Oracle is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Default Paypal: Sports Betting Tips Subscription

I want to offer a paid service to go alongside the free sports betting tips service which is in place currently.

I am trying to decide on payment methods and subscription prices.

For the moment I will charge a small annual fee that will cover a full 'season' in a specific sport. It would probably be a case if you purchase the subscription service you will pay the same amount no matter when you paid during the season as you will get the tips for the remainder of the season.

If I use Paypal and there is a large number of subscribers, how can I know who paid for what if I offer monthly packages for exmple as I wont have the time to manually verify every email with a subscription package so how do large services do this?

The thing with emails is that 20 people pay for one subscription and the email is simply forwarded to everyone so I lose out on 19 potential paying subscribers. Any suggestions on how to tackle this problem?

Thanks Folks.

Anthony-Coral is offline Former Employee of Coral
    Thanks

Mmmmmm, not really my area of expertise but is there another method of delivering the tips that might allow you to exercise a greater degree of control and minimise abuse?

For example, if you displayed the tips on a website that required a login they could still share the login details with their friends but there may be a way to also reference the IP or geolocation at login. If you saw one account was getting multiple logins from a variety of locations you could warn or bar them.

Dunno - just an idea

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony-Coral For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (18 July 2014)

Anthony-Coral is offline Former Employee of Coral
    Thanks

Maybe contact Customer Services at the PayPal Merchant division?

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/merchant

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony-Coral For This Useful Post:

-Shay- (18 July 2014)

DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Thanks

universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,276 Times in 5,242 Posts

Be VERY careful if you consider using PayPal.

PayPal can and will close US accounts if they are connected to gambling. This could easily also include users paying you from a US Based account for gambling tips. (we've seen people lose accounts for simply buying or selling links to gambling sites)

Although you may or may not be in the US, will any of your customers?

Rick
    Universal4

indepthstats is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    Be VERY careful if you consider using PayPal.

PayPal can and will close US accounts if they are connected to gambling. This could easily also include users paying you from a US Based account for gambling tips. (we've seen people lose accounts for simply buying or selling links to gambling sites)

Although you may or may not be in the US, will any of your customers?

Rick
    Universal4
    This was going to be my advice. Neteller has gone a long way to legitimize themselves, but I think you can still get away with a lot there if you are small time. Paypal on the other other hand, is 100% corporate america now. They won't tolerate anything that is in any way affiliated with gambling. Legal or not.

JackTenSuited is offline Private Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indepthstats View Post
    This was going to be my advice. Neteller has gone a long way to legitimize themselves, but I think you can still get away with a lot there if you are small time. Paypal on the other other hand, is 100% corporate america now. They won't tolerate anything that is in any way affiliated with gambling. Legal or not.
    not entirely true, plenty of UK bookies pay and accept paypal, I've even paid various tipster services through paypal.
    Obviously it depends where you are based etc.

indepthstats is offline Public Member
    Thanks

That's a good point. I would assume that the Terms of Service would be the same for all users, but they may very well be different for those in locales where gambling online is 100% legal.

But as mentioned above you could be asking for trouble if you OR YOUR VISITORS are based in the US.

Best of luck regardless of the method you choose.

universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,276 Times in 5,242 Posts

There are a LOT of personal stories here at the gpwa where US based affiliates have lost paypal accounts due to connections made by paypal with gambling.

This can be due to using it to pay for or receive funds for links on gambling websites, purchasing traffic for gambling websites, and even the use of the trademarked name "payal" on gambling websites.

ALL US based affiliates should be aware of this and be very careful, once an account is closed it is very difficult to get one re-opened again.

Rick
    Universal4

Oracle is offline Public Member
    Thanks

So any guidance on a better payment method and a delivery method that is not too expensive and can't be as easily abused as email due to one account being able to forward an email to multiple accounts?

johnp23 is offline Public Member
    Thanks

too risky