The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 907 Posts

Default PPA to host fundraiser for paralyzed veterans at Democratic Convention

The Poker Players Alliance has announced that it will host a charity poker tournament to benefit paralyzed US veterans in Denver in conjunction with the Democratic National Convention on August 26.

Scheduled to appear at the fundraiser are actor Ben Affleck and poker pros Barry Greenstein and Andy Bloch. The three, and others in attendance, will duel it out in a charity poker tournament with a 2009 World Series of Poker Main Event seat on the line. In a press statement for the tournament that was distributed on Tuesday, PPA Chairman and former three-term Senator from New York Alfonse D’Amato noted, “PPA is honored to host this charity poker tournament and looks forward to raising a lot of money for these American heroes. This is a great opportunity to harness the popularity of the game of poker in order to raise much needed funds for those who have fought to protect our country and our individual freedoms – paralyzed vets.”

A reception will kick off the evening on the club level of Coors Field, home of Major League Baseball’s Colorado Rockies, at 9:30pm. Thirty minutes later, the tournament will commence. Four levels of sponsorship packages exist and are being coordinated by the PPA’s public relations firm, The Herald Group. Each level of sponsorship allows its purchasers to be able to play in the tournament. Individual spectator seats start at $250.

PPA Executive Director John Pappas told Poker News Daily, “In addition to advocacy, one of the most important things that the PPA does is help raise funds for worthy causes. We are able to leverage the popularity of poker in order to help raise thousands of dollars for charities like the Paralyzed Veterans of America, the Prevent Cancer Foundation, and Hortons Kids, while at the same time highlighting the generosity of the poker community. I think this broadens the public’s perception of online poker and puts poker players in a very positive light.”
    Now we've all read reports that Barack Obama is a fan of a good poker game ... anyone think he'll "throw his hat in the ring" and try to win a spot in the 2009 WSOP?

And another interesting thing to note ... former Senator Alfonse D'Amato is a life-long Republican ... and now he's representing a group that's setting up shop at the DNC.

Full story here ... http://www.pokernewsdaily.com/poker-...uring-dnc-256/

Chips is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

As a US Navy disabled veteran I am pleased to see this event taking shape. The VA hospitals and overall funding to the the VA has been an issue for as long as I can remember. So many of our vets are fighting strill for benifits from service connected disabilities and it is and has been an up hill battle.

So many have been denied benefits rthat they earned from service to our great nation. I would shake the hands of the creators for the "gift" given here. As a member of the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) I say thanks!
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

Thanks

Default PPA also heading to RNC

The Poker Players Alliance has announced that it will also hold a charity poker tournament in Minneapolis in conjunction with the Republican National Convention, once again to benefit the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

http://www.pokernewsdaily.com/ppa-an...nt-at-rnc-296/

Thanks

Default Bloomberg story on the PPA's efforts

Good story by Bloomberg on the PPA's efforts to lobby the parties at the national conventions can be found here ... http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...80U&refer=home

Here are some highlights ...

"Up until this point, the minority of the public that is anti-gambling has yelled louder,'' professional poker player Andy Bloch said. "We're trying to change that.''

"We're trying to make this a larger political force,'' said Toby Moffett, a lobbyist and former Connecticut Democratic congressman who represents the poker group and urged it to sponsor the convention events. ``It shows our supporters we're not going away.''

Gamblers say the law violates individual rights. "It's a bad idea for legislators to tell people what they can and cannot do in the privacy of their own homes,'' said poker pro Chris "Jesus'' Ferguson during a lobbying trip to Washington last fall.

Online poker also is a potential source of tax revenue. "We're facing this really horrific financial situation,'' said Annie Duke, another poker pro.
    The poker players face opposition from other political forces, including Christian conservatives.

"You can't make public policy out of a group of individuals' desires,'' said Chad Hills, an analyst for gambling research and policy at Focus on the Family, the Colorado Springs-based group founded by Dr. James Dobson. "You have to say, 'How is this impacting our culture? How is this impacting our children?'''

Hills, saying the Internet functions like the public library of previous generations, said gambling shouldn't be allowed. "Some activities are not appropriate in the public library,'' Hills said. "This is one of those things.''

The poker players may benefit from growing celebrity, as popular televised contests make stars of professionals like Bloch, Ferguson, Duke, and Duke's brother Howard Lederer.

"People sitting in their homes, watching top professionals playing a game of skill, allows us to have this conversation,'' Lederer said. "If I can use my celebrity to help further the cause I truly believe in, I will do it.''

Bloch and Lederer are among those who've given the maximum individual contribution, $5,000, to PokerPAC. "We realized we had to have a voice in Congress,'' Bloch said.

"It always helps when you have someone who's very well known,'' said Representative Steve Israel, a New York Democrat and one of 48 co-sponsors of Frank's bill. "When I'm at home, it always give me a thrill when someone approaches me and says, 'I read about what you're doing on Internet poker.' That tells me how effective this cause has become.''