Randwick racecourse for the third running of the $14 million (AUD) TAB Everest over 6 furlongs. Creating further anticipation for the world's richest sprint race on turf is the ‘Climbing Everest’ promotion, which was launched last year by Sky Racing World, the Louisville, Kentucky-based distributor of international horse-racing content and subsidiary of Australian wagering operator Tabcorp.
For the second edition of the ‘Climbing Everest’ promotion, Sky Racing World will again donate $5,000 (USD) and invite 12 prominent industry personalities from North America to participate on behalf of their nominated charities. Last year’s promotion was won by Britney Eurton (TVG), who represented New Vocations and was paired with Australia’s best sprinter Redzel. Eurton will take part again this year, joining several other returning names such as fellow TVG personality Candice Hare, Donna Brothers (NBC Sports), Michael Wrona and Ray Paulick.
Redzel has won both editions of The Everest and this year has been paired with TwinSpires, whose nominated charity is Kentucky Equine Adoption Center (KYEAC). Redzel showed he is back to his best and ready for a potential three-peat after winning his third consecutive G3 Concorde Stakes at Randwick last Friday night. The tune-up race saw two other Everest entrants, Pierata and Sunlight, finish in second and fourth, respectively.
At present, 8 of 12 horses have been confirmed for The Everest and team Godolphin are yet to announce who will represent their slot. Anticipation is building around the Godolphin decision and after drawing the Godolphin slot in the Climbing Everest promotion, Britney Eurton is eagerly waiting to hear if they opt to go with last year’s third-place finisher Osbourne Bulls or brilliant mare Alizee (by Sepoy).
The horse pairings for the ‘Climbing Everest’ promotion are determined via assigned ‘slot holders,’ which refers to horse owners that purchase a slot in the race. Participants received their assignment from the ‘slot holder draw’ held on Tuesday, 3 September. Participants also received a horse name related to their ‘slot holder.’
As was the case last year, ‘Climbing Everest’ has the potential to benefit a wide range of organizations, dedicated to such causes as helping at-risk horses find second careers (i.e., LOPE, Old Friends Farm and KYEAC), awarding grants to approved aftercare organizations to retrain thoroughbreds (Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance) and providing financial assistance to former jockeys who have suffered debilitating on-track injuries (Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund).
Below are the 12 slot holders, horse, along with the corresponding personality and charity.
- Melbourne Racing Club: Horse TBD, Candice Hare (TVG), LOPE Texas Racehorse Adoption
- Bon Ho & Caramel Size Racing: Classique Legend, Dan Tjordman (America’s Best Racing), Alzheimer's Association
- The Star: Arcadia Queen, Donna Brothers (NBC Sports), Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance
- Coolmore: Horse TBD, Caton Bredar (Freelance TV Analyst), Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund
- Aquis: Pierata, Jonathan Lintner (Horse Racing Nation), Old Friends Farm
- Yu Long Investments: Redzel, TwinSpires.com, Kentucky Equine Adoption Center
- Inglis: In Her Time, Michael Wrona, Glen Ellen Vocational Academy (GEVA)
- Chris Waller Racing: Enticing Star, TVG, Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund
- Max Whitby: Sunlight, Ray Paulick (Paulick Report), Edwin J. Gregson Foundation
- TAB: Santa Ana Lane, Steve Byk (At the Races Radio), Race Track Chaplaincy of America (RTCA)
- James Harron Bloodstock: Horse TBD, FanDuel, Women's Sports Foundation
- Godolphin: Horse TBD, Britney Eurton (TVG), New Vocations
David Haslett, President and CEO, at Sky Racing World, said, “We’re very excited for the second year of ‘Climbing Everest’ as well as the third year of the TAB Everest itself. It’s a privilege to be part of this great industry and find unique ways to give back to our rich community. TVG will again be broadcasting live from Royal Randwick on Everest day so that North American audiences can enjoy this showcase event from Sydney, Australia.”