The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,119 Posts

Default Gambling site bot attacks increased by 96% during Euro 2020

According to cybersecurity company Imperva, bot traffic on sporting and gambling sites increased by 96% year-on-year in the weeks before the Euro 2020 tournament, while they increased by 26% in April alone.

From Imperva:

British and German sports gambling websites in particular were targeted. Imperva recorded upwards of 35K bad bot requests per hour on a certain gambling website around certain matches. On another betting website, Imperva researchers saw upwards of 52K bad requests per hour. All attempts were mitigated by Imperva’s Advanced Bot Protection.

Sports betting and gambling websites are lucrative targets for cybercriminals, given the amount of money that flows in and out of the online platforms on a regular basis. User accounts are a prime target as they have prize winnings or funds stored.

Like many other business sectors, the biggest automated threat to the sports betting industry is account takeover (ATO). During the tournament, we identified significant bad bot activity on the login endpoint of a certain sports betting website. The attackers were using a “low and slow” type of attack, where the number of requests remains within the threshold, to mimic legitimate login traffic in an attempt to avoid triggering security rules.
    Read more here: https://www.imperva.com/blog/bad-bot...ing-euro-2020/

mickyfu is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Hardly surpising when they go around constantly thieving from people who are rather clued up on the goings on of the internet.

universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,637 Times in 5,499 Posts

I wouldn't mind knowing exactly what the "study" classifies as bots that are included in their totals.

My theory is that seo bots and link bots very well may be included, but even if not it should be no surprise that such activity would increase. It only says "bad bot" but does not clarify what they determine as such. Since many seo type bots often do not follow directives such as robots/txt, so I wonder if those are automatically included or not.

Rick
    Universal4

yancon is offline Private Member
    Thanks

Hello!
    I get a lot of annoying emails to Japanese affiliates