littlelambfound is offline Brand New Member
    Thanks

Default Photos for Football Betting Site

Hi,

Due to Covid-19 woes, I'm presently in the process of setting up a football betting website. I must confess that I know nothing about football or betting! Or setting up a website for that matter! So these last 2 months have been a crash course for me. Right now I've written just over 100 cornerstone articles. Once open, the site will use daily updates of "News", "Betting Predictions" and "Pre-Match Reports" to hopefully be able to reach, and then remain, on the first page of Search for some footballing KW's and terms.

But these articles will be far too "dry" without photos. As the site is being built on the world's smallest mini, mini-micro budget, how on earth can I feature photos of, say, last night's match? Getty Images and other agencies are well beyond the reach of mere impoverished mortals. Is there a workaround? How do other sites do it (OK...I guess they pay!)? But for commercial use it comes to over 300 per small photo. I haven't yet signed up with any betting companies (though I have written their respective reviews), as I wanted to get some traffic to the site first. But among the materials offered to affiliates, are there any contemporary photos?

Without signing up to any sponsors, I haven't yet been able to put up any of their API's to fill out the "stats" pages. Likewise with betting calculators. Once they're up, along with some relevant articles on current football affairs, and a little more cornerstone content, then hopefully we'll be good to go. The right hand side of the front page will prominently feature yummy sponsor bonuses and promotions. Any feedback would be most welcome. https://www.spanishfootballbets.com/ Thank you for your time. J

Mattbar is offline Private Member
    Thanks

There are plenty of free image sources if you give credit for the images. We use Wikimedia Commons (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), you can use any image where use outside wikipedia is allowed if you give credit and link to the source.

We also use Flickr, you can search for images with 'commercial use allowed' and then give credit.

Other paid for options that are a lot cheaper than Getty include BigStock and ShutterStock. If you buy image packs you can get your images for as little as 0.50 each.

Thanks

Thanks Matt. But I'm really asking to see the possibility of contemporary photos, as I will be concentrating on current "news". For example if Messi scores last night against Real Madrid. Looking through libraries, I'm stuck with six year old photos of him. Or is that the best I can hope for?

iso2009 is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Getty has an embed option for their photos, I've seen many commercial sports sites (blogs, but still commercial) using this.

TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littlelambfound View Post
    Thanks Matt. But I'm really asking to see the possibility of contemporary photos, as I will be concentrating on current "news". For example if Messi scores last night against Real Madrid. Looking through libraries, I'm stuck with six year old photos of him. Or is that the best I can hope for?
    So you're hoping to take someone's hard work (a match photographer who captured the goal being scored) and use it for free?
    I'm sure you understand that's not a successful model for the photographer.

Mattbar is offline Private Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littlelambfound View Post
    The only way to get photos that are current would be to go through an agency like Getty, or steal them, but these agencies have a solid record of taking down copyrighted content.

News outlets pay a fortune for photos and the likes of Getty know they can charge what they charge. If your site is new and not getting much traffic then you shouldn't be spending 100's on photos for pages few people will see. The quality of the content is more important than the image, yes the image enriches the post and shows relevancy but if you are on a budget then investing in good unique content will be much more worthwhile.

From a user perspective I think if your content is engaging and interesting they don't really care if you have a 6 year old photo of Messi alongside it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mattbar For This Useful Post:

Tex Holdem Questions (28 June 2020)

Thanks

You pull the assumption trigger too quickly. I spent virtually my whole life as a photographer so I know that feeling. I'm simply looking for examples of how others do it, so that I can make an informed decision, as I'm new to this. That's why we ask for advice!

baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,217 Posts

You're not going to legitimately get a free photo from last nights match outside of some kind of embedding (getty embed, instagram, twitter etc..). When you see it on other aff sites they've just pinched them from another site (which I wouldn't advise) or they've paid for them.

Someone else mentioned Getty Embed - I wouldn't personally bother as it's not great... because of the way it loads the output doesn't scale well on mobile (or at least, didn't last time I looked at it). They also add adverts over the top of the images and the load time is pretty slow. Plus you won't be able to use them as header or featured images as they have to be loaded from the getty site so I don't really count it as an image and it can only be used within the body of the text.

I'm not even sure if you're technically allowed to use it on a commercial site...

If you're willing to spend the money you can negotiate cheaper deals with getty et al. We were looking at a football news site once and PA do topical images from 2-4 each depending on how many you're going to use in a month, minimum was 300 before you got down to that kind of price though which isn't really ideal for a start up site.
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.
    baldidiot.net - Baldys affiliate blog. Will get updated one day. Maybe.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

TheGooner (23 June 2020)