The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 967 Posts

Default UK Parliament rubberstamps mass surveillance law

A bill that has been fought against by privacy campaigners and technology companies, including Apple and Twitter, is on its way to becoming law in the U.K.

Earlier this week the House of Lords passed the Investigatory Powers Bill, which forces Internet companies to "keep records on their users for up to a year," and allows the Government to "force companies to hack into or break things they've sold so they can be spied on."

From an article in today's Independent:

Despite criticism from almost every major technology and internet company and from senior parliamentary committees the legislation has received little opposition in parliament. Early on, the only amendment that the bill received from MPs was a measure that stopped themselves being spied on, and while Labour has raised objections to the sweeping spying powers it has not voted against the bill.

Those opposing the bill argue that it has been hastily written and is being pushed through parliament too quickly to ensure that it doesn't receive full scrutiny. That has led to the bill including measures that are still undefined and so could be used by the government to force companies to do almost anything, tech firms have argued.

In all, the new bill includes a range of changes to the law that will affect normal people, and gives Britain perhaps the most extreme spying powers in the developed world.

Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg said: "This is an absolutely dreadful amendment. It should be thrown out, rejected, sent back to the House of Lords. It is fundamentally wrong. It seeks to punish those who may be innocent, to fine them for telling the truth, for saying things that people in power do not like. It goes to the heart of our free press and it should be thrown in the bin."
    How do GPWA members feel about this? What about our members based in the U.K.? Let us know your thoughts.

Here's a link the actual bill: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2016-2017/0066/17066.pdf

And here's a link to the Independent article: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/snoopers-charter-2-investigatory-powers-bill-parliament-lords-what-does-it-mean-a7423866.html

Last edited by The Buzz; 18 November 2016 at 9:01 am. Reason: typo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Buzz For This Useful Post:

Sherlock (29 November 2016)

JackTenSuited is offline Private Member
    Thanks

It's vile and disgusting. Even worse is the fact that so few people in the UK give a toss or even know about it....

Sherlock is offline Public Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,885 Posts

Nobody is ready to confront with the reality that the world is turning into totalitarian dystopia. Most people rather close eyes. Some people will write something on social networks and that is it. In the end almost nobody moves out and they all pay the taxes just to finance this bullying. So I guess people deserve it.
    We are all bloodsucking ticks, hungry, devious
    each one latched on to the ass of the previous
    when the last and the first latch on it can be shown
    ass-blood sucked by the first from the last is his own

The Buzz is offline GPWA Gossip Hound
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 967 Posts

UPDATE: Article from The Independent has a full list of agencies that can now ask for UK citizens’ browsing history, including:

• Gambling Commission
    • Financial Conduct Authority
    • Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
    • Royal Navy Police
    • Royal Military Police
    • Royal Air Force Police
    • Security Service
    • Secret Intelligence Service
    • Ministry of Defence

Here's a link to the article and full list: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7436251.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Buzz For This Useful Post:

Sherlock (29 November 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Buzz View Post
    UPDATE: Article from The Independent has a full list of agencies that can now ask for UK citizens’ browsing history, including:

• Gambling Commission
    • Financial Conduct Authority
    • Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
    • Royal Navy Police
    • Royal Military Police
    • Royal Air Force Police
    • Security Service
    • Secret Intelligence Service
    • Ministry of Defence

Here's a link to the article and full list: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7436251.html
    well I'm glad the food standards agency can have unrestricted access to my internet history.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JackTenSuited For This Useful Post:

The Buzz (29 November 2016)

Voids is offline Private Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JackTenSuited View Post
    well I'm glad the food standards agency can have unrestricted access to my internet history.....
    I've a VPN and use it religiously now. If I come under close scrutiny it probably won't be private enough, but I'm not planning on committing any crimes. The petition against the law has reached 100,000 signatures so must be debated in parliament.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voids View Post
    I've a VPN and use it religiously now. If I come under close scrutiny it probably won't be private enough, but I'm not planning on committing any crimes. The petition against the law has reached 100,000 signatures so must be debated in parliament.
    Same, I setup airvpn on my router but a few sites don't work well (sites with flash or netflix for example).

Syndicate is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Is it UK citizen, or UK resident?

I'm not sure they could impose such a law in another country. Mind you - following Brexit we might all have to go back to the Banana Republic, while other boatloads will go the other way.

Maybe we can make a trade agreement with North Korea and impose some of their policies. This total control mentality is going that way!

First their was Chairman Mao - Now Chairman May !! (or Chair woman if preferred)
    Last edited by Syndicate; 30 November 2016 at 6:00 am.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    Is it UK citizen, or UK resident?

I'm not sure they could impose such a law in another country. Mind you - following Brexit we might all have to go back to the Banana Republic, while other boatloads will go the other way.

Maybe we can make a trade agreement with North Korea and impose some of their policies. This total control mentality is going that way!

First their was Chairman Mao - Now Chairman May !! (or Chair woman if preferred)
    UK residents will be spied on. Basiclly if you have an inernet connection at home or on your phone in the UK it will be logged.....

Soon we will be taking 'freedom holidays' to North Korea

iGamer is offline Private Member
    Thanks

I only just saw this thread. There was a petition which I signed which has over 100k signatures so now will be debated in Parliament. Its probably too late though!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173199

What gets me about this, is I do not trust for one second ISPs to keep the data they collect secure. Just last year Talk Talk were hacked. I have a feeling that when someone important's data gets hacked and its found they have a healthy love of bigboobs.com thats when the law will change.

This data will be hacked for sure its not a matter of if but when.

I can recommend NordVPN which works on my Android and Mac very well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGamer View Post
    I only just saw this thread. There was a petition which I signed which has over 100k signatures so now will be debated in Parliament. Its probably too late though!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173199

What gets me about this, is I do not trust for one second ISPs to keep the data they collect secure. Just last year Talk Talk were hacked. I have a feeling that when someone important's data gets hacked and its found they have a healthy love of bigboobs.com thats when the law will change.

This data will be hacked for sure its not a matter of if but when.

I can recommend NordVPN which works on my Android and Mac very well.
    There will be, without a doubt, major leaks of our personal data at some point. So everyone should use a vpn.

The only silver lining is that hopefully hackers will go after MPs who voted for it and release their personal history to show how insane the whole thing is.