View Poll Results: Who would run their own sportsbook and casino if it was made easy?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would definitely operate an actual licensed gambling site if it were made easy.

    9 45.00%
  • I might very well operate an actual licensed gambling site if it were made easy.

    4 20.00%
  • I have no idea if I would operate an actual licensed gambling site if it were made easy.

    2 10.00%
  • I don't think I would operate an actual licensed gambling site if it were made easy.

    3 15.00%
  • No, I definitely would not operate an actual licensed gambling site if it were made easy.

    2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    latrobet's Avatar
    latrobet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Port Vila
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts

    Default Who would run their own sportsbook and casino if it was made easy?

    Imagine for a minute that you could get sportsbook software at an affordable price. That the market creations and finalisations were taken care of and the gaming license was thrown in for good measure... Who would run their own sportsbook?

    Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to latrobet For This Useful Post:

    Vrindavan (3 June 2016)

  3. #2
    IoannisTipbet is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    December 2015
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    I would do it without second thought.
    You just need to have a broad knowledge of all aspects in the igaming industry

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to IoannisTipbet For This Useful Post:

    adamlane (2 June 2016)

  5. #3
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,153
    Thanks
    1,883
    Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,935 Posts

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (26 May 2016)

  7. #4
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    1,147
    Thanks
    390
    Thanked 848 Times in 503 Posts

    Default

    casino yes, sports betting no ... really not my business
    Casino and Sports Betting Domain Names For Sale. Trusted Seller.

  8. #5
    IoannisTipbet is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    December 2015
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    No.
    why not?

  9. #6
    justbookies is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked 863 Times in 512 Posts

    Default

    I did set up and run one in 1998 for three years, but sold the company. Should have kept it really as made money and would have flourished, given how bad the rival UK bookmakers are. I can't get a bet on anywhere and I am not a winning punter. At least we took a bet.

    Anyway, the other issues to consider are 1) the payments system. If you want to take credit card payments legitimately then you need merchant services account with bank 2) Regulation and red tape is terrible nowadays ie: operator (and, separately, software provider) must be gambling commission licensed if you have any UK-based punters, irrespective of where you are based. It's nothing that cant be sorted out though.

    If I was younger I'd say 'yes' and do it all again because even in a saturated market like the UK there is so much opportunity for a bookmaker that would take a bet. Everyone currently operating wants millions of very small-staking losers so anyone betting just in three figures can't get on for long except at the exchanges. There are no bookies here, just accountants. But I am too old to start again, so reluctantly answer 'no'.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justbookies For This Useful Post:

    DanHorvat (8 June 2016), Mackan (19 June 2016), Sherlock (26 May 2016)

  11. #7
    JackTenSuited is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2004
    Posts
    1,014
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 339 Times in 208 Posts

    Default

    No, way to many headaches/dificulties to overcome and lots of competition (unless I had a big team behind me and a huge marketing budget).

    Much better to be an affiliate.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackTenSuited For This Useful Post:

    adamlane (2 June 2016), FruityJelena (26 May 2016)

  13. #8
    Syndicate is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2014
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 250 Times in 155 Posts

    Default

    Their are tonnes of options for taking that route - but no one in their right mind would go anywhere near such an idea. Afterall, the market is extremely competitive (saturated), you have no brand identity . And, while you might have a database of users, try getting them to sign up to an unknown.

    It's simply a ''weak'' idea, and costs are still daunting. Anyone who answers yes simply doesn't have an idea about the gaming business in general!

    And, from the name of the thread starter - This is just an advertising ploy!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Syndicate For This Useful Post:

    universal4 (26 May 2016)

  15. #9
    justbookies is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked 863 Times in 512 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    Their are tonnes of options for taking that route - but no one in their right mind would go anywhere near such an idea. Afterall, the market is extremely competitive (saturated), you have no brand identity . And, while you might have a database of users, try getting them to sign up to an unknown.

    It's simply a ''weak'' idea, and costs are still daunting. Anyone who answers yes simply doesn't have an idea about the gaming business in general!

    And, from the name of the thread starter - This is just an advertising ploy!
    I started a firm from scratch and we were absolutely inundated with sign-ups. Do some good offers, be honest and (this is the crucial bit) actually take a bet from people and you will do very very well. The only mainstream UK firm that go close to taking a bet are Bet365 and look how successful they are (they still limit and close accounts, just not as badly as the other joke firms). Nobody had heard of Bet365 prior to 2000 or so.

    I don't think the OP is doing a hard sell on anyone and if I had betting software I'd engage with this forum too. He is right, affiliates might be more interested in this sort of thing than anyone else.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justbookies For This Useful Post:

    Sherlock (26 May 2016)

  17. #10
    latrobet's Avatar
    latrobet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Port Vila
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    Their are tonnes of options for taking that route - but no one in their right mind would go anywhere near such an idea. Afterall, the market is extremely competitive (saturated), you have no brand identity . And, while you might have a database of users, try getting them to sign up to an unknown.

    It's simply a ''weak'' idea, and costs are still daunting. Anyone who answers yes simply doesn't have an idea about the gaming business in general!

    And, from the name of the thread starter - This is just an advertising ploy!
    I have never hidden that I am a platform provider. I ask as this is a real question.

    I feel that some affiliates just dont realize that operating your own book or casino is not a pipe dream. You are all obviously good marketers and committed to the industry. Maybe just maybe some quietly aspire to more than just selling someone elses brand.

    Dont just write the idea off with contempt.




    Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to latrobet For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Syndicate is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2014
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 250 Times in 155 Posts

    Default

    Then we will just have to disagree.

    You can give the same argument has bet365 to Tipico, although they had a ''get rich quick scheme'' by going into Germany and using the Franchise module. And, Bet365 are not buying in data/quotes and they spent multi millions on the platform.

    If you have some ''niche'' market in Africa/South America ''on location'' brands might work, that is if you have the contacts to get into the market.

    Online betting is saturated, and it's the reason new companies with low budgets are likely to fail.

    I've been involved with the betting industry for a very long time, and i see it everyday from the inside. I can also say that a lot of my clients have become successful, and of course i too benefitted from that! - However, online i don't see it working unless the budget is massive!

    I guess it just depends on what people expect for a return - maybe my expectation is simply too big!

    Quote Originally Posted by justbookies View Post
    I started a firm from scratch and we were absolutely inundated with sign-ups. Do some good offers, be honest and (this is the crucial bit) actually take a bet from people and you will do very very well. The only mainstream UK firm that go close to taking a bet are Bet365 and look how successful they are (they still limit and close accounts, just not as badly as the other joke firms). Nobody had heard of Bet365 prior to 2000 or so.

    I don't think the OP is doing a hard sell on anyone and if I had betting software I'd engage with this forum too. He is right, affiliates might be more interested in this sort of thing than anyone else.

  20. #12
    canaryjohn is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 68 Times in 46 Posts

    Default

    If it was that simple then yeah, I would do it in a second. All you would really need is a marketing strategy. You could look at it like being an affiliate except you get all the takings.

  21. #13
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is online now Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    2,284
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 947 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canaryjohn View Post
    If it was that simple then yeah, I would do it in a second. All you would really need is a marketing strategy. You could look at it like being an affiliate except you get all the takings.
    I could, actually I think my brand would go hand in hand with something like that

  22. #14
    justbookies is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked 863 Times in 512 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    Online betting is saturated, and it's the reason new companies with low budgets are likely to fail.

    I've been involved with the betting industry for a very long time, and i see it everyday from the inside. I can also say that a lot of my clients have become successful, and of course i too benefitted from that! - However, online i don't see it working unless the budget is massive!

    I guess it just depends on what people expect for a return - maybe my expectation is simply too big!
    We don't disagree about everything. If you do it the same as all the recreational betting sites (william hill, paddy power etc etc) then you are directly competing against them and, yes, it is a saturated market.

    I believe by actually being a bookmaker you suddenly become unique, because those firms are farcical for anyone who bets regularly and bets 'big' (though it isn't big). I have been a punter all my life and a bookmaker for part of it. If you run the risk management more like 5dimes or bookmaker.eu (ie: FFS take a bet) then you will get knocked over in the rush in the UK, a place where the only choices beyond the exchange, are the likes of BetVictor etc who close your account when you have 100 on a winner. They even rejected a bet of mine and slashed the price on the selection (and then closed the account)!

    I remember in 1999 having a meeting with the bloke who set up SBT, who was purely trying to pick our brains on the pretence of buying our company, and his aim was to get the average bet size down to as small as possible. Our aim was to get the average bet size and turnover up. His approach made him a lot of money but his firm is a pile of ****. His sort of approach is saturated. If you do that with a small new firm, you fail.

  23. #15
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    1,147
    Thanks
    390
    Thanked 848 Times in 503 Posts

    Default

    Sounds smart and logic but sounds risky too?! You don't need a huge liquidity go take that path?

  24. #16
    Triple7 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    2,689
    Thanks
    2,000
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,275 Posts

    Default

    Casinos at an affordable price are the casinos (and programs) that are slow-paying, not paying, closing their affiliate program, closing their casino after a few wins, etc.

    I would immediately start up my own online casino if I have the money for something world class. Otherwise, not. I would not start up something cheap under a C-class white label, with some dodgy license, being besides the owner, also the helpdesk guy, the affiliate manager, etc. and with the dodgiest terms to not pay out too much and too fast to not be bankrupt in after the first weekend.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Triple7 For This Useful Post:

    eenzoo (26 May 2016), Sherlock (26 May 2016)

  26. #17
    Sherlock's Avatar
    Sherlock is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2013
    Location
    WC
    Posts
    3,457
    Thanks
    1,096
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,539 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justbookies View Post
    I did set up and run one in 1998 for three years, but sold the company. Should have kept it really as made money and would have flourished, given how bad the rival UK bookmakers are. I can't get a bet on anywhere and I am not a winning punter. At least we took a bet.

    Anyway, the other issues to consider are 1) the payments system. If you want to take credit card payments legitimately then you need merchant services account with bank 2) Regulation and red tape is terrible nowadays ie: operator (and, separately, software provider) must be gambling commission licensed if you have any UK-based punters, irrespective of where you are based. It's nothing that cant be sorted out though.

    If I was younger I'd say 'yes' and do it all again because even in a saturated market like the UK there is so much opportunity for a bookmaker that would take a bet. Everyone currently operating wants millions of very small-staking losers so anyone betting just in three figures can't get on for long except at the exchanges. There are no bookies here, just accountants. But I am too old to start again, so reluctantly answer 'no'.
    I would like to hear more.

    Either way as long as there are at least few honest big bookies I will rather stick with affiliates.

    - It is no fun for me to manage people, I am scared to go in corporate way, I am scared of officialites; I like the way where I can do biz in minimalistic way
    - I really do not know how pre-baked sportsbook can bring something new to customers; if the feed of the bookie would be Pinnacle (nice odds) or Bet365 (nice offer, frontend, backend), then maybe it might be interesting to bring them to the restricted market(s)
    - I would not start without the gut feeling that here or there might be an edge (I do not have the feeling now about being a bookie, I have the feeling about other things); I think the economy has changed a lot nowadays, I think it is not enough to start doing something and doing it right. Information technologies brought scaling everywhere, not just to the internet. The value is sucked out of markets from the best or from the ones who have balls.
    - The only gut feeling now is US market and Bitcoin, because it is a nicely stuck market, but I have no US experience, I do not understand US people and I think it is important. I think we tend to think of USA like this is a market of 300+ M people. From them maybe 25% want to gamble. But all the restrictions made the number of online gamblers maybe let's say to 1%. The rest is going to LV binges etc. Now, as the new round of restrictions is emerging, we expect further downsizing of the market. But I think US citizens are able to learn how to use the Bitcoin and the market can actually grow a lot instead of and because of further restrictions.
    We are all bloodsucking ticks, hungry, devious
    each one latched on to the ass of the previous
    when the last and the first latch on it can be shown
    ass-blood sucked by the first from the last is his own

  27. #18
    justbookies is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked 863 Times in 512 Posts

    Default

    Sounds like part of you wants to set up a bitcoin-only USA-facing sportsbook. That could be a good idea if it is managed correctly. For sure, the US is THE market. If life expectancy was 200 years then I would be doing it again, but not now.
    Personally I did not like playing the role of control freak boss and being chained to a desk just dealing with one problem after another, including staffing issues. Being an affiliate gives far more freedom, but still comes with its own frustrations as you are not in control of the stats or the money. We just wait to be told what we earned - that's the big failing, we don't know for sure how much we are being ripped off.

  28. #19
    Sherlock's Avatar
    Sherlock is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2013
    Location
    WC
    Posts
    3,457
    Thanks
    1,096
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,539 Posts

    Default

    My recent problem is that I am already the boss dealing with one problem after another. Second problem is that I have much more money that I could ever imagine. And the time is running for me too!

    Gambling is my life, but seriously it is not something to be much proud of. I need to live for someone, for now it is the employees, but this model can be hardly done on large scale. But tbh being part of the progression in setting up a new monetary system is also exciting.

    So I am staying away - I see better business elsewhere for now (stronger gut feelings), I do not know US market and I have to decide if I want to retire or semi-retre. It will be interesting to watch from sidelines and take part as affiliate. I think in the US the btc bookies and the old online bookies will merge into one hybrid model soon (btc only transactions, dual currency [USD. BTC], soft KYC).
    We are all bloodsucking ticks, hungry, devious
    each one latched on to the ass of the previous
    when the last and the first latch on it can be shown
    ass-blood sucked by the first from the last is his own

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sherlock For This Useful Post:

    adamlane (2 June 2016), Triple7 (26 May 2016)

  30. #20
    justbookies is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked 863 Times in 512 Posts

    Default

    I would like your second problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •