Large Football Blog - new to affiliates
Hey,
So I'm going to keep this really transparent and hope someone has some nuggets of information that will help me get started.
I'm not looking to start a portal; I have a website already, but it's 100% news, opinion and statistics. We've been open a few years, have a ton of paid content writers, and lots of users. Hopefully, the plan is to keep the current display advertising, and integrate some affiliate through content marketing - so an article on XI-utd should show the odds on their next match, or to win the season, etc.
May: 436k unique; 928k sessions; 1.35m pageviews. 85% UK with 3% Ireland.
June (1-10th): 310k unique; 473k sessions; 652k pageviews. 83% UK with 2% Ireland.
July is always our best month, and with June projected to hit 1.75m and around 900k-1m uniques, I'd love to get something in place.
I suppose my questions are:
1. Is there any tips from converting a strictly display advert site into a affiliate-aimed site, whilst still retaining the users that are there for the content? I want affiliate to be a welcome addition, rather than a slap in the face.
2. Is there any clever ways of getting started? I don't really want to start at the bottom because the site isn't new, and I think the follow we've built it worth more than starting at a 20% revshare.
3. I know it's different for everyone, but an idea of some numbers would be great. My CTR% for the advert range from 3% on the sidebar, 5% in content, and 8% below content, and this is just for basic display ads. I think I need to know the industry standards - like the CTR%, the sign-up% of those that click through, and the industry average monthly user loss (I had a bookie quote me a monthly net figure but I'm pretty sure that was too high). I just want to calculate the potential of it really in a best and worst case scenario.
You know, I'm not looking for a get-rich-quick cheatsheet, but a little push in the right direction would be fantastic - I've spent a while reading the forums and some reviews, and would be good to get more involved.
I'm going to copy in some of my 30-day demographic details, and see if these shed any light on how valuable my traffic is, and how to best approach it.
Demographics
Age:
45-54, 25.85%;
55-64, 23.05%;
25-34 16.89%;
35-44 14.79%
Gender:
96.39% Male.
Geo:
UK 84.49%;
Ireland 2.13%;
USA 1.66%;
Australia 1.38%
(no-one else above 1%)
City Geo:
London 18.22%
Leeds 6.6%;
Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield all about 3%.
Device:
Mobile 54%;
Desktop 26%
Tablet 20%;
55% Apple, compared with 39% Android.
Thanks to anyone who got this far through my babble.