Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    AussieDave's Avatar
    AussieDave is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Location
    from the land downunder
    Posts
    3,508
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,307
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 814 Posts

    Default Where does the time go?

    IDK about you, but over the years, I've registered a LOT of domains. Most, I still have. My oldest is 14 years. Which, is the catalyst for this thread. All those years gone, lots of chances in my life, but I can still remember the day I registered it. Of course with that memory, and those like it, events, people, places and what I was doing back then, all come flooding back.
    ---
    Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. It's called integrity.
    ---

    doch.news - fairness for all iGaming affiliates

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to AussieDave For This Useful Post:

    1 Click Wonder (11 February 2020)

  3. #2
    newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDave View Post
    IDK about you, but over the years, I've registered a LOT of domains. Most, I still have. My oldest is 14 years. Which, is the catalyst for this thread. All those years gone, lots of chances in my life, but I can still remember the day I registered it. Of course with that memory, and those like it, events, people, places and what I was doing back then, all come flooding back.
    Got to say that time flies by at an alarming rate, January was over in a flash (probably because I didn't observe 'Dry January' as I'd hoped to) and before you know it it'll be spring over here in the UK.

    Got one of those photo memories flash up on Facebook this morning of my kids playing in the snow from 8 years ago, all happy, smiling faces - pair of hormonal, grumpy teenagers now!

    As for domains, I've got some nearly as old as yours but let a load go recently that I'll just never, ever get to so pointless keep renewing them. Expect I'll regret one of those at some point

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newcustomeroffer For This Useful Post:

    1 Click Wonder (11 February 2020), AussieDave (5 February 2020)

  5. #3
    Topboss is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2002
    Posts
    2,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    283
    Thanked 257 Times in 124 Posts

    Default

    I still have many domains that I registered in 2001 ( plus a few from as far back as 1999 ) and also will probably never get around to developing them, but have spent so much in domain renewal fees over the years that I feel the need to ensure I make some money back from them one day LOL

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Topboss For This Useful Post:

    AussieDave (7 February 2020)

  7. #4
    AussieDave's Avatar
    AussieDave is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Location
    from the land downunder
    Posts
    3,508
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,307
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 814 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topboss View Post
    spent so much in domain renewal fees over the years that I feel the need to ensure I make some money back from them one day LOL

    Yes, that's my view too
    ---
    Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. It's called integrity.
    ---

    doch.news - fairness for all iGaming affiliates

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to AussieDave For This Useful Post:

    Topboss (8 February 2020)

  9. #5
    ddm
    ddm is online now Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Location
    Chilling in Barcelona
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 180 Times in 116 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDave View Post
    Yes, that's my view too
    lol same. tired of seeing all the idiots getting rich.
    ----

  10. #6
    jarvi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    3,305
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 438 Times in 273 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topboss View Post
    spent so much in domain renewal fees over the years that I feel the need to ensure I make some money back from them one day LOL
    You are all smart enough not to fall for the sunk cost fallacy.

    You don't have to make back the renewal fees on those particular sites. Time probably better spent on existing sites rather than developing new ones and dealing with all the stuff associated with new sites.
    James

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jarvi For This Useful Post:

    1 Click Wonder (11 February 2020), Topboss (8 February 2020)

  12. #7
    Topboss is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2002
    Posts
    2,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    283
    Thanked 257 Times in 124 Posts

    Default

    James, You are actually so right of course, but somehow I still can't quite put my finger on that Do Not Renew Button!! Something always holds me back...and then of course another year passes and another couple of thousand dollars thrown into the domain fee pit!!

  13. #8
    jarvi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 1969
    Posts
    3,305
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 438 Times in 273 Posts

    Default

    It's a pity I don't always follow my own advice Heather. Only this week I thought of a domain name, plugged it in to check and the message you already own xxx was displayed. I'm also a good one for watching a crap movie all the way through or reading a book to the end. All the while thinking, this will get better. It rarely does.

    That said, with domains and also my options trading, once I have dropped the domain or taken the loss it is out of mind. I then forget the domain name or the amount of the loss. One of those things where you have to experience it yourself to fully realise it is true.

    I don't remember the day as clearly as Dave remembers some, however, my first domain is coming up to 20 years ago. A lot of fun times and a bit of grief over the years. What I do remember more clearly is the first affiliate cheque I received. The accountant part of me still lingers deep down!
    James

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to jarvi For This Useful Post:

    1 Click Wonder (11 February 2020)

  15. #9
    Topboss is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2002
    Posts
    2,140
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    283
    Thanked 257 Times in 124 Posts

    Default

    Only this week I thought of a domain name, plugged it in to check and the message you already own xxx was displayed.
    I have had that happen before!!
    I'm also a good one for watching a crap movie all the way through or reading a book to the end. All the while thinking, this will get better. It rarely does.
    Me too!!! I always feel as though I have left it unfinished if I don't watch to the end or read to the end no matter how crap it is!!
    Us humans are funny things!
    I actually still have my first Affiliate cheque as it was for $8.25 or something like that so was not worth cashing it, but that $8.25 was the motivation that got me firmly implanted in this Business!!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Topboss For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (8 February 2020)

  17. #10
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Sinking Faster, just when I thought it couldn't get worse it did!
    Posts
    25,545
    Thanks
    1,582
    Thanked 7,261 Times in 4,609 Posts

    Default

    Hahaha,

    I have a similar experience, and why I originally bought my first gambling name.

    I recall getting a check from Casino Coins and was shocked, hey we can make money putting up ads. (I wasn't watching stats back then) I had only had a small banner on a page or two of a crappy banner farm I had built for the computer industry back in the 90's and bought my first gaming name in Spring of 2000

    I also recall joining the GPWA back in 2003 and how well I enjoyed the gang back then. I still have contact with a few of them, although some of them either are not in the industry at all or do not have time to visit much due to other reasons, and sadly some of them are gone now.

    I will also never forget the first iGaming conference I went to in 2004 in Vegas. During that trip I forged many life long friendships that have been special to me ever since. Of course that was a life changing experience for me in many ways, that only a handful of old timers would understand.

    Rick
    Universal4

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (8 February 2020), Maxfalcon (Today)

  19. #11
    Maxfalcon's Avatar
    Maxfalcon is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2002
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,561
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    Hahaha,

    I have a similar experience, and why I originally bought my first gambling name.

    I recall getting a check from Casino Coins and was shocked, hey we can make money putting up ads. (I wasn't watching stats back then) I had only had a small banner on a page or two of a crappy banner farm I had built for the computer industry back in the 90's and bought my first gaming name in Spring of 2000

    I also recall joining the GPWA back in 2003 and how well I enjoyed the gang back then. I still have contact with a few of them, although some of them either are not in the industry at all or do not have time to visit much due to other reasons, and sadly some of them are gone now.

    I will also never forget the first iGaming conference I went to in 2004 in Vegas. During that trip I forged many life long friendships that have been special to me ever since. Of course that was a life changing experience for me in many ways, that only a handful of old timers would understand.

    Rick
    Universal4
    Thank you, you made me remember my first iGaming check as well! From a now well defunct casino, Silver Vegas, there's a verrrryyy long time ago
    Gambling Pro - www.Gambling-Pro.com
    Sort Online Casinos - www.SortOnlineCasinos.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •