The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 990 Posts

Default Dutch operators ordered to stop offering cash back bonuses

Dutch regulator Kansspelautoriteit has sent a letter to all iGaming licensees announcing that cashback bonuses are banned in the Netherlands because they encourage “excessive participation.”

In the letter, the regulator writes that offering a cashback bonus has a "stimulating effect" and if players get back part of their losses, this "contributes to taking more risk."

From the KSA:

The Gaming Authority (Ksa) has urged all licensed providers of online games of chance to stop providing bonuses in the form of cashback. The Ksa has warned the providers by letter that offering a bonus in this form is not permitted.
    With cashback bonuses, players get back part of their losses. This contributes to taking more risks and lowers the threshold to gamble. For example, by playing with higher bets or by playing more often.

Bonuses are classified as advertising activity. According to the law, advertisements may not encourage immoderate gaming behavior. In the opinion of the Ksa, this is the case with cashback bonuses.

If online providers do not immediately stop providing cashback bonuses, they risk enforcement action by the Ksa.
    Read more here: https://kansspelautoriteit.nl/nieuws...back-bonussen/

iGamingWriter is offline Private Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Now I wonder where the KSA have found the research to support this conclusion about cashback bonuses?

I find this one specifically interesting because before the online industry was a thing, the offline industry used cashback incentives as their big offer to high rollers. The online market created a rod for its own back in the form of upfront bonuses, exposing itself to all sorts of bonus abuse problems. But once upfront bonuses were on offer, which operator was going to put the gun down first?

Do cashback bonuses encourage "immoderate gambling behaviour"? They obviously cause some gambling behaviour or they wouldn't be offered. But compared to other types of bonuses/promotions, I suspect the impact of cashback has always been a bit muted.

Duncan
    iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.

BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.

newcustomeroffer is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Don't know about anyone else, but I've always felt that cashback offers are weaker than many other offers so for the KSA to be focussing on that seems a little odd to me.

I could be in the minority, but with a gambler's hat on I want to focus on positive outcomes of placing a bet so better odds, better payouts, winnings boosts - that kind of thing - rather than getting a bit back if and when I inevitably lose.
    For the latest bookmaker new customer offers visit https://www.newcustomeroffer.co.uk/

iGamingWriter is offline Private Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newcustomeroffer View Post
    Don't know about anyone else, but I've always felt that cashback offers are weaker than many other offers so for the KSA to be focussing on that seems a little odd to me.

I could be in the minority, but with a gambler's hat on I want to focus on positive outcomes of placing a bet so better odds, better payouts, winnings boosts - that kind of thing - rather than getting a bit back if and when I inevitably lose.
    You're not alone - there's a reason that upfront bonuses came to dominate the industry. Players were far more enthusiastic about them than the cashbacks that the industry had traditionally offered. The when offered the choice the market decided.

So I totally agree, it is strange for the KSA to be focusing on this type of offer. It's far less prevalent and most players are less engaged by them.
    iGamingContent.co.uk - Content writing services by some of the most experienced and knowledgeable writers in the sector.

BetBlocker.org - Responsible Gambling charity providing free blocking software to everyone.

Pokerface is offline Public Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Agree, no idea why they are targeting these bonuses. Seems like they are just grabbing a straws to appear they are actively doing something. Really no thought has gone into this decision.
    statsdrone.com

Want to try the StatsDrone for free for 30 days? Would you like a demo? DM me!