Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: SEO Redirection

  1. #1
    luckyga's Avatar
    luckyga is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    128
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 89 Times in 63 Posts

    Default SEO Redirection

    Hi,

    I've a number of old affiliate sites that I am currently winding down and not updating, once the domain reg expires I won't bother renewing them.

    In the mean time, is it worth me redirecting these old site URLs to new website homepages that I have built? Would this have a negative impact from a SEO perspective on the new sites?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    RichardV's Avatar
    RichardV is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2018
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyga View Post
    Hi,

    I've a number of old affiliate sites that I am currently winding down and not updating, once the domain reg expires I won't bother renewing them.

    In the mean time, is it worth me redirecting these old site URLs to new website homepages that I have built? Would this have a negative impact from a SEO perspective on the new sites?

    Thanks,
    i would not bother doing that if you're going to drop the domains whenever they expire you're going to lose all links again. won't look good i guess.

  3. #3
    citizen42's Avatar
    citizen42 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2017
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 72 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Yes, redirecting a lot of pages to homepage can cause problems and get the website penalized.


    What I see usually people do is redirect the old homepage to a new one.
    I'd do that if the old site had links pointing to it and some page/domain authority.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citizen42 For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (3 September 2018), luckyga (2 September 2018)

  5. #4
    Anchovy's Avatar
    Anchovy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2018
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Redirecting old web pages to your money site by 301 is considered a black hat technique - I would be very careful by doing it because the risk of google manual penalties is really high.

    Apparently, it's working very well tho, so high risk - high reward.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anchovy For This Useful Post:

    luckyga (7 September 2018)

  7. #5
    moizez is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2008
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    It depends on the quality of the domains you 301. Usually a 301 was done using great expired domains (i.e. linked from high authority websites)
    The better way whatever the authority is to link from the domain as it is instead of 301s.

    Then you can experiment with a more agressive linkbuilding.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to moizez For This Useful Post:

    luckyga (7 September 2018)

  9. #6
    schegolev100's Avatar
    schegolev100 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2018
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Hi, if old domains have a link weight it is better to extend them and put 301 redirect to new domain. If whois information and content of all domains the same, negative consequences will not be. And the links weight will be transferred to the new domain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •