Malikbhai is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Default Salon Media Group minig moero on site visitors computers

In other development, it's legal for leftist news websites like Salon.com to mine their visitors' computers for bitcoin.

universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,915 Times in 4,991 Posts

More on the story here
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/14/salo...cy-monero.html

That domain may become one I add to my host file for blocking.

It has become much more of a trend when visiting sites with an adblocker turned on, seeing a message to turn it off or you can't visit the site, and at the point of visit I have the choice to visit or not.

The article does not go into detail about how the mining is done and whether it runs out of the browser cache, or whether it continues after you leave the site, and I wonder how much of a problem "crypto jacking" will become in the coming months.

Rick
    Universal4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

Muppet (19 February 2018)

Muppet is offline Private Member
    Thanks

redblueassociates, do you even read the articles you link to or discuss before rushing to express your indignation with imagined "leftist" conspiracy theories?

I don't see the problem. They are giving people who run ad-blockers a choice so they don't have to do it if they don't want to. Its obviously an experiment to see if they can earn some money from the ad-blocked traffic segment which which is seeing growth due to numerous issues with traditional advertising like animated ads that annoy their recipients, excessive mobile data consumption, and the repeated distribution of malware through ad networks. If you don't like it, don't visit their site or read their articles. No-one is forcing you to do anything.

Mining crypto in javascript is no more of a security threat than allowing third party ad networks to inject code onto web pages, a practice that has proven time and again to be an exploitable malware vector. To me the primary benefit of an ad-blocker is securing my computer from distributed malware. The fact that the ads are removed is a nice added extra. I am free to run my ad blocker which I have done for as long as I can remember and publishers are free to block me for doing that if they want to. Not worth whinging about.
    Last edited by Muppet; 19 February 2018 at 5:57 pm.

universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,915 Times in 4,991 Posts

I did NOT call them a leftist group, the OP did, and I certainly would not have classified them that way, and only moved the post to it's own thread, and dug up a story and linked to it so that others could have a small portion of background in case they did want to comment on it.

Yes, they (Salon Media) are giving visitors the choice, turn your adblockers off, or we will take computer resources away from you.

Personally, I will most likely choose to not visit their site, and if I land on their site due to a topic or story i am interested in more information about, will likely return to Google and find other sites to get more information on the topic. Had they chose to just ask to turn it off in order to browse the site etc, I most likely would just temporarily disable it and read the article as well as view the ads happily.

Whether Salon Media is successful with their tests remain to be seen, and adblockers and their increased usage is something we are all familiar with and is likely not going to diminish.

I do not use third party ad networks either (with the exception of a limited use of google ads on a few non gaming client sites) as I agree that many times this has proven to be problematic and prone to be exploited as you noted.

Rick
    Universal4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Rick, that wasn't for you. I thought it was obvious that it was directed at the OP as they were the only one to make that claim. I have no idea what Salon's political slant is, or whether they even have one, nor do I care. I also don't understand the simplistic "left vs right" worldview and the conspiracy theories that people with that mindset see in everything. Its a pretty simple experiment that their website is trying out, no idea how anyone can make the mental leap from that to a conspiracy to break the law.

TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,210 Times in 2,003 Posts

Seems a valid if unusual approach.

I'd love the idea of all the Asian / African visitors to my site (that are never going to open an account) actually mining a few tokens for me on their smart phones for a day or so.

The issue of readers paying in someway for the content that they read is an ongoing issue for content providers on the internet. Perhaps in lieu of downloading mining software that might be considered a trojan - something like the Brave Browser / BAT token might be the way to go in future ?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Something definitely has to give. People don't like ads, but they love free content, and content costs money to make. The ad networks are getting to the point where they have exhausted what little goodwill they had in the first place. Of course I am biased but I think affiliate marketing can be a decent middle ground so long as everything is disclosed and visitors know about it, but it doesn't work for everyone or everything. I don't think the crypto mining will succeed, as its a particularly bad option for mobile devices with limited battery life, but lets see how they go. At least they are trying something different.

Years ago I helped create a business that paid cash for people to view ads or market research after filling out some detailed demographic information about themselves that allowed them to be targeted by advertisers. It was crude by today's standards, but you can see the evolution of that idea in things like Facebook and Brave/BAT. Brave is definitely an interesting project that I am keeping an eye on.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Muppet For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (20 February 2018)

Malikbhai is offline Public Member
    Thanks

The fake news media only shouts when it hurts their agenda.

They're against all sorts of gambling. One cannot count the number of anti-gambling news items on these websites, but yet when the buck stops at their door; everything turns angelic.

ICOs and Cryptos are fraud but if they are mining their visitors, its all cool.

Crypto jacking eats up the CPU resources, bogs down the computers.

It's like having to choose between a good and a bad terrorist; since crypto jacking helps media with the money, everything negative around it can be censored. Everything else is still game.

TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,210 Times in 2,003 Posts

Surely it's not "hijacking" if they ask your permission ?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

AussieDave (20 February 2018), dfiocch (21 February 2018), Muppet (20 February 2018)