Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Bing SEO

  1. #1
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default Bing SEO

    So whilst not many people are really that fussed about how they rank in Bing I thought I'd give a few pointers on what Bing seems to be taking into account when ranking your page and how they differ to Google just in case somebody out there cares :P

    IMPORTANT FACT: Bing is going to become increasingly important to all of us, their markt share has pretty much doubled since July 09.

    1.Domain Age

    Well I thought I'd start with the factor which is going to leave our community with a lot of disgruntled webmasters. It seems that Bing is taking domain age and stability into account in a big way. (domain stability being the amount of time you have registered a domain for, its age and a few other minor factors). This is by no means the most important factor that I've seen, but it clearly seems to make a much larger difference than it does to Google.

    2.Keywords/onpage optimisation

    All this is taken into account in the same manner as Google, but it seems to matter slightly less in where Bing places your site, so make sure you're pages are key word optimised and that you've filled in all your meta data, alt tags, etc. and your internal linking is up to scratch. Even if it wont help you as much. Accurate permalink structure seems to play a slightly bigger part than it does in google (but I am still currently testing this point).

    3.Off Page Linking

    Now this is where the big difference comes in. Now we all like to get links on pages where our key terms in the title because it can't hurt and seems to help a little bit when Google determines the pages relevancy, but clearly Google pays more attention to A. the sites overall authority and B. the context of the content (relevent keywords etc). Now the issue I have with Bing is that it seems to really take the domain and Title relevance a little too far. From what I've seen whilst Bing does value context and overall authority the value it places on domain and title relevance seems slightly disproportionate. So basically get links from sites which not only have relevant keywords but relevant domains and titles.

    4.Tld's

    My final point is that Bing seems to be a little bit predjudice to TLD's I'm not saying to much on this as I am currently still testing this. And the predjudice goes exactly how you'd expect. (you'll hear more on this when I have finished testing it).

    So I hope that helps as a rough guide to Bing. I expect with all the advertising they've been doing we'll be seeing their market share grow slightly so they'll be becoming more important for all of us.
    Last edited by catchingsmoke; 20 March 2010 at 2:06 pm.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catchingsmoke For This Useful Post:

    Simmo! (20 March 2010), Vrindavan (24 March 2010)

  3. #2
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    If you guys have any other questions I'd be more than happy to answer them.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to catchingsmoke For This Useful Post:

    elgoog (19 March 2010)

  5. #3
    Doolally's Avatar
    Doolally is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,570
    Thanks
    467
    Thanked 727 Times in 569 Posts

    Default

    I've noticed that Bing ranking is also affected more by keywords in the domain name itself than say Google.

  6. #4
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doolally View Post
    I've noticed that Bing ranking is also affected more by keywords in the domain name itself than say Google.
    I've been looking into this, the issue is in our competitive sector keyword domains also tend to be older domains which has been making it slightly awkward to test completely conclusively. But, I agree it does seem to have a slighly greater impact.

  7. #5
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Sinking Faster, just when I thought it couldn't get worse it did!
    Posts
    25,173
    Thanks
    1,520
    Thanked 7,081 Times in 4,506 Posts

    Default

    Don't forget about keywords in page names also.

    But that isn;'t enough alone as on-page optimization must match those keywords in the names also.

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  8. #6
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    In response to Universal I've already covered that in point 2.

    An import point all the same, but remember that these sorts of things are generally considered good form anyway.

  9. #7
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Sinking Faster, just when I thought it couldn't get worse it did!
    Posts
    25,173
    Thanks
    1,520
    Thanked 7,081 Times in 4,506 Posts

    Default

    You had NOT mentioned page name using keywords in relationship to the on-page optimization, and my post was a direct response and went along with the point that Doolally made.

    All good points in this thread so far, but please understand, there are MANY of us here who have been studying Bing, and SEO in general.

    Another thing I have noticed with Bing, and in fact their forum is full of hundreds upon hundreds of posts relating to this, is that they are much slower to get sites fully indexed, and since they are years newer with litterally millions of pages and sites less in their database, it can take time for a site to be indexed. Often there are not logical reasoning why this occurs, just that it does at times.

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  10. #8
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    It was inferred with the refference to permalink layout, that reference would infer that your permalinks be clean and it be relevant to your content. At least that is how I would interperate an "accurate permalink structure" however if you are refering to titles then yes I did not mention that.

    But, this thread was supposed to be helpful, not an arguement. :P

  11. #9
    ALEX777's Avatar
    ALEX777 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England / USSR
    Posts
    535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 76 Times in 64 Posts

    Arrow

    BTW I've noticed that Bing don't likes incontent links.

  12. #10
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Sinking Faster, just when I thought it couldn't get worse it did!
    Posts
    25,173
    Thanks
    1,520
    Thanked 7,081 Times in 4,506 Posts

    Default

    I don't believe that they don't like in-content links...I just don't think they rate them on the same scale.

    I think that in-content links can do good for you in Bing, but a link from a blackjack page (in content or not) that points to a roulette page will not be as powerful as a link from another roulette page.

    I think that is one of the key points in catchingsmoke's #3 above.

    Also, the time factor works against us a bit because, a site that does have a lot of inbound links may not score as well on links because many of the sites that contain those links may not have been ranked by Bing yet.

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  13. #11
    patmcluk's Avatar
    patmcluk is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Excuse my ignorance, but what is a TLD?

  14. #12
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Sinking Faster, just when I thought it couldn't get worse it did!
    Posts
    25,173
    Thanks
    1,520
    Thanked 7,081 Times in 4,506 Posts

    Default

    Top Level Domain.

    .com .net .co.uk .de etc....

    Rick
    Universal4
    Gambling World Online Roulette Online Blackjack Live Online Games Sports Betting Horse Racing
    Casino Affiliate Programs
    Hosting and Domain Names
    Gambling Industry Association
    GPWA Moderation by Me and My Big Bad Security Self
    If an affiliate program is not small affiliate friendly (especially small US Affiliate), then they are NOT Affiliate Friendly!

  15. #13
    arisoftnet's Avatar
    arisoftnet is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    232
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchingsmoke View Post
    So whilst not many people are really that fussed about how they rank in Bing I thought I'd give a few pointers on what Bing seems to be taking into account when ranking your page and how they differ to Google just in case somebody out there cares :P

    IMPORTANT FACT: Bing is going to become increasingly important to all of us, their markt share has pretty much doubled since July 09.

    1.Domain Age

    Well I thought I'd start with the factor which is going to leave our community with a lot of disgruntled webmasters. It seems that Bing is taking domain age and stability into account in a big way. (domain stability being the amount of time you have registered a domain for, its age and a few other minor factors). This is by no means the most important factor that I've seen, but it clearly seems to make a much larger difference than it does to Google.

    2.Keywords/onpage optimisation

    All this is taken into account in the same manner as Google, but it seems to matter slightly less in where Bing places your site, so make sure you're pages are key word optimised and that you've filled in all your meta data, alt tags, etc. and your internal linking is up to scratch. Even if it wont help you as much. Accurate permalink structure seems to play a slightly bigger part than it does in google (but I am still currently testing this point).

    3.Off Page Linking

    Now this is where the big difference comes in. Now we all like to get links on pages where our key terms in the title because it can't hurt and seems to help a little bit when Google determines the pages relevancy, but clearly Google pays more attention to A. the sites overall authority and B. the context of the content (relevent keywords etc). Now the issue I have with Bing is that it seems to really take the domain and Title relevance a little too far. From what I've seen whilst Bing does value context and overall authority the value it places on domain and title relevance seems slightly disproportionate. So basically get links from sites which not only have relevant keywords but relevant domains and titles.

    4.Tld's

    My final point is that Bing seems to be a little bit predjudice to TLD's I'm not saying to much on this as I am currently still testing this. And the predjudice goes exactly how you'd expect. (you'll hear more on this when I have finished testing it).

    So I hope that helps as a rough guide to Bing. I expect with all the advertising they've been doing we'll be seeing their market share grow slightly so they'll be becoming more important for all of us.
    Can you please tell us in what positions do u rank in bing ????

  16. #14
    jojjewestin is offline New Member
    Join Date
    March 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Stats

    Do you have the latest stats on how much search comes from Bing now, i guess it should be increasing with their efforts but how big can it be 10%?

    Regards Georg

  17. #15
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jojjewestin View Post
    Do you have the latest stats on how much search comes from Bing now, i guess it should be increasing with their efforts but how big can it be 10%?

    Regards Georg
    that depends on the country, but I've seen several "stats" (and I use the term stats loosely) most suggest the market share is somewhere between 8-17% depending on countries.

  18. #16
    pandragon's Avatar
    pandragon is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts

    Default bing

    Is Bing merging with yahoo for results? I think I heard a while ago I was wondering what happens to yahoo business directory listings if they are merging? :u

  19. #17
    pandragon's Avatar
    pandragon is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts

    Default merge

    I was in bing February page 3 but now not even there, I noticed i think end of feb bing results came out differently for all the people who were on page 1, wiki wasn't there for online casino bonuses last time and alot of people who were on page 1 dropped off - guessing that was when they merged with yahoo?

  20. #18
    catchingsmoke is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2009
    Posts
    200
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arisoftnet View Post
    Can you please tell us in what positions do u rank in bing ????

    I'm a proffesional SEO, I work with quite a few gambling sites, and I'm not really at liberty to discuss their positions in Bing, or any other search engine for that matter. As it happens they're doing quite well, but I can't give any exact figures due to privacy issues.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •