Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 138
  1. #1
    Pam712's Avatar
    Pam712 is offline Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    February 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,438
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts

    Default Absolutely Livid ICO letter

    We have today received a letter from the ICO accusing us of sending a large number of text messages promoting your gaming sites. They are threatening us with a fine of up to £500,000. To say I am livid is an understatement. What the hell is going on?

    1. We don't market via text message. We never have and never will.
    2. We don't even utilise email marketing. We hold no databases and collect no player information
    3. We don't even promote you. There may be some legacy links on some old websites but that is all.

    Can you explain why we have received this letter accusing us of sending thousands of unsolicited texts on your behalf?

    I've passed everything on to our legal reps today and Im sure they will be in touch in due course. In the meantime feel free to explain yourselves.......

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pam712 For This Useful Post:

    BonusBets82 (10 November 2016)

  3. #2
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    1,588
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    320
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 653 Posts

  4. #3
    Pam712's Avatar
    Pam712 is offline Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    February 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,438
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Information Commissioners Office the public body which deals with how information is used and stored in the UK

  5. #4
    jono78 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    london
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 160 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    I got the same letter. At first i thought it was just a scam.

    Also never sent any marketing texts or emails.

    Second glance i thought they are just trying to get me to register with them and the third glance was as it went in the bin.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to jono78 For This Useful Post:

    Pam712 (10 November 2016)

  7. #5
    Syndicate is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2014
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    123
    Thanked 219 Times in 137 Posts

    Default

    That's great! - but what was your conclusion leading to the binning? I mean .........

    What are the intentions of the ICO?, or is it just BS like the mails we receive everyday for SEO. Have you noticed that the tone has changed with e-mails, they are much more aggressive than they used to be!



    Quote Originally Posted by jono78 View Post
    I got the same letter. At first i thought it was just a scam.

    Also never sent any marketing texts or emails.

    Second glance i thought they are just trying to get me to register with them and the third glance was as it went in the bin.

  8. #6
    JackTenSuited is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2004
    Posts
    1,005
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 335 Times in 205 Posts

    Default

    maybe it was an agency that acts on 'behalf' of the ICO and charges a higher fee to register for the data protection?

  9. #7
    Voids is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2012
    Posts
    581
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked 203 Times in 149 Posts

    Default

    I have a letter as well. It's clear that they've been given data by Income Access & I've never sent a spam text either. I thought it might simply be spam but it doesn't look like it.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voids For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (10 November 2016), Pam712 (10 November 2016)

  11. #8
    Pam712's Avatar
    Pam712 is offline Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    February 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,438
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    It's nice to know it wasn't just us that got the letter then! It does appear to be an official letter direct from the ICO and it seems that Income Access have provided them with a list of affiliates and their details. For what purpose I have no idea. Perhaps the ICO have accused Income Access of sending spam texts and they have blamed their affiliates....

    I've put in a complaint to the ICO asking them for proof of their accusations and it should be interesting to see what they come back with. They can have no evidence as we have never sent any text messages whatsoever.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pam712 For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (10 November 2016)

  13. #9
    jono78 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    london
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 160 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    That's great! - but what was your conclusion leading to the binning? I mean .........

    What are the intentions of the ICO?, or is it just BS like the mails we receive everyday for SEO. Have you noticed that the tone has changed with e-mails, they are much more aggressive than they used to be!
    I just thought it was BS. Far too aggressive and why the reference to income access. I treated it exactly the same way as a spam email. New low for income access if they are or one of there employees are selling our contact details.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jono78 For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (10 November 2016), Pam712 (10 November 2016), RacingJim (9 December 2016)

  15. #10
    Voids is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2012
    Posts
    581
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked 203 Times in 149 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam712 View Post
    It's nice to know it wasn't just us that got the letter then! It does appear to be an official letter direct from the ICO and it seems that Income Access have provided them with a list of affiliates and their details. For what purpose I have no idea. Perhaps the ICO have accused Income Access of sending spam texts and they have blamed their affiliates....

    I've put in a complaint to the ICO asking them for proof of their accusations and it should be interesting to see what they come back with. They can have no evidence as we have never sent any text messages whatsoever.
    Please keep me informed with how this goes as I would love to see this evidence! Also it states you have 21 days to respond. So hopefully we will have something more by then.

  16. #11
    lufc is online now Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts

    Default

    I got one as well but although I registered with Income Access I have never promoted anything to do with them and have certainly never promoted/spammed via sms.

    Can anyone confirm it is legit, it comes across as a scam letter right from starting with dear sir/ madam to the threatening nature of the text.
    UK Caravan Holidays- http://www.carahols.co.uk

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to lufc For This Useful Post:

    Pam712 (10 November 2016)

  18. #12
    Pam712's Avatar
    Pam712 is offline Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    February 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,438
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    It looks legit. I just fished the envelope out of the bin and it is franked with a return label to PO Box 66, SK9 5AX which is the ICO office. It asks us to reply to their official email address.

    I agree it is very threatening and what is a so-called public body doing sending out such threatening letters with groundless accusations. The ICO is overseen by the Department of Media, Culture and Sport so maybe its time to let them know what the ICO are up to.

  19. #13
    oldfaithful is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Also received the same letter and was very worried for a moment despite not doing anything Wrong.

    I was just about to ring them and ask what was going on before i thought to check on here.

    Appears to be a serious trust issue here with Income Access, be interesting to see if anybody from there has the decency to explain what is going on
    Work Hard and you will get the Rewards

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to oldfaithful For This Useful Post:

    Pam712 (10 November 2016)

  21. #14
    oldfaithful is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Work Hard and you will get the Rewards

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldfaithful For This Useful Post:

    Pam712 (10 November 2016), Voids (10 November 2016)

  23. #15
    jono78 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Location
    london
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 160 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    Maybe i was a bit quick to bin it.

    Did seem very aggressive though especially as they can't have any proof on my part as i've never sent a marketing text.

  24. #16
    pendil is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    April 2005
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    me too

    rang them up but they will not speak about this.

    you have to email sweep@ico.org.uk - the choice of word sweep makes this look like a fishing trip on everybody who ever had an Income Access account.

    closed my Income Access account about 18 months ago,and also have never done any email or text marketing.

    no reply from them after 2 days,but hopefully this info closes it for me.

  25. #17
    Voids is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2012
    Posts
    581
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked 203 Times in 149 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pendil View Post
    me too

    rang them up but they will not speak about this.

    you have to email sweep@ico.org.uk - the choice of word sweep makes this look like a fishing trip on everybody who ever had an Income Access account.

    closed my Income Access account about 18 months ago,and also have never done any email or text marketing.

    no reply from them after 2 days,but hopefully this info closes it for me.
    So they request all the information they want, but you don't have the ability to ask what evidence they have, or why they want it?

  26. #18
    pendil is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    April 2005
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    they are trying to clamp down on spam emails and mobile phone texts - which is a good thing in my opinion.

    trouble is they don't know who is doing it,and that's why everybody got those letters.

  27. #19
    Pam712's Avatar
    Pam712 is offline Assistant Manager
    Join Date
    February 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,438
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Fair point on spam - but to accuse everyone just because they have no idea who is doing it is quite frankly ridiculous. Besides the letter states "It has come to the attention of the ICO that a large number of of potentially unsolicited text messages (SMS) promoting online gaming sites have been sent by affiliate organisations including yours"

    That is an accusation. To make an accusation such as that they should be able to provide evidence to back it up. They can't because there isn't any.

  28. #20
    pendil is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    April 2005
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam712 View Post
    Fair point on spam - but to accuse everyone just because they have no idea who is doing it is quite frankly ridiculous. Besides the letter states "It has come to the attention of the ICO that a large number of of potentially unsolicited text messages (SMS) promoting online gaming sites have been sent by affiliate organisations including yours"

    That is an accusation. To make an accusation such as that they should be able to provide evidence to back it up. They can't because there isn't any.
    i agree - i was furious as well - as you say,they actually accused me,and everybody else who got the letter,of sending those spam mails.

    this is one of the questions i asked in my email to them - why or how are they accusing me of something i have never done.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •