Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Pam712 is offline Assistant Manager
    Thanks

Default Absolutely Livid ICO letter

We have today received a letter from the ICO accusing us of sending a large number of text messages promoting your gaming sites. They are threatening us with a fine of up to £500,000. To say I am livid is an understatement. What the hell is going on?

1. We don't market via text message. We never have and never will.
    2. We don't even utilise email marketing. We hold no databases and collect no player information
    3. We don't even promote you. There may be some legacy links on some old websites but that is all.

Can you explain why we have received this letter accusing us of sending thousands of unsolicited texts on your behalf?

I've passed everything on to our legal reps today and Im sure they will be in touch in due course. In the meantime feel free to explain yourselves.......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pam712 For This Useful Post:

BonusBets82 (10 November 2016)

wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 653 Posts

Thanks

Information Commissioners Office the public body which deals with how information is used and stored in the UK

jono78 is offline Private Member
    Thanks

I got the same letter. At first i thought it was just a scam.

Also never sent any marketing texts or emails.

Second glance i thought they are just trying to get me to register with them and the third glance was as it went in the bin.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jono78 For This Useful Post:

Pam712 (10 November 2016)

Syndicate is offline Public Member
    Thanks

That's great! - but what was your conclusion leading to the binning? I mean .........

What are the intentions of the ICO?, or is it just BS like the mails we receive everyday for SEO. Have you noticed that the tone has changed with e-mails, they are much more aggressive than they used to be!

Quote Originally Posted by jono78 View Post
    I got the same letter. At first i thought it was just a scam.

Also never sent any marketing texts or emails.

Second glance i thought they are just trying to get me to register with them and the third glance was as it went in the bin.

JackTenSuited is offline Private Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

maybe it was an agency that acts on 'behalf' of the ICO and charges a higher fee to register for the data protection?

Voids is offline Private Member
    Thanks

I have a letter as well. It's clear that they've been given data by Income Access & I've never sent a spam text either. I thought it might simply be spam but it doesn't look like it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voids For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (10 November 2016), Pam712 (10 November 2016)

Thanks

It's nice to know it wasn't just us that got the letter then! It does appear to be an official letter direct from the ICO and it seems that Income Access have provided them with a list of affiliates and their details. For what purpose I have no idea. Perhaps the ICO have accused Income Access of sending spam texts and they have blamed their affiliates....

I've put in a complaint to the ICO asking them for proof of their accusations and it should be interesting to see what they come back with. They can have no evidence as we have never sent any text messages whatsoever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pam712 For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (10 November 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    That's great! - but what was your conclusion leading to the binning? I mean .........

What are the intentions of the ICO?, or is it just BS like the mails we receive everyday for SEO. Have you noticed that the tone has changed with e-mails, they are much more aggressive than they used to be!
    I just thought it was BS. Far too aggressive and why the reference to income access. I treated it exactly the same way as a spam email. New low for income access if they are or one of there employees are selling our contact details.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jono78 For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (10 November 2016), Pam712 (10 November 2016), RacingJim (9 December 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pam712 View Post
    It's nice to know it wasn't just us that got the letter then! It does appear to be an official letter direct from the ICO and it seems that Income Access have provided them with a list of affiliates and their details. For what purpose I have no idea. Perhaps the ICO have accused Income Access of sending spam texts and they have blamed their affiliates....

I've put in a complaint to the ICO asking them for proof of their accusations and it should be interesting to see what they come back with. They can have no evidence as we have never sent any text messages whatsoever.
    Please keep me informed with how this goes as I would love to see this evidence! Also it states you have 21 days to respond. So hopefully we will have something more by then.

lufc is online now Public Member
    Thanks

I got one as well but although I registered with Income Access I have never promoted anything to do with them and have certainly never promoted/spammed via sms.

Can anyone confirm it is legit, it comes across as a scam letter right from starting with dear sir/ madam to the threatening nature of the text.
    UK Caravan Holidays- http://www.carahols.co.uk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lufc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It looks legit. I just fished the envelope out of the bin and it is franked with a return label to PO Box 66, SK9 5AX which is the ICO office. It asks us to reply to their official email address.

I agree it is very threatening and what is a so-called public body doing sending out such threatening letters with groundless accusations. The ICO is overseen by the Department of Media, Culture and Sport so maybe its time to let them know what the ICO are up to.

oldfaithful is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Also received the same letter and was very worried for a moment despite not doing anything Wrong.

I was just about to ring them and ask what was going on before i thought to check on here.

Appears to be a serious trust issue here with Income Access, be interesting to see if anybody from there has the decency to explain what is going on
    Work Hard and you will get the Rewards

20. The Following User Says Thank You to oldfaithful For This Useful Post:

oldfaithful is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Work Hard and you will get the Rewards

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldfaithful For This Useful Post:

Pam712 (10 November 2016), Voids (10 November 2016)

Thanks

Maybe i was a bit quick to bin it.

Did seem very aggressive though especially as they can't have any proof on my part as i've never sent a marketing text.

pendil is offline Public Member
    Thanks

me too

rang them up but they will not speak about this.

you have to email sweep@ico.org.uk - the choice of word sweep makes this look like a fishing trip on everybody who ever had an Income Access account.

closed my Income Access account about 18 months ago,and also have never done any email or text marketing.

no reply from them after 2 days,but hopefully this info closes it for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pendil View Post
    me too

rang them up but they will not speak about this.

you have to email sweep@ico.org.uk - the choice of word sweep makes this look like a fishing trip on everybody who ever had an Income Access account.

closed my Income Access account about 18 months ago,and also have never done any email or text marketing.

no reply from them after 2 days,but hopefully this info closes it for me.
    So they request all the information they want, but you don't have the ability to ask what evidence they have, or why they want it?

Thanks

they are trying to clamp down on spam emails and mobile phone texts - which is a good thing in my opinion.

trouble is they don't know who is doing it,and that's why everybody got those letters.

Thanks

Fair point on spam - but to accuse everyone just because they have no idea who is doing it is quite frankly ridiculous. Besides the letter states "It has come to the attention of the ICO that a large number of of potentially unsolicited text messages (SMS) promoting online gaming sites have been sent by affiliate organisations including yours"

That is an accusation. To make an accusation such as that they should be able to provide evidence to back it up. They can't because there isn't any.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pam712 View Post
    Fair point on spam - but to accuse everyone just because they have no idea who is doing it is quite frankly ridiculous. Besides the letter states "It has come to the attention of the ICO that a large number of of potentially unsolicited text messages (SMS) promoting online gaming sites have been sent by affiliate organisations including yours"

That is an accusation. To make an accusation such as that they should be able to provide evidence to back it up. They can't because there isn't any.
    i agree - i was furious as well - as you say,they actually accused me,and everybody else who got the letter,of sending those spam mails.

this is one of the questions i asked in my email to them - why or how are they accusing me of something i have never done.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast