Anthony-Coral is offline Former Employee of Coral
    Thanks

Default Content From Coral - Has Barney Curley done it again?

Bookies count the cost of winning Wednesday four-timer, has Barney done it again?

leading bookmaker coral has estimated the betting industry has been hit with a £2m payout today, after low key completed a gamble that included the earlier winners eye of the tiger, seven summits and indus valley.

“although we avoided laying some of the larger prices overnight, we did see a number of multiple bets featuring these four horses both online and in shops, and throughout the day this number increased as word of the gamble that was taking place gathered momentum. Once the name barney curley was put into the mix – although there is no official confirmation he was involved – there is no question a lot of the bets placed would have been from punters with no knowledge of any plot but who were simply joining in the gamble,” said coral’s david stevens.

“victory for all four horses has cost us a six-figure payout, and based on our losses we would estimate the industry has been hit for something in the region of £2million, which although still costly, is perhaps lower than some claims,” added stevens.

“as bookmakers we will take this on the chin as it goes with the business we’re in, but we would also look at the bigger picture, racing’s share of the betting market is decreasing, and while some punters will have profited from these winners, plenty would have bet against them in good faith, ensuring it’s not just the bookies who pay the price on days like these,” said stevens.

Ends

thebookiesoffers is offline Former Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,009 Posts

he took the right **** there. the form on one was something like 00000000 then won lol
    another hadnt ran for something like 700 days

Im sure the early prices gave the acca at about 10,000/1

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thebookiesoffers For This Useful Post:

AE-Stephen is offline Former AM
    Thanks

People say this is the ugly side to racing, I don't think it is, I think its beautiful. Its rare the bookie gets beat and like you all know it keeps them coming back for more.

To have 4 runners on the same day primed ready after long lay off's isn't easy, if it was everyone would do it.
    I think 3 out of the 4 had above average early form, followed by a few stinker races and a lay off. All of the information was there for punters if they looked hard enough.

I heard one of them beat Nakayama Festa which come Second in the Arc in 2010, although I havn't looked in to it too much as I didnt have a bet.

It was shrewd from Barney (if he even had anything to do with it), the only people ive seen complaining are the people who didnt win, if they were told about this money spinner Im sure they'd say it was brilliant.

thebookiesoffers is offline Former Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AE-Stephen View Post
    People say this is the ugly side to racing, I don't think it is, I think its beautiful. Its rare the bookie gets beat and like you all know it keeps them coming back for more.

To have 4 runners on the same day primed ready after long lay off's isn't easy, if it was everyone would do it.
    I think 3 out of the 4 had above average early form, followed by a few stinker races and a lay off. All of the information was there for punters if they looked hard enough.

I heard one of them beat Nakayama Festa which come Second in the Arc in 2010, although I havn't looked in to it too much as I didnt have a bet.

It was shrewd from Barney (if he even had anything to do with it), the only people ive seen complaining are the people who didnt win, if they were told about this money spinner Im sure they'd say it was brilliant.
    That's the thing mate, love my racing and have no problem with people lining up a gamble, end of the day it's still a gamble, end of the day whats to say 2 other trainers/owners haven't done the same in the same race.

It's running horse to purposely lose that does my napper in

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thebookiesoffers For This Useful Post:

AE-Stephen (23 January 2014)

Thanks

Oh yeah, it annoys me too Ive kinda just become used to it now.

However I can understand why trainers and owners look to manipulate a handicap mark by running horses out of form.

It costs roughly £1500-2000 a month to own a race horse minimum. Prize money is rubbish these days, last night for example at Kempton Prize money was about £1700ish in most races. Unless you own a superstar horse, how are you supposed to make a profit with an average horse.

Manipulation and the odd gamble.

Thanks

Thing that bothers me about it is when they run horses out of form or deliberately try to manipulate the handicap mark, to me it cheats any average punter betting on that race. They are expecting a relatively fair and straight race but they don;t know that this horse isn't being run to actually try and win - they seem to be entered to deliberately perform badly to attract a far higher price when they do finally race on the day of the coup

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony-Coral For This Useful Post:

justbookies is offline Private Member
    Thanks

It's the nature of the handicap system. It encourages cheating, not just for a coup but to be able to win a race with a bad horse. Also, as stated, the prizemoney in the UK is farcical. That too encourages it. Is it cheating to run a horse on its merits over the wrong trip? That was certainly the case for one of the horses yesterday. Had been running over long trips and then dropped to 6f for the gamble. You see it all the time with one particular Newmarket trainer. Gets his middle distance horses handicapped over five furlongs. He does not do it to have a bet but to win a string of races the following season. They will be trying over five furlongs, just wrong trip entirely. Everyone calls him a genius.

Thanks

^ This.

I bet on the horses frequently, and I can say that more of these gambles will fail than succeed, hence why most of the time I tend to ignore them unless I have some solid info to go with the market move. It is annoying, however its a great feeling when you ignore the market move and back something else, it drifts like a barge then hoses up. Swings and roundabouts really.

Its also something punters are becoming more and more wise to every day. I'm pretty sure Bookies have a good system in place, to spot this early and limit their liabilities.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AE-Stephen For This Useful Post:

justbookies (24 January 2014)

justbookies is offline Private Member
    Thanks

I think that is all true, but one firm's early prices were 13,000/1 the four-horse accumulator (morning prices of 10-1 Eye Of The Tiger, 6-1 Seven Summits, 20-1 Indus Valley and 7-1 Low Key: I make that an 12935/1 acca). It was also the firm that will actually take a bet from its clients and it has been notable by its total silence. Albeit it never does the PR stuff the other firms do for winning bets. I think, even with the systems they have, deliberately small-stakes Yankees could have gone well under the radar. Even £100 on the acca alone, spread in small amounts to be able to do it takes out £1.3million.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justbookies For This Useful Post:

AE-Stephen (27 January 2014), Anthony-Coral (27 January 2014)

Thanks

This is a brilliant read if you have 5 minutes: http://geoffbanksracing.wordpress.co...-or-big-bucks/

Thanks

Cheers for the link Ste - I'm no racing aficionado but I agree completely