Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    JohnA is offline Public Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mla0712 View Post
    Agree on that. I would assume that the same would apply to product pages in a web shop to some extend.
    They might, or Google might give an exception to webshop pages or certain webshops under the premise that those pages are relevant for people who search for stuff like "buy iphone5s" etc.

While you could argue that the same pages would be relevant for people searching for betting picks etc., the niche might be too small to give Google a reason to give them special treatment.

On the other hand, there was an update on the 19th this month. If what happened to you happened at around that time you should maybe look into it. Some seem to believe it's related to newsworthy content receiving a boost. So, one part of that new update might be to demote timing-spensitive content that might have lost relevance due to them having happened far in the past.
    Last edited by JohnA; 26 June 2015 at 8:02 am.

JohnA is offline Public Member
    Thanks

I would also disavow all of the Russian links.

I understand there's a controversy around the disavow tool but as I see it there are only two outcomes of you using it:

1. Neutral - as in, it does nothing.
    2. Positive - you get your penalty lifted.

Just because some say that the disavow tool does nothing I'd still give it a try. I would sincerely doubt it would negatively affect your site (unless you accidentally disavow legit links).

So, considering that the worst case is that nothing happens, I believe you should definitely do it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123