TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,221 Times in 2,009 Posts

Default Random phone call from "iso" or "isloto" or "ICE London" ?

We just received three random calls tonight from a UK phone number from a woman wanting to speak to us. It was bad quality call - possibly a low rent call centre - or maybe she really was calling from a bus station?

She had two different phone numbers for us, one land line and one cell phone, and knew the first names of the two people who might answer - myself and my partner. SO it wasn't a complete cold call - she clearly had contact details.

Unfortunately, she was using a very "cruddy" phone system with significant delay, a bad echo, and at very low volume so it was hard to head a word she was trying to say. It was compounded by her accent that might have been Maltese, Italian, Eastern European or even Israeli ... just too hard to work out on a rubbish phone line.

At the third attempt the only thing I could understand was the syllables "isloto" (?!?) out of her and basically terminated the call with extreme prejudice ...

ME : Hello .... hello .... *silence* ... are you there? .... *silence* ... I can't hear you?
    HER : (eventually) mumble waffle mumble wibble ISLOTO mumble whisper ....
    ME : (THINKS = Again?! FFS what on earth are you about?) I'm not interested in ISLOTO ...
    HER : But I haven't mumble whisper said anything mumble whisper yet ...
    ME : I don't care, I don't want anything to do with ISLOTO ... goodbye. (I know HOW rude!)
    HER : mumble waffle ... OK ... mumble waffle ... goodbye

(AND THIS LAST CONVERSATION WAS THE BEST OF THEM)

I'm posting for three reasons :

1/ To apologise a wee bit to the lady / organisation - but honestly UPGRADE YOUR PHONE SYSTEM and SPEAK CLEARLY ...
    2/ To warn you that YOU might be on the list and they don't give up easily.
    3/ After replaying the sounds in my head this might just about be about ICE LONDON?

What is it? If anyone gets a call that sounds like this - then I'd love to know what the hell the person on the other end of the phone was mumbling about? I'm still scratching my head ....

TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,221 Times in 2,009 Posts

Repeated again today - on cell phone (no talking when answered) - and land line (male voice this time).

We've banned the number from the cell phone, and the person on the land line promised to remove our number.
    We will see.