Originally Posted by
Renee
I think that is the part that annoys me the most. They don't realise they are doing it.
I had a period of about 2 months where every single friend of mine would make plans with me then cancel them at the last minute because something better came along. There was one thing in particular that was so important to me, and the friend who was supposed to come and support me decided to go out on the **** the night before and tell me about 10 mins before I was about to go on stage that she can't come. I had messaged 2 days before to make sure she was still coming, and didn't hear from her until 10 mins before. That is a **** friend. And she has not even asked me why I haven't seen her. So like you said, they don't even know they are doing it. Perhaps they don't feel like it's a big deal because people don't do it to them often enough for them to care. People do it to me all the time, probably because I'm so easy going and they think I won't mind, but I do.
If I have to cancel on someone, it had better be a bloody good reason. If I know I may not be able to make it, I just don't commit to it at all, and I make sure I tell the person why.
Another example. I was supposed to go to hawaii for a week for my bday this year. A friend told me she wanted to come with and that she knew someone who worked for a travel agent and she will get flight prices for us. So while I was waiting to hear back from her so we could book it, I saw that she was posting on fb asking people where the best place to ski in NZ was for the same dates we were supposed to be going to hawaii. She didn't even bother telling me she didn't want to go anymore. So while I was waiting for her to get flight prices, the flights went up so much that I couldn't afford to go anymore. I would have gone on my own otherwise.
This topic actually really gives me the shits.