Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53
  1. #1
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    27,246
    Thanks
    1,976
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 4,890 Posts

    Default Republishing YouTube Videos created by others

    Using other people's content, without direct permission, is still a type of content theft, whether you keep their original description and affiliate links or not.

    If you take content, created by others and republish on your website and surround that content with your advertising, thus you are profiting from the content of others, without permission, that is content theft.

    If they give you direct permission (would mean you would have to have been in contact with the content developer/owner) and they allowed you to use that content in that method then it would not be considered content theft.

    Rick
    Universal4

  2. #2
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Bella Italia
    Posts
    1,199
    Thanks
    416
    Thanked 888 Times in 524 Posts

    Default

    The YT terms are actually pretty clear:
    https://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms&gl=US section 6/c

    …by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the content in connection with the service and YouTube’s (and it’s successors’ and affiliates’) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the service and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in video Content you submit to the Service terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your videos from the Service. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of your videos that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in user comments you submit are perpetual and irrevocable.
    Ofc you can restrict the ability to embed your videos by setting rules for videos. But in case you don`t, it does not violate any rule / law to use videos in this way.
    Last edited by eenzoo; 2 April 2019 at 11:18 pm.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eenzoo For This Useful Post:

    AussieDave (3 April 2019), carllindth (3 April 2019), DaftDog (3 April 2019)

  4. #3
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    27,246
    Thanks
    1,976
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 4,890 Posts

    Default

    Well just because youtube says its ok for people to steal content does not make stealing the work of others ok.

    Rick
    Universal4

  5. #4
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Bella Italia
    Posts
    1,199
    Thanks
    416
    Thanked 888 Times in 524 Posts

    Default

    That's the point! If you upload any content on YT you agree on the terms and that makes it ok.
    Explicitly you give your consent to the use of your video.

    And ofc you don't steal the work of others. You promote it.
    In fact, embedding via third party websites and the occurring video views, helping the uploader to rank his videos better in YT search.

    If he doesn´t like it, he can switch this function off.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eenzoo For This Useful Post:

    carllindth (3 April 2019), casinoFM (5 April 2019)

  7. #5
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    27,246
    Thanks
    1,976
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 4,890 Posts

    Default

    No, I disagree it makes it ok, it may follow youtube terms, but is still not cool, just kike it's not cool to use your content...whether against terms or not.

    Using someone else's content on your own website is stealing their content.

    Rick
    Universal4

  8. #6
    DaftDog's Avatar
    DaftDog is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2008
    Posts
    1,854
    Thanks
    508
    Thanked 638 Times in 363 Posts

    Default

    I don't see anything wrong with people embedding Youtube videos on their sites. If the publisher of the video does not want this to happen, then they can deactivate the share link.

    People often share Youtube videos on this forum and nobody complains about shady behaviour when that happens.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaftDog For This Useful Post:

    AussieDave (3 April 2019), carllindth (3 April 2019), eenzoo (3 April 2019), gil.langelaan (14 May 2019)

  10. #7
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Bella Italia
    Posts
    1,199
    Thanks
    416
    Thanked 888 Times in 524 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    No, I disagree it makes it ok, it may follow youtube terms, but is still not cool, just kike it's not cool to use your content...whether against terms or not.

    Using someone else's content on your own website is stealing their content.

    Rick
    Universal4
    Sure thing - you can disagree but that will change nothing on the facts.
    Btw. If you embed a casino banner via iframe, you steal the content ofc too?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to eenzoo For This Useful Post:

    carllindth (3 April 2019)

  12. #8
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    27,246
    Thanks
    1,976
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 4,890 Posts

    Default

    No, embedding a casino banner in an iframe is NOT stealing content as the affiliate program, authorized by the property/license owners make that available to an affiliate.

    When you join an affiliate program you agree the program can close your account if they want, but I guess that makes it ok too.

    Rick
    Universal4

  13. #9
    carllindth is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2017
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    When you join an affiliate program you agree the program can close your account if they want, but I guess that makes it ok too.
    When you upload a video to YouTube, you agree to let other users use your content...thats the bottom line...it's not stealing

  14. #10
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Bella Italia
    Posts
    1,199
    Thanks
    416
    Thanked 888 Times in 524 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    No, embedding a casino banner in an iframe is NOT stealing content as the affiliate program, authorized by the property/license owners make that available to an affiliate.
    Aha ... and at the moment you upload your video on youtube you do exactly the same. You as the content owner authorize/grant a license to everyone to use the content. Period. You may find that questionable but its the same and its not stealing because I have your personal OK to use your stuff! If anybody doesn't like that he is free to disable the function or to use other upload platforms.

  15. #11
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    27,246
    Thanks
    1,976
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 4,890 Posts

    Default

    I apologize for not realizing we were completely hijacking the other thread and the topic and I have move all off topic posts to this new thread.

    I do think it is healthy to have discussions such as this, although I am disappointed that those who often write and develop their own content would think it is ok for others to just take content and republish on their own websites, in such a manner, often dressing it up as their own, just because it was originally published on a different provider


    Rick
    Universal4


    the original discussion/debate started here
    https://www.gpwa.org/forum/high-pote...247024/p2.html

  16. #12
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is online now Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    27,246
    Thanks
    1,976
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 4,890 Posts

    Default

    The moment you sign up as an affiliate, you agree to terms of service from the affiliate program they can close your account, (and most state that they can stop paying you commissions on such account)

    When an affiliate account closes your account, since you agreed, I guess that aint stealing since you agreed, they have your personal ok to close your account.

    If anyone doesn't like that they are free to join a different affiliate program.

    I personally feel it is not ok for an affiliate program to close accounts for no reason, but almost all of them have terms of service they can. I also personally feel it is not ok to just take someone videos, republish them on your own site and build pages around those videos, as if they are your own content.

    Yes sharing a video such as making a reference to one that may be pertinent to a topic discussed or when they might think it is funny and the joke fits, or possibly in the one of the many music threads etc is a slightly different manner. When someone does that they are not using those videos in a manner or method to create pages around them as being the main content, they are not pretending that the video or work is their own, or they are not creating entire pages around those videos with such an implication.

    Sharing videos on pages that might be pertinent to a discussion or article you have written, and not implying or concealing the content is not your own I would look at in a completely different light.

    Our discussion mainly started out with a basis the site in question was not doing that and in fact was receiving complaints as he stated
    I have heard a lot of complaints, of me "stealing" other creators content etc.
    I understand the analogy of an affiliate program is stretching the point a bit, but if the only reason that someone may think it is ok to just take someone else's work is because the "terms of service says it's ok" then it does fit to a degree.

    Rick
    universal4

  17. #13
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Bella Italia
    Posts
    1,199
    Thanks
    416
    Thanked 888 Times in 524 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    ..., although I am disappointed that those who often write and develop their own content would think it is ok for others to just take content and republish on their own websites, in such a manner, often dressing it up as their own, just because it was originally published on a different provider
    But that are two different pair of shoes Rick. If i publish content on my own property with my own terms ofc i dont want that someone use that content on his property. But usually, that is clearly communicated AND it is against existing laws. Sometimes even that is ok if he refers to the original source (example: if a user shares parts of your content on social media platforms).

    But if you upload content to a social platform which clearly communicates that everyone can use your content AND you can disagree if you don`t like it?! I don`t get the problem seriously. Just make a tick while uploading your content and everything is clear.

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eenzoo For This Useful Post:

    AussieDave (3 April 2019), casinoFM (5 April 2019), DaftDog (4 April 2019)

  19. #14
    AussieDave's Avatar
    AussieDave is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Location
    from the land downunder
    Posts
    3,900
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,563
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,010 Posts

    Default

    It's a moot whether one agrees with it or not. The fact is, according to YT T&C's: "You also hereby grant each user of the service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content"

    Ironically https://www.gpwa.org/terms_of_use.asp, states:

    Content

    GPWA becomes sole-owner of any and all posts made within the Site. Except in certain cases, WE DO NOT DELETE any information provided within the forums. By posting within the Site, you understand that anything you post will remain. If you have any doubt about what you are posting, DON'T POST! You represent and warrant that you either own or have the necessary rights in the contents or materials placed in the Site, to grant GPWA and other users of the Site the rights and licenses contained herein. In no case shall you "cut and paste" any content from GPWA, Verbatim, at any time.
    If we want to split hairs here, often "The Buzz" forum, will post excerpts of textual content from 3'rd party sites. While a link-back is added, I highly doubt the GPWA Staff Poster has permission (rights) to use that content. IDK, but seems to me it breaches the GPWA T&C's.

    Getting back to the YT debate. As others have said, if one doesn't want their content used outside of YT, then they "tick" the box.
    ---
    Compliance: a code word for control

    ---
    Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. It's called integrity.
    ---

    It's your right to be treated honestly: fairness for all igaming affiliates - doch.news

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AussieDave For This Useful Post:

    DaftDog (4 April 2019), eenzoo (3 April 2019)

  21. #15
    MichaelCorfman's Avatar
    MichaelCorfman is online now GPWA Executive Director
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,117
    Thanks
    838
    Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,695 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDave View Post
    If we want to split hairs here, often "The Buzz" forum, will post excerpts of textual content from 3'rd party sites. While a link-back is added, I highly doubt the GPWA Staff Poster has permission (rights) to use that content. IDK, but seems to me it breaches the GPWA T&C's.
    Actually, that use does not violate the GPWA T&C's. Under U.S. Copyright law referencing a source, and copying a limited amount of material from the source generally constitutes is what is called fair use, and such use is explicitly permitted under U.S. law. Information on the doctrine of fair use can be found here: Wikipedai article on Fair Use. Fair Use is also the reason it is legally acceptable for Google to include excerpts from the material contained on other sites in search results.

    Michael
    GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot

    Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MichaelCorfman For This Useful Post:

    AussieDave (3 April 2019), Cash Bonus (4 April 2019)

  23. #16
    AussieDave's Avatar
    AussieDave is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Location
    from the land downunder
    Posts
    3,900
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,563
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,010 Posts

    Default

    Hi Michael,

    Thanks for clarify that point.
    Though, maybe "Fair Use" should be included in the T&C's.

    Least then 'everyone' will be 100% clear on what's acceptable (legal) here, and what is not.
    ---
    Compliance: a code word for control

    ---
    Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. It's called integrity.
    ---

    It's your right to be treated honestly: fairness for all igaming affiliates - doch.news

  24. #17
    AussieDave's Avatar
    AussieDave is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Location
    from the land downunder
    Posts
    3,900
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,563
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,010 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCorfman View Post
    Actually, that use does not violate the GPWA T&C's. Under U.S. Copyright law referencing a source, and copying a limited amount of material from the source generally constitutes is what is called fair use, and such use is explicitly permitted under U.S. law. Information on the doctrine of fair use can be found here: Wikipedai article on Fair Use. Fair Use is also the reason it is legally acceptable for Google to include excerpts from the material contained on other sites in search results.
    Was a bit tired when I replied to this. Hence, had a thought about what you said, and I don't agree. Here's why...

    While the "Fair Use" Law(s) rightly grant permission for said content use by a 3'rd party, the copyright holder still remains the owner of said content. However, the GPWA "Terms of Use" specifically states:

    GPWA becomes sole-owner of any and all posts made within the Site.
    It goes on to state:

    You represent and warrant that you either own or have the necessary rights in the contents or materials placed in the Site
    One could argue that one has the necessary rights to use the content in accordance with "Fair Use" law(s). However, and reiterating: GPWA becomes sole-owner of any and all posts made within the Site

    Meaning, even content posted under "Fair Use" laws, the copyrighted content, when posted to the GPWA, becomes the property of the GPWA.


    In so far as Google... They aren't making claim to ownership of said copyright content. Whereas, GPWA is!
    Last edited by AussieDave; 4 April 2019 at 3:44 am.
    ---
    Compliance: a code word for control

    ---
    Do the right thing, even when no one is looking. It's called integrity.
    ---

    It's your right to be treated honestly: fairness for all igaming affiliates - doch.news

  25. #18
    MichaelCorfman's Avatar
    MichaelCorfman is online now GPWA Executive Director
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,117
    Thanks
    838
    Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,695 Posts

    Default

    Dave,

    There is absolutely no issue here at all. It is the post as a whole to which the ownership provision applies, not fragments within the post. Ownership can apply to a work as a whole even when the work contains material incorporated within it under the principal of fair use. As another example, ownership of a work does not imply ownership of the individual words within the work. Mind you, that does not mean someone is free to copy arbitrary segments of a post anymore than someone can copy arbitrary segments of any other copyrighted work.

    If you want to engage in discussion of the finer points of U.S. copyright law, and the rights of a copyright owner, you might first want to first consult with someone that understands the finer points of the law.

    Michael
    GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot

    Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to MichaelCorfman For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (4 April 2019)

  27. #19
    Top Domains's Avatar
    Top Domains is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2016
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 124 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    Well I hate to wade into this passionate debate, but I'm in the mood and feel just as strongly as Rick does about his position, that embedding videos anywhere you want "through the functionality of the service" is an absolute explicit right, is not wrong, and is not stealing. As has been pointed out, YouTube users have the option of disabling embedding, which doubtless many of us have seen in action. It is also close to inconceivable that those who upload to YouTube are not already aware of the embedding feature available to all before they do. I suppose it's possible that when the topic is gambling, some may want to have their cake and eat it too with regard to objecting to others embedding (such as not wanting to disable embedding because they want to be able to do it for their own videos themselves despite not wanting others to, for instance). However, there is far more than gambling to be concerned about, and embedding serves an extremely valuable purpose. It happens that I only just embedded a video on a website recently myself, the only embedding I'm doing now, having nothing to do with gambling, and I'm 100% confident the publisher of the video would be completely glad that I did.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Top Domains For This Useful Post:

    carllindth (25 April 2019)

  29. #20
    Mrmork.Jarttu84 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    We get that a lot..ppl steal our content and in the worst cases re-edits the videos removing our adds and adding theirs. We always report them as we see them but Youtube moderation seems completely random to me.. Sometimes they get removed and the user warned sometimes nothing happens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •