Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default Another HTTPS Question - Lost Referrer Information?

    Name:  2636d25ea0aafc2ecadbf9b7c2598d90.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  21.4 KB

    As some of you are aware, I recently swapped one of my sites over to HTTPS and have seemingly had good results. One thing that irks me though is that within our affiliate programs, our links no longer show the URLs that were referred. We have a number of pages with different campaigns tracking so that helps us know what pages links are coming from but not all pages. For example, we have 50 US state articles all with the same campaign code and now we're either going to have to make a new one and change links for every damned page, or figure out how to get our referring URL data back.

    The screenshot above is MyAffiliates back end, which is what almost all of our aff partners use. Has any one else run into this issue? How'd you fix it?

  2. #2
    loquax is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2008
    Location
    Llanelli
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 124 Times in 62 Posts

    Default

    Take a look at https://moz.com/blog/meta-referrer-tag

    using <meta name="referrer" content="unsafe-url"> may help

    Jason

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to loquax For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (18 October 2017)

  4. #3
    offyourface is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2007
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 127 Times in 71 Posts

    Default

    I also recently converted a few sites over from http to https. What I've found is that betonline shows the referral data from my https sites while Bovada doesn't. So I looked at the difference between the 2 programs and my betonline links are https:// while bovada's links are still http://. I actually did a test run this morning which you can do too, just add an s to your bovada links and you will see the referring url in your stats. The click stats are instant while registrations take a few hours to sync.

    I have an email into my aff manager to confirm it is ok to add the s to the http:// on the affiliate links, but I haven't heard back yet.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to offyourface For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (18 October 2017)

  6. #4
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    3,411
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,255 Posts

    Default

    With the myaffiliate software there is usually a tab to get the links in https, however i noticed bovada doesnt offe this option (just yet)

    facebook image upload


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to wonderpunter For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (18 October 2017)

  8. #5
    LukeC is offline Non-sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    October 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    495
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 122 Times in 49 Posts

    Default

    As offyourface said, if you change your tracking link to https, then it should track fine and you'll get the referrer data.

    Just make sure when doing it that for each operator it successfully redirects to the same exact destination URL as the http version. You can use the plugin HTTPFOX within Firefox to see all the redirects along the way too.
    Head of Affiliates at Digital Fuel

  9. #6
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderpunter View Post
    With the myaffiliate software there is usually a tab to get the links in https, however i noticed bovada doesnt offe this option (just yet)

    facebook image upload
    Thanks WP. However when I checked, only 1 of our MyAffiliate programs out of 5 had an https option!

    Quote Originally Posted by offyourface View Post
    I actually did a test run this morning which you can do too, just add an s to your bovada links and you will see the referring url in your stats. The click stats are instant while registrations take a few hours to sync.

    I have an email into my aff manager to confirm it is ok to add the s to the http:// on the affiliate links, but I haven't heard back yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC View Post
    As offyourface said, if you change your tracking link to https, then it should track fine and you'll get the referrer data.
    I tried swapping http to https on the MyAff programs that did not have the option and it didn't work on any of them. Ignition Casino for example, Bovada's sister site timed out and gave a screwed up URL. For example:

    Using normal http link I'd arrive at: hxxps://www.ignitioncasino.eu/?overlay=join&referral=(my-referral-id)&refemail=
    Changing one character to https link: hxxp://www.ignitioncasino.eu/welcome/(my-referral-id)/hxxps://www.ignitioncasino.eu/?overlay=join
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •