
Originally Posted by
universal4
Thanks for the link daftdog, but there are clear instructions on ways to disable automatic updates.
I have seen automatic updates crash wordpress installs (this is documented by a client)
There is actually no way wordpress would ever be able to update any installs on my sites as I do NOT allow write access to the root folder. If I need to update wp I provide access do the updates and then remove the access again.
Personally, I am likely more security conscious than most, but I think this is not a good way forward to turn on updates that the average user can not disable by ticking a box to disable updates. This means the wordpress folks think its ok to writes to YOUR server folder, even though you told them not to.
Making the change in the config file is certainly easy enough, but that is a change from ticking or un-ticking a box that says allow updates.
Rick
Universal4
edited to add: If you look at what wordpress states,
My guess is that is what happened in this particular situation, and is a clear indication where an automatic update could break or make unwanted changes to a site and the site owner would not even know until they caught it after the fact.
By keeping updates OFF site owners have the ability to perform FULL backups immediately before any updates so if anything breaks, they know immediately and can restore the backup.