-
Amp
Looks like Amp may be the new trend for mobile traffic - anybody currently using this?
Seems a bit controversial as it basically strips away functionality for the sake of speed. Seems Google has removed "Mobile Friendly" tag from SERPs and AMP has been the candidate put forward to take its place (rumored).
Personally I think in an ideal world we should strive for a near-exact experience on all devices however smart phones are smaller real estate and power - although tablets were at one point and now many people consider tablet/desktop experiences (for websites) to be pretty much the same, maybe as more phones are sold more investments will be made into performance.
-
Given most developed countries mobile networks are 4G capable and 4G is actually faster than most landline connections I see no sense in mobile having pages stripped to basics.
I have seen the AMP push in Google Webmaster Tools (or at least seen it listed), but I do not believe it is a solution to any problem.
AMP doesn't solve anything - it will die.
-
I really don't like AMP. It presents the user with a huge bar on top of the page which takes them back to the SERP. I don't know why anyone would want that on top of their site as bounce rates would surely be massively increased. It will be a shame if it turns out that AMP pages are at a huge rankings advantage, it will be interesting to see if the increased visibility makes up for the bar on top of the page and reduced functionality.
AMP is an attempt by Google to control and create a proprietary web (no matter how they dress it up) and the fact that pages are served from Google's servers underlines this fact.