Hi - I am based in the UK but want to purchase an Aussie domain (.com.au) - any recommendations as to where I should purchase it and I am allowed as I reside in the UK?
Any help would be hugely appreciated :)
Printable View
Hi - I am based in the UK but want to purchase an Aussie domain (.com.au) - any recommendations as to where I should purchase it and I am allowed as I reside in the UK?
Any help would be hugely appreciated :)
Hey mate
In order to purchase a .com.au domain you need to have a registered business in Australia where the business name is somehow related to the domain.
Not sure if you can register a business here unless you're a resident. You could find more info at www.business.gov.au
Hi SlotsAff
You can buy pretty much any domain you like, barring a few exceptions such as .mil, .gov. Google also favours 'local' domains in those countries searches. For example, a co.uk wont' feature too well on Google.com.au so it makes sense to purchase country specific domains if the .coms are not available.
You can buy them from godaddy for around $15us per year.
I did read your post, and it is wrong.
I bought one last year. They wouldn't approve it without supplying an ABN that clearly showed the connection to the domain.
Same info is here:
http://www.austdomains.com.au/auda.html
Quote:
Rules for Australia Domain Registration
If you want to register an Australian Domain Name, these rules will apply. During the registration process, you will be required to meet the following requirements.
.COM.AU / .NET.AU
To own a .com.au or .net.au you must be an Australian registered company, or business with a registered business number (ABN, BRN, BN).
The domain name you order should have a solid relationship to the business it represents.
For example:
Mazda Motor Company would be reasonably entitled to own:
www.mazdacars.com.au
www.mazda.com.au
www.zoomzoom.com.au
www.cars.com.au
That may be their intention, but I don't think it is enforced. Godaddy sell them, as do many others.
As I said, I bought one last year, and it was enforced.
Unless you've purchased one and you have a workaround you'd like to share?
I'd be interested in hearing it. Would definitely make it cheaper than having to register a business to buy a domain.
Thanks.
There's always work arounds for everything on the Internet. Many hosts offer a proxy, but you could also have a registered trademark. It's not going to be too difficult.
Considering the process I went through when purchasing the domain, I still don't believe it can be gotten around until I see it.
SlotsAff - Could you update the thread when you purchase your domain?
It costs over 100 bucks (almost 200 from memory) to register an Australian Business Name (ABN) so would be interested in a way around it.
Cheers
Renee is right - you need an ABN or ACN to register a .com.au or .net.au domain :(
Anyone want to do it for me? ;)