Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    2,549
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,021 Posts

    Default News sites immune to affiliate UK regulations

    So as we all know pretty much anything UK gambling related requires some kind of link and disclaimer posted all over the place, however now google has started to favor low value non authorty basic content being pumped out by news sites, pretty much globally and all ranking within the top 10.. here are some examples from the top 10 uk which they dominate ... i wonder if the uk gambling commision is in agreement ?

    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...bling-uk-2021/
    https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/th...layers-3372618
    https://news.cision.com/superlenny/r...-more,c3430487

    These are just a few.. also no mention if they are sponsored or that this is the opinion of the news sites on a couple..

  2. #2
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    811
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 388 Times in 290 Posts

    Default

    Cision has been all over with multiple high value keywords (dozens at least, maybe hundreds, potentially thousands) for at least a month, maybe two or more. Multiple geos, niches.

    Pure trickery of some sort by the look of it, haven't been able to work it out. But could be it's solely on the authority behind Cision (and they're using content lifted off existing high authority sites, sometimes more than one and combining the content on the page).

    The other 2 (I think) are different, likely Google falling back into 'let's put 'news' releases up as the best results for searchers' mode again.

    I wouldn't put it past there being some PBN backlinks manipulation across the board though (for all of these)

  3. #3
    Mattbar's Avatar
    Mattbar is online now Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    881
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 633 Times in 376 Posts

    Default

    Google has been massively favouring high authority news sites since the December 2020 update, see it across the board.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mattbar For This Useful Post:

    drifter8 (5 November 2021)

  5. #4
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    2,549
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,021 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattbar View Post
    Google has been massively favouring high authority news sites since the December 2020 update, see it across the board.
    Yes but now its becoming the place to go.. crummy one page bit of bad written text, + aff links, goes to show the AI is not on at all, its like revenge of the cookie cutter sites but on single pages hosted on top news sites, do they not have any quality control there?

  6. #5
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    811
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 388 Times in 290 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderpunter View Post
    Yes but now its becoming the place to go.. crummy one page bit of bad written text, + aff links, goes to show the AI is not on at all, its like revenge of the cookie cutter sites but on single pages hosted on top news sites, do they not have any quality control there?
    No one is looking, 'just' a robot that does what it's been told to do, and the instructions are not good enough.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to chaumi For This Useful Post:

    drifter8 (11 November 2021)

  8. #6
    Mattbar's Avatar
    Mattbar is online now Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    881
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 633 Times in 376 Posts

    Default

    Google doesn't care whether the page is compliant and has warnings. That is up to the operators and the regulators. You could report them to the ASA or to the programs themselves, but ultimately it won't change anything in terms of their ability to rank sh**ty pages based on their overall authority.

    The dials will be turned back at some point I think as surely there is a lot of bounce with these generic news sites ranking for specific terms.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mattbar For This Useful Post:

    chaumi (5 November 2021), drifter8 (11 November 2021), Triple7 (5 November 2021)

  10. #7
    freespinsnodeposit is online now Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    It's frustrating as these news sites are super slow but still being rewarded just because of the authority of the site. This is the first time seeing Super Lenny (GIG Media) doing this. At least Better Collective teamed up with the Telegraph (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/betting/) to create decent content for readers, not just chuck up a one page and some links on a press release platform.

  11. #8
    Mattbar's Avatar
    Mattbar is online now Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    881
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 633 Times in 376 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freespinsnodeposit View Post
    It's frustrating as these news sites are super slow but still being rewarded just because of the authority of the site. This is the first time seeing Super Lenny (GIG Media) doing this. At least Better Collective teamed up with the Telegraph (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/betting/) to create decent content for readers, not just chuck up a one page and some links on a press release platform.
    Even the Telegraph is poor though, best this and best that and a load of tips basically.

    Think of it from their perspective, if you had their link profile and authority and you knew you could make a load of money with thin scammy keyword heavy pages you would.

  12. #9
    freespinsnodeposit is online now Public Member
    Join Date
    October 2020
    Location
    London
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattbar View Post
    Think of it from their perspective, if you had their link profile and authority and you knew you could make a load of money with thin scammy keyword heavy pages you would.
    Yeah, you're right there.

  13. #10
    CharlesNoble is offline Restricted Account
    Join Date
    November 2021
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I guess that the Domain Authority is the most valuable thing for ranking today, along with the content of course. Then again, the older the domain the better of course.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •