The Buzz is online now GPWA Gossip Hound
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,119 Posts

Default Legal online poker coming to California?

Bill McEwen of The Fresno Bee says it's not a matter of if, but when, legal online poker comes to California. McWen says that the "questions are when and who reaps the profits."

From The Fresno Bee:

The economics are murky because most online poker sites are privately owned. But an analysis paid for by a coalition of state tribes and card rooms estimated that 489,000 Californians play online poker. The report -- done by consultants that included Tim Gage, a former state finance director -- suggests that California would reap $1 billion in fees and taxes over 10 years through legalized online poker. And a poll conducted last month by Tulchin Research indicates that two in three California voters want online poker taxed and regulated.

Given the state's $25 billion budget deficit, the potential for revenue and voter support of online poker, what are California lawmakers waiting for?

Well, passing legislation that determines winners and losers is rarely easy.

davenewgates is offline Public Member
    Thanks

The expected $1 billion revenue they will get in a decade out of poker will be big help for their economy but with poker being legal, players have high risk of playing irresponsibly and can get them to lose their bankroll deposit easily.

brainiac is offline New Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davenewgates View Post
    with poker being legal, players have high risk of playing irresponsibly and can get them to lose their bankroll deposit easily.
    I think that depends... indeed most poker players have a excentric lifestyle and huge debts, a real poker player know when to "fold".
    I usually stop playing before i run out of money, especially if i see it just isn't my day for poker

Anthony is offline GPWA/APCW Program Director
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,842 Posts

And a poll conducted last month by Tulchin Research indicates that two in three California voters want online poker taxed and regulated.

Since when did the will of the people matter???
    I am here to help if you have any issues with an affiliate program.
    Become involved in GPWA to truly make the association your own:
    Apply for Private Membership | Apply for the GPWA Seal | Partner with a GPWA Sponsor | Volunteer as a Moderator

Thanks

that is true Anthony....
    Politicians always say they do everything for the people, but some of us know that's not true

JoeAdams is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Smile

If ever online gambling will really be approved as a law in New Jersey, they'll be the first state in the US to regulate online gambling and California is expected to be the next to follow the trend.

Thanks

Joe, there is no state in the US that has regulated Online gambling yet?
    this is just...unbeliveable

cassy is offline Public Member
    Thanks

legalizing poker can be a good idea for it can be a source of tax that can be added to the government money. Through legalizing it, one player may stop playing too much and stop loosing much money as every playing table will be enclosed with vat.

best.hands is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cassy View Post
    legalizing poker can be a good idea for it can be a source of tax that can be added to the government money. Through legalizing it, one player may stop playing too much and stop loosing much money as every playing table will be enclosed with vat.
    Hmmm.. I think they'd be delighted to play more to cover the vat expense. It's math.

But, I would agree to Brainiac with this statement "a real poker player knows when to fold." Gambling is like playing with uncertainty. So, if there's part in you telling that you should leave the round for another, or the statistics shows you are not going to win, why continue? The wise player knows what to do, the impulsive one never rationalize.