Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    rmeeuwsen's Avatar
    rmeeuwsen is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin US
    Posts
    354
    Blog Entries
    10
    Thanks
    263
    Thanked 118 Times in 94 Posts

    Default What is the easiest way to transfer a website?

    I have not bought or sold a website in ages.

    Transferring the domain is clearly easy.

    But what about the website itself (assuming it is a wordpress site). What is the “normal” process used by most people?

    Options I’ve seen (backup everything first)
    1 New web host does it for free or for a free. May already have tools in place that might work.
    2. Duplicator WordPress Migration Plugin = Creates a package to install at the new site before you install wordpress
    3. All-in-One WP Migration = Creates a package to install at the new site after you install wordpress
    4. Manually - Backup database & all files, FTP it to the new site and then adjust.

    If it is a private/ public purchase/ sale, what is “the norm” - for an easy transfer?

    (I use the “All-in-One WP Migration” plugin and it works just fine for me)

    Background - The reason I am asking

    Recently I have been considering buying a small website just to get the design elements in place. For “small” I mean really small such as less than 200 bucks.

    I have been to flippa and seen some ridiculously priced and lousy casino sites for sale. Apparently the buyers fees for sites less than $5,000 are 5% (escrow 2.6%/$10 minimum + 2.4% payment processing fee). But they leave the transfer details up to the seller and buyer.

    I also assume a lot of them are just techniques to earn commissions on new web hosts.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to rmeeuwsen For This Useful Post:

    drifter8 (25 April 2021)

  3. #2
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,640
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 840 Times in 617 Posts

    Default

    I'd go for 1 (and have done successfully a few times)...but my hosting does it free and clearly know what they're doing.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to chaumi For This Useful Post:

    rmeeuwsen (25 April 2021)

  5. #3
    allaboutthebets's Avatar
    allaboutthebets is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2017
    Posts
    940
    Thanks
    905
    Thanked 420 Times in 304 Posts

    Default

    All in one plugin is usually very good. There are some tips online to increase the size of the plugin limit as well if needed

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allaboutthebets For This Useful Post:

    drifter8 (25 April 2021), rmeeuwsen (25 April 2021)

  7. #4
    rmeeuwsen's Avatar
    rmeeuwsen is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin US
    Posts
    354
    Blog Entries
    10
    Thanks
    263
    Thanked 118 Times in 94 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allaboutthebets View Post
    All in one plugin is usually very good. There are some tips online to increase the size of the plugin limit as well if needed
    I just bought the upgrade, because otherwise the file was too big for the free version.

  8. #5
    Strider1973's Avatar
    Strider1973 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    337
    Thanked 268 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    I prefer to do this manually in order to know what I'm doing.

    I think it's not really difficult. You just need a backup of the public_html folder + the SQL database.
    Then you create a new database, insert those details into wp-config and upload both the new webhost (through a file manager and through phpmyadmin).
    Might sound difficult but I don't think it is (because I was able to understand it

    The huge benefit of this is, that you lso know how to transfer own websites (to a cheaper / better webhost for example) and how to upload your own backups in case there are any issues with your site. So I think it's a good idea to know option 4.
    "Semper paratus!"
    My BTC Address: 1F11EJvSAab5vMQgGWGQMASr9T7LCkZjvb

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strider1973 For This Useful Post:

    drifter8 (28 October 2021), rmeeuwsen (25 April 2021)

  10. #6
    Cash Bonus's Avatar
    Cash Bonus is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,456
    Thanks
    9,163
    Thanked 3,006 Times in 2,218 Posts

    Default

    I would go for option 1 for sure instead of any of the others. I feel more comfortable and I know I can trust my web hosting provider to undergo that procedure for me.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cash Bonus For This Useful Post:

    rmeeuwsen (25 April 2021)

  12. #7
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,007
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,302 Times in 5,985 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmeeuwsen View Post
    I just bought the upgrade, because otherwise the file was too big for the free version.
    All in One has a free addon that you can also use for a single transfer that increases the size limit to 512mb. In some cases you can then do the parts independently.

    File extension is at
    https://import.wp-migration.com/

    Based on the cost, it is a decent plugin for those that like a method to make database backups for those that do not like using regular database utilities to make backups.

    Like Strider mentioned, I like that method, but I sometimes make a zip of the entire web folder, along with a database backup using something like phpmyadmin/workbench etc.

    I have also used combinations of both methods when the losing host does not offer easy access to the database etc. (all in one allows for a database only backup when needed)

    Rick
    Universal4

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    Nenad (28 April 2021), rmeeuwsen (25 April 2021)

  14. #8
    valleyarts is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2021
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I don't have a technique.

    I only use the server migration function.

    Colorful Box has excellent support, and they always help me find a solution.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to valleyarts For This Useful Post:

    rmeeuwsen (10 June 2021)

  16. #9
    insiderjoe is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2019
    Posts
    122
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    UpdraftPlus plugins for me. Easy to use and always worked well.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to insiderjoe For This Useful Post:

    rmeeuwsen (10 June 2021)

  18. #10
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,920
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,278 Posts

    Default

    I'm sure the plugins mentioned are good.
    However, after years of web dev, dealing with multiple hosts, and all the other stuff which goes hand in hand with hosting a site, while transfers usually go without a hitch, sometimes; especially when the transfer is important, Murphy's Law kicks in and creates one hell of a mess.

    This almost always has happened to me, when, I've used an automated process.

    Hence, I'm recommending option 4.

    If cPanel is on the current host, then it's child's play. There's a dedicated section within your cPanel to backup both your website and database(s). If the new host also uses cPanel you can simple use that feature (found in the backup section) with your backed up files.

    Otherwise if you don't feel comfortable doing that, lots of hosts will do that install for you

    Doing it this way ensures no extra code and what not is added to your backups. And, unless something catastrophic happens at your host while doing this process, doing the transfer is a semi-manual process, is, IMHO, a much safer option.

    Whatever you decide on, all the best with it!

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Former Member 14 For This Useful Post:

    rmeeuwsen (17 June 2021)

  20. #11
    uyams is offline Restricted Account
    Join Date
    October 2021
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I use Updraft.
    how does this work? first you will have to download and install updraft to the current website host. Then backup all the files, themes, plugins, pictures, settings to an external location (I prefer google drive).

    Next you downlaod and install updraft to the website hyou want to migrate to. then configure your updraft plugin.
    All you need to do is click on restore and select the files you want to move to the new website. depending on your file size, and internet connection, this may take between 5 minutes to about 2-5 hours

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to uyams For This Useful Post:

    rmeeuwsen (27 October 2021)

  22. #12
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,007
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,302 Times in 5,985 Posts

    Default

    I have been moving a number of wordpress sites around lately for testing, backup testing and various other reasons, and I have seen all in one and updraft both fail or get stuck on larger or more image heavy sites.

    What has never failed so far is a zip of the site folder and current backup of the database.

    Basically the plugins pretty much do that, however sometimes they do the entire thing in a single monolithic file, which is likely why it fails at times.

    Recovery requires a fresh install of wordpress, then install the plugin then import the backup.

    The zip method does NOT need that, unzip the folder, import the database, site serves. (fastest disaster recovery method)

    That backup method can be automated with scripts and crons/scheduled tasks on the server provided you do not have a space issue, and with some creative scripting you can keep a number of copies named by date.

    Rick
    Universal4

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    chaumi (27 October 2021), rmeeuwsen (27 October 2021)

  24. #13
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Some hosts will let you push between accounts, we've done that a few times.

    Other than that the easiest way we've found is managewp - just ask for admin log in to the site on the old server and then add to managewp, then clone to a new install on the server of your choice. Very easy to do.
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

    rmeeuwsen (27 October 2021)

  26. #14
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    34,007
    Thanks
    4,546
    Thanked 9,302 Times in 5,985 Posts

    Default

    Problem with some of the plugins that do such a push (can be but not necessarily is)
    domain1.fake is answering on losing host so you can log in.
    domain1.fake will not answer on gaining host unless dns changes are done.

    Once dns changes are done, domain1.fake will no longer answer on losing host.

    I agree that such a plugin "can" work, but take that into consideration, since they can not both answer on the domain name and one must answer on an ip when planning such a migration.

    Either wordpress install could be changed to answer strictly on the ip by editing the options table in the database, but that table might need editing again after a migration.

    It's nice to see so many options being displayed and recommended which options one chooses could easily depend on what host being moved to.

    Rick
    Universal4

  27. #15
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    Problem with some of the plugins that do such a push (can be but not necessarily is)
    domain1.fake is answering on losing host so you can log in.
    domain1.fake will not answer on gaining host unless dns changes are done.
    We use a temporary url, or a sub domain of the previous site if the host doesn't have temp urls (eg: newserver.site.com). Generally not a big deal to then push that live to the main url.
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to baldidiot For This Useful Post:

    universal4 (28 October 2021)

  29. #16
    squire92's Avatar
    squire92 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2019
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Hi,

    I bought a site recently, as I use cloudways for hosting (as they allow me to get hosting from Linode, Vultr, AWS or Google Cloud without to have to deal with the server config and maintenance), I used their plugin (Cloudways Wordpress Migrator), it was super easy to do, it took me 30 minutes to do the transfer and have the new domain up and running. I recommend you to have a look at their services and their plugin if you're interested in their offer They have a guide for migrations
    French-speaking sportsbetting website: ParisSportif.org - Meilleurs sites de paris sportifs
    French-speaking casino site: CasinosEnLigne.io - Meilleurs casinos en ligne

  30. #17
    gil.langelaan's Avatar
    gil.langelaan is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2018
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    966
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 308 Times in 244 Posts

    Default

    I would vote for the 1st or 4th option. They are the safest and most convenient.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •