The problem with this, a lot of free software download sites, and other places, use misleading "buttons" which redirect you someplace else. Especially oversized ones. You might want to consider that, when designing your "call to action" prompts ;)
Printable View
This is something as a newbie I've particularly struggled with. Did use just images for a long time, but now moved to buttons. I still think I could improve on click through if somebody would be willing to look at my page and offer their advice?
In the old days I used mostly banners or buttons, but things have changed considerably since then. I built some sites where I used strictly text, and a few that had text and images, overall though I think text is more descriptive in most cases.
Anyone wanting specific reviews,
Best thing you can do for specifics on a certain site is start a dedicated thread here in the Freshman forum asking for a review. (Each site review should be in it's own thread)
Be specific about the things you think you need help with like calls to action, images, layout or whatever you would like and you will get suggestions about the specifics, and after getting a few it may help stimulate ideas about things you may not even have previously considered.
If for some reason the link doesn't show, just pop me a pm and I will fix it, although most members should be able to post links once they have become active and have enough posts.
Rick
Universal4
I use a combination of text and buttons. I always like to have a "Play Now" button or something similar but also a text link or two within the page.