Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    sportsfreak is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2014
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts

    Default Affiliate Redirect Links getting indexed

    Hi,

    I have a question on something I just realized. When checking one of my sites indexed pages on Google I just found out that suddenly some of my affiliate links which I am redirecting are appearing in the serps. I am quite a newbie when it comes to the technical side of things so I would like to know if this is bad, how it can be changed and actually why these links suddenly appear (I dont think they were indexed before...).

    Thank you so much!

  2. #2
    mooonkey is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    Leave it, it doesnt hurt you...

  3. #3
    WATP is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2014
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Hey.

    How are you redirecting them? Are you using the raw "bookiedotcom / ? affid=" style link or a .html or .php redirect? I've seen this happen occassionally with all 3 methods, not for myself, but I've seen sometimes an affiliate code or a redirect appear on page 1 for a bookmaker in both Bing and Google. Usually they get removed after a while and you can probably make any manual adjustments via GoogleWebmasterTools.

    Here's a few things you can do! I've used "bookielink" for now to denote the redirect link regardless of which version it is.

    Make sure the outbound links on your pages have the following tag on them <a href="bookielink" rel="nofollow">Click Here to visit...</a> - this tells search engines to not follow the link out.

    If you are using a .html refresh redirect (one of those "now loading WilliamHill..." style pages) make sure to add <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"> inside the <head>... </head> part of the html on the page that refreshes the link to visit the bookie/casino.

    One last thing, if you already have all your redirect links in a folder such as "/out/", you can make a file called 'robots.txt', use FTP or whatever to stick it in the root folder on your domain and add the following to prevent the search engines from doing anything within that folder:

    User-agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /out/

    Hope that helps mate!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WATP For This Useful Post:

    DanHorvat (25 May 2014), sportsfreak (25 May 2014)

  5. #4
    DanHorvat's Avatar
    DanHorvat is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2008
    Location
    Actual location may vary.
    Posts
    1,994
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    1,418
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 783 Posts

    Default

    In your robots.txt file, add the list of directories you don't want indexed. This is an example of a robots.txt file for a Joomla site with a /link directory containing redirected aff links:

    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /administrator/
    Disallow: /cache/
    Disallow: /cli/
    Disallow: /components/
    Disallow: /includes/
    Disallow: /installation/
    Disallow: /language/
    Disallow: /link/
    Disallow: /libraries/
    Disallow: /logs/
    Disallow: /media/
    Disallow: /modules/
    Disallow: /plugins/
    Disallow: /templates/
    Disallow: /tmp/
    Professional bizdev can help you, the affiliate, to negotiate better terms with casinos. PM for details and a free evaluation of what I can do for you. All geos.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to DanHorvat For This Useful Post:

    sportsfreak (25 May 2014)

  7. #5
    sportsfreak is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2014
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Thanks guys,

    I just edited the robots.txt and hope it will do the trick. Still confused though why this suddenly happened or maybe I really just didnt notice. Actually I am working with a flytonic theme and the redirects there are automatically domain and then /visit/bla so I just entered the /visit/ in the robots.txt. I hope thats correct.

    Thanks again!

  8. #6
    DanHorvat's Avatar
    DanHorvat is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2008
    Location
    Actual location may vary.
    Posts
    1,994
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    1,418
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 783 Posts

    Default

    If the links are already indexed you might have to manually deindex them in the Google Webmaster Tools, meaning, ask for their removal from the SERPs.

    No new links will be indexed now when the folder is disallowed but these that were already indexed will stay indexed.
    Professional bizdev can help you, the affiliate, to negotiate better terms with casinos. PM for details and a free evaluation of what I can do for you. All geos.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to DanHorvat For This Useful Post:

    sportsfreak (25 May 2014)

  10. #7
    sportsfreak is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    February 2014
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanHorvat View Post
    If the links are already indexed you might have to manually deindex them in the Google Webmaster Tools, meaning, ask for their removal from the SERPs.

    No new links will be indexed now when the folder is disallowed but these that were already indexed will stay indexed.
    Glad you mentioned that, I wouldn't have done that, thx again.

  11. #8
    -Shay- is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    3,061
    Thanks
    12,175
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,685 Posts

    Default

    If they are YOUR affiliate links, why in the world would you want them to be de-indexed?

    Are they ranking or getting clicks? If so, leave them alone, count your blessings, and let the money machine print!

  12. #9
    tryme's Avatar
    tryme is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2009
    Posts
    306
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 135 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    Shay pretty much summed up my own feeling on this. Smile, hope for plenty of clicks because this is the type of thing Google is sure to resolve fairly quickly!

  13. #10
    nsawins is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2008
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 80 Times in 58 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Shay- View Post
    If they are YOUR affiliate links, why in the world would you want them to be de-indexed?

    Are they ranking or getting clicks? If so, leave them alone, count your blessings, and let the money machine print!
    LOL +1. Really, why would someone have a problem with this? That's a gift we all would love to have.
    NSAwins Football Picks - Expert NFL and College Football Picks
    USA Sportsbooks - Recommended USA Betting Sites
    Super Bowl Odds - Odds to win Super Bowl
    Free-Picks.com - Free Sports Picks

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsawins For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (26 May 2014)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •