Beth_IA is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Post Facebook tool finds embarrassing status updates

Facebook can now be trawled for embarrassing status updates with a new tool. Before you post a status update, be careful what you put in there

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/17/facebook_update_privacy_risk/

megan isla is offline Public Member
    Thanks

This should be a warning to everyone, since you know that Facebook and other social networking sites added the search feature in SE, keep your posts, updates and photos in private or for Friends only. Any added features or updates from facebook, read and understand well before clicking OK and YES. Remember, Facebook has no delete your account only deactivate account.

MarkJohn is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Thanks

The good news is that you actually can permanently delete your Facebook account now, although they don't make it easy to do so.
    But, if you follow this link, you'll find that it's available. http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

This page states, 'If you do not think you will use Facebook again and would like your account deleted, we can take care of this for you. Keep in mind that you will not be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content or information you have added. If you would like your account deleted, then click "Submit."'

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkJohn For This Useful Post:

Chips (19 May 2010), JuliaS (19 May 2010), Renee (18 May 2010)

LuckyLizzy is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Thanks for the helpful info on deleting a facebook account! I had no idea that was possible.

Beth_IA is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Here is an article that gives a few tools in helping to control the privacy settings on your account.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...sparency-tool/

I personally have used the reclaimprivacy.org tool and it helped to reassure me that things were locked down and pointed out a few things that were not

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beth_IA For This Useful Post:

Renee (19 May 2010)

Chips is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJohn View Post
    The good news is that you actually can permanently delete your Facebook account now, although they don't make it easy to do so.
    But, if you follow this link, you'll find that it's available. http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

This page states, 'If you do not think you will use Facebook again and would like your account deleted, we can take care of this for you. Keep in mind that you will not be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content or information you have added. If you would like your account deleted, then click "Submit."'
    This is great news. I disabled my account and have received two friends requests since it was disabled. Had me concerned it really was not disabled. I guess there are some bots that can get through to an account even if disabled?

Off to click your link now. Thanks for sharing!

Once you confirm deletion it will render this popup:

Your account has been deactivated from the site and will be permanently deleted within 14 days. If you log into your account within the next 14 days, your account will be reactivated and you will have the option to cancel your request.
    Last edited by Chips; 19 May 2010 at 9:52 am.
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chips For This Useful Post:

Renee (19 May 2010)

Andrew UKPPL is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Wink

Very interesting read. The bottom line is ONLY FRIENDS and keep your numbers small and to those you know.

Personal facebook always had its risks.
    Andrew Capel
    Marketing Manager UKPPL

email:
    andrew@ukpremierpokerleague.com
    ukppl:
    www.gx-world.com/poker-leagues/ukppl/
    msn:
    ukppl@live.co.uk
    twitter:
    twitter.com/UKPPL
    facebook:
    andrewukppl

best.hands is offline Public Member
    Thanks

I wonder if facebook allows transfer of ownership between user accounts.