-
Quick 404 Question
Is it OK to redirect error pages instead of using a local 404 page? I created a 404 page but wanted to make it look like my regular website and to do so have to have it pull php files. As a result in my htaccess file I have to have it
ErrorDocument 404 xhttp://www.onlineunitedstatescasinos.com/notfound.php
instead of
ErrorDocument 404 /notfound.php
Which I know is an actual redirect instead of using a general 404.html page.
So is using the top line example in the htaccess file considered OK to do (without the "x" of course before the url)?
Thanks
-
If you are asking whether it is ok to have a custom 404 page I would say yes, it is ok as it gives you the opportunity to salvage the visitor.
However, as you see 404's you should correct them as you find them or are notified of them in webmaster tools.
Rick
Universal4
-
The are errors because some crappy website is making links to pages that do not exist. I know its OK to create a 404 page but I was wondering if its OK to create a redirect like the example above.
-
Well if the sites are creating a whole bunch of 404's pointing at you, you most likely wanna use a disavow list.
If you want to try and save traffic from the 404's use a redirect, but I would not use a redirect on standard 404 pages, but creating custom 404 pages is ok.
If you want to create a custom 404 for these specific pages that probably would be ok and then you could redirect that specific traffic, or just use the 404 you created for all 404 traffic no redirect needed.
I just went to your site and hit the link fake.php and see the custom 404 page for any 404 traffic and I personally think that is fine and possibly the preferred method.
You still may want to consider the disavow if it is a large list from the same domains though.
Rick
Universal4
-
Cool - Thanks Rick.
Yes I added the site to my disavow also.