Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    NvdB is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question Importance of unique title/description meta tags

    How important is it to write these yourself? If I add a lot of articles should they all have unique description tags, and can the title tag be the same as the headline of the article or will that considered duplicate content?

  2. #2
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    2,481
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    400
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 996 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NvdB View Post
    How important is it to write these yourself? If I add a lot of articles should they all have unique description tags, and can the title tag be the same as the headline of the article or will that considered duplicate content?
    Description will get picked up on its own.. so use the content.. now days it doesnt matter as google will always show "highlight" whats being searched for with its own description anyhow, Title is always important the headline should be the title, dont duplicate the H1 tag, use H2 H3.. and use different wording.. apart from not being SEO friendly.. there is no value to repeat the title and headline.. nor will it give you any extra traffic.. effectively its keywords stuffing

  3. #3
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,819
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,089 Posts

    Default

    I don't see a problem with the page title and the page heading being the same. Try to limit your page title to a maximum 70 characters, and your description to a maximum 156 characters.

  4. #4
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    2,481
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    400
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 996 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbet View Post
    I don't see a problem with the page title and the page heading being the same. Try to limit your page title to a maximum 70 characters, and your description to a maximum 156 characters.
    Google is not too friendly on it.. especially as there is no reason for it other than to keyword stuff the page? it's a good opportunity to use following titles with secondary keywords, I was hit with a Panda penalty for doing something similar.. I edited 372 duplicate title/h1 tags by hand.... within 24 hours serps were back up again

  5. #5
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,852
    Thanks
    647
    Thanked 506 Times in 359 Posts

    Default

    It is important, if they are not unique they will come up as an HTML error in google webmaster tools. Check it out to see if you have errors it can affect your serps.


    Best Regards

    Click here For The Best Online Superbowl Betting Sportsbooks.

  6. #6
    DanHorvat's Avatar
    DanHorvat is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2008
    Location
    Actual location may vary.
    Posts
    1,897
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    1,302
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 760 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbet View Post
    I don't see a problem with the page title and the page heading being the same.
    Me neither.

    Though you can avoid the dilemma altogether by having this:

    Article title: HEADING
    Page title: HEADING - CATEGORY - WEBSITE

    There are tons of other issues to worry about, this is an irrelevant topic.

  7. #7
    NvdB is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanHorvat View Post
    Me neither.

    Though you can avoid the dilemma altogether by having this:

    Article title: HEADING
    Page title: HEADING - CATEGORY - WEBSITE

    There are tons of other issues to worry about, this is an irrelevant topic.
    If that is true (and i'm not saying you're wrong), then why does almost every article on Seo say that you should write unique title and descr. tags?

  8. #8
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,253
    Thanks
    1,943
    Thanked 4,206 Times in 2,001 Posts

    Default

    You are REALLY asking why are SEO experts making things up and writing articles about them all the time ?
    The answer it is more appealing to them than saying "I dunno".


    Google has a section in webmaster tools that notifies you if you have "duplicate" title taqs or meta descriptions. The reason it does so is that when this occurs it is because in a lot of cases these titles and meta descriptions have just been set to a default phrase (perhaps the sites name) and are not descriptive of the content.

    But because it's a section, people have questions, and where there is a question there are 1000 SEO "experts" ready to offer an opinion.

    If your title and/or meta description correctly describe your content then it is not a problem - no matter if it duplicated somewhere else in the site. Search Engines are smart enough to examine the rest of the content to determine what the page is about.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    Casino Online Rating (28 January 2015), DanHorvat (26 January 2015), universal4 (26 January 2015)

  10. #9
    NvdB is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2015
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    You are REALLY asking why are SEO experts making things up and writing articles about them all the time ?
    The answer it is more appealing to them than saying "I dunno".


    Google has a section in webmaster tools that notifies you if you have "duplicate" title taqs or meta descriptions. The reason it does so is that when this occurs it is because in a lot of cases these titles and meta descriptions have just been set to a default phrase (perhaps the sites name) and are not descriptive of the content.

    But because it's a section, people have questions, and where there is a question there are 1000 SEO "experts" ready to offer an opinion.

    If your title and/or meta description correctly describe your content then it is not a problem - no matter if it duplicated somewhere else in the site. Search Engines are smart enough to examine the rest of the content to determine what the page is about.
    Ok thnx for taking the time to explain. I'm finding it difficult to get better in seo because there are so many different opinions from everybody

  11. #10
    wettFORM.AT's Avatar
    wettFORM.AT is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 62 Times in 53 Posts

    Default

    you absolutely have to use unique page titles and descriptions. This is how the user can find your site and this is the reason for the click so this is very important. I donīt think itīs duplicate content but it is definitely not good to have them duplicated.
    WETTFORMAT
    https://wettformat.com
    Wett Tipps, Wettanbieter, Wettbonus

  12. #11
    tony_giles is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2015
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I think when it comes to Betting & Gambling industry - it's really hard to be found via Google organically. You have to do marketing activities otherwise, it's not possible to be be picked by users. My suggestion is viral marketing and a great content!

  13. #12
    sampendleton's Avatar
    sampendleton is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2014
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    I believe title is the first thing that catches the readers interest.
    Though a catchy title should be well associated with a great content.
    With regards to description, I think it is optional now.
    Either you put a description or google will be the one to pull the information from your site that will be use to display on the SERP.

  14. #13
    wettFORM.AT's Avatar
    wettFORM.AT is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 62 Times in 53 Posts

    Default

    I have unique descriptions as well but it seems that G uses a description that is relevant to the search term because sometimes or most of the time the unique description is not shown in the results.
    WETTFORMAT
    https://wettformat.com
    Wett Tipps, Wettanbieter, Wettbonus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •