The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 877 Posts

Default Sports betting tipster gets warning from ASA for reality TV star's Instagram post

A reality TV star breached advertising rules by boasting a betting tipster service had helped him pay for his new car and linking to the site on his Instagram page, according to the Advertising Standards Agency (ASA).

Sam Gowland, a former Love Island contestant, told his 1.2 million followers that Thebettingman website was “the way forward” if they wanted to make money, calling it the “best source of income I ever had.”

In a post on his Instagram story dated June 2 this year, Gowland wrote:

“I told use Thursday night if u wanted to make money the betting man is the way forward for £25! 12 wins out of 14 this weekend and another winner this morning.”

“£450 quid up this weekend and over £1k up for the week! And that’s the reason I tell use to join.”
    He added:

“Best second source of income I’ve ever had … hence the new car I’m getting … not bad for £25” followed by “to join vip tips group swipe up and watch the profits roll in like the rest of the members”.
    The ASA declared Gowland failed to clearly label the post as marketing and irresponsibly promoted gambling as a means of financial security and found that even though it is not itself a betting site, promoting Thebettingman as an easy way to make money irresponsibly encouraged gambling. ASA also found that Gowland had failed to mark the post with the hashtag #ad, or the hashtags #18+ and #gambleresponsibly.

In its ruling ASA warned:

The ad must no longer appear in the form complained of. We told Person(s) unknown t/a TBM Enterprises and Thebettingman and Sam Gowland to ensure that their ads were obviously identifiable as marketing communications, for example by including a clear and prominent identifier such as #ad. We told them to ensure that their ads did not suggest that using betting tipsters was a way of achieving financial security, and not to feature a young person under 25 years of age to promote a gambling advice service.
    Read more here: https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/perso...ettingman.html

TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,146 Times in 1,969 Posts

ASA perfectly correct.
    The spruiker sounds like an "anything for a buck" snake oil salesman.