Anthony is offline GPWA/APCW Program Director
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,522 Times in 1,845 Posts

Default Super Bowl bust: U.S. government seizes 307 domains for violating NFL copyrights

This is the part of the story that I found troubling...

The seizure was conducted under U.S. civil law, not criminal law. That means the affected parties need to prove that the internet domains were not engaging in illegal activity to get them back an ugly mirror image of the country's usual "innocent until proven guilty" right.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technolo...230823821.html
    I am here to help if you have any issues with an affiliate program.
    Become involved in GPWA to truly make the association your own:
    Apply for Private Membership | Apply for the GPWA Seal | Partner with a GPWA Sponsor | Volunteer as a Moderator

Chips is offline Private Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 886 Posts

16 were suspected of illegal streaming. The rest were allegedly selling counterfeit NFL merchandise.
    So it was due to copyright violations and not tied to sports betting or wagering.
    --
    "People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity." ~Andrew Carnegie~

michael1981 is offline Public Member
    Thanks

I can understand a domain name being seized due to copyright violations, especially if its very obvious. I'm very glad this had nothing to do with the UIGEA.

justbookies is offline Private Member
    Thanks

It is only one step away from being about sports betting. It could be if they wanted it to be. If you have any domains (particularly successful websites in terms of google profile) with any non-generic sporting event, however minor, in that domain name then it is just a matter of time before you receive a very long and threatening lawyer's letter. I have been there. Could be months, could be years (depending on which authority's copyright you are infringing) but it will happen. Then what can you do but scrap the site and let it go? Copyright infringement in the USA can cost you tens of millions if it gets to court. You may think it is not an infringement but your arguments are irrelevant. It is what the USA (or whatever country) courts think that matters and it is not a fight most people can afford to even take on let alone lose, especially in the USA.