Originally Posted by
TheGooner
The best way to create a brand is NOT to use an exact match domain as the destination.
You need to create a name in an area that can stand out by itself - and is not just a reflection of what it does.
If I think of programs that have / had good branding then places like FULL TILT POKER and BET365 stand out as places that succeeded.
FULL TILT was the usual description - it's an attitude and doesn't directly say POKER - and I'm sure that most of the search effort and branding worked with full tilt without using Poker at all. It's a similar thing with BET365 - a clever play on a betting operation that runs every day of the year. It's catchy - it works in all the gambling verticals and you see the logo everywhere and know what it it.
For affiliates I think that if you use the actual gaming element in your name then I think that you run the risk of being forgettable. Certainly in the sporting affiliate world there are hundreds of bet tips, bet tipsters, best bets, best tipsters etc sites running wordpress or joomla ... and I don't remember any of them.