Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: ATTN Nerds

  1. #1
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default ATTN Nerds

    OK now that I have your attention

    I have a problem solving activity for you.

    I have just moved into a double story apartment. My bedroom is downstairs and everything else is upstairs, including my modem/router.

    The wifi is not reaching my bedroom as the building is concrete.
    My router doesn't have a removable antenna.

    How do I get the wifi to reach my bedroom and be a decent signal strength.

    Go.
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:

    DanHorvat (25 November 2014)

  3. #2
    JackTenSuited is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2004
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 334 Times in 207 Posts

    Default

    You can use a 2nd routers as a 'bridge' or if your using a laptop use something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00 to increase the signal strength

  4. #3
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    Get a hotspot on your phone and use that when you cant reach it. Thats what i do.

  5. #4
    -Shay- is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    3,061
    Thanks
    12,175
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,685 Posts

    Default

    wifi repeater

  6. #5
    TravG's Avatar
    TravG is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    September 2008
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 179 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    You can buy something that boost your signal. At my old house my neighbor and I split Internet and at first he couldn't get a signal at his house. He bought some type of booster or something that increased the signal. Sorry I do not know what it is called but if you ask someone at a technology store I am sure they will know what I am talking about. It is like $50.
    Live Casino USA - the best USA live online casinos. Play USA online slots and other casino games like USA online blackjack. Play See USAlegalcasinos.com to find the best USA online casino. Want to play USA online poker? Find the best poker sites at 4DeucesPoker.com.

  7. #6
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    Thanks guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by deanimus View Post
    You can use a 2nd routers as a 'bridge' or if your using a laptop use something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00 to increase the signal strength
    My laptop gets a better signal than my phone. I'm trying to get the signal strength better for my phone because I use that most often in my bedroom and I keep going over my data limit.

    I will google how to use a second router as a bridge. Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by edgarf76 View Post
    Get a hotspot on your phone and use that when you cant reach it. Thats what i do.
    This is the problem unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by -Shay- View Post
    wifi repeater
    I bought one of these and could not figure out how to get it working. The instructions were retarded.

    I have mac address security setup on my network, so I enter each device's mac address into my router in order for them to connect. No passwords. I just find it easier. There is a place inside my router that allows me to enter the mac address of the repeater which I've done.

    I have tried putting the repeater in my bedroom which I assume is what I should be doing, and when I try to connect to it the internet drops out on whatever device is trying to connect. Am I suppose to have it hooked into the router?

    Thanks for your help with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by UltimatePokerBonus View Post
    You can buy something that boost your signal. At my old house my neighbor and I split Internet and at first he couldn't get a signal at his house. He bought some type of booster or something that increased the signal. Sorry I do not know what it is called but if you ask someone at a technology store I am sure they will know what I am talking about. It is like $50.
    I have purchased a booster aerial, however your router's aerial needs to be removable to use it, which mine is not. So now I also have a useless booster aerial :/

    I have considered just buying a new router that has a removable aerial, but then I'm not sure if I will be spending money on nothing so wanted to see if there was a better option first.

    Thanks fellow nerdians
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

  8. #7
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Wi-fi is notoriously fickle to set-up - especially if you are "crossing the streams" ie mixing router brands and technology.

    In order to get our wi-fi sharing to work best here - I actually ran an ethernet cable between two routers.

    You must have something like "Dial-a-nerd" in Sydney?
    Computer home solutions people that come to your place and fix computer / stereo / tv issues.
    Usually paid on an hourly basis. (and it takes them 20-30 minutes mostly).

    UPDATE :
    Found this ... Geeks on Call ... sounds perfect
    http://www.geeksoncall.com.au/sydney/

    Call them and them them what you told us - I bet it's solved within a day

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (25 November 2014), Renee (25 November 2014)

  10. #8
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    Well I didn't want to have to pay someone to do it because I've spent so much money moving everything over, having to take days off for tradies to come connect the internet then do something else to the internet that I had to pay extra for etc. but I guess I have no choice.

    Usually my level of nerd helps me in these situations but it's not working for this one
    Just not nerdy enough I guess.
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

  11. #9
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Wi-fi can drive you mad trying to sort out technical issues. It can be silly little things that cause it to fail.
    I'm a techy guy - but wi-fi is still a little too close to witchcraft for me!


    And sometimes spending a little money on technical advice can actually save you money.

    For instance when I moved house, I wanted a TV in the office to watch sport while working despite having no aerial socket available in the office and the only aerial being 20m away in the family lounge.

    Standard solution would be cable in an aerial socket over 20 metres ($500), redo the walls ($???) and pay for a supplementary cable feed. ($10 per month) Instead, I called in a "TV guy" who researched my situation, found a quality solution with a signal splitter, and a Sony infrared signal broadcast system.

    His time cost $50, the Sony HD TV and infrared system via his source was cheaper than retail prices of standard HD TV, and four years later the system is still working perfectly. A good geek / nerd is well worth an hours time.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (26 November 2014), Renee (27 November 2014)

  13. #10
    MMM
    MMM is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2014
    Posts
    1,764
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked 719 Times in 502 Posts

    Default

    Maybe the solution lays elsewhere..It's a sign that you, Renee, need to handle your workaholic tendencies and have limited WiFi

    Just kidding. It's great to get a reply within few minutes every time...
    Best casinos to play slot machines online for real money. Reviews of best Real Money Casinos online.
    Check OnlineBlackjackExplorer for ratings of the best casinos to play blackjack online. Which games offer the lowest house edge, as well as free blackjack games, live dealer and mobile blackjack sites.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to MMM For This Useful Post:

    Renee (27 November 2014)

  15. #11
    AE-Martyn is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    March 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,050
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    637
    Thanked 763 Times in 434 Posts

    Default


  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AE-Martyn For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (26 November 2014), rak (1 December 2014), Renee (27 November 2014)

  17. #12
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,999
    Thanks
    4,544
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 5,982 Posts

    Default

    Access point NOT BRIDGE. Many cheap router models can be set to act as an access point.

    Depending on the construction of the building, I am a little surprised that the router does not get a signal anyway, my guess is there is a lot of rebar in the concrete or maybe steel mesh.

    Many suggestions above would help....or take the office IT guy out to lunch for his help in working it out.

    Rick
    Universal4

  18. #13
    DanHorvat's Avatar
    DanHorvat is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2008
    Location
    Actual location may vary.
    Posts
    1,994
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    1,418
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 783 Posts

    Default

    I think we should visit the apartment in question to resolve the matter once and for all.

    Who'll bring beer?
    Professional bizdev can help you, the affiliate, to negotiate better terms with casinos. PM for details and a free evaluation of what I can do for you. All geos.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DanHorvat For This Useful Post:

    rak (1 December 2014), Renee (27 November 2014), TheGooner (26 November 2014)

  20. #14
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    Wi-fi can drive you mad trying to sort out technical issues. It can be silly little things that cause it to fail.
    I'm a techy guy - but wi-fi is still a little too close to witchcraft for me!


    And sometimes spending a little money on technical advice can actually save you money.

    For instance when I moved house, I wanted a TV in the office to watch sport while working despite having no aerial socket available in the office and the only aerial being 20m away in the family lounge.

    Standard solution would be cable in an aerial socket over 20 metres ($500), redo the walls ($???) and pay for a supplementary cable feed. ($10 per month) Instead, I called in a "TV guy" who researched my situation, found a quality solution with a signal splitter, and a Sony infrared signal broadcast system.

    His time cost $50, the Sony HD TV and infrared system via his source was cheaper than retail prices of standard HD TV, and four years later the system is still working perfectly. A good geek / nerd is well worth an hours time.
    So the geek guys at that URL are coming on Saturday.
    He said the way he has fixed the same issue for others is by using powerline adapters and a 2nd wifi router to allow the signal to go through the power line network.

    This is going to cost me $383.
    I'm actually crying at this cost.

    Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    Maybe the solution lays elsewhere..It's a sign that you, Renee, need to handle your workaholic tendencies and have limited WiFi

    Just kidding. It's great to get a reply within few minutes every time...
    This is quite possible, except it's my personal phone that is getting the big phone bills. If it was work stuff I wouldn't care so much

    Quote Originally Posted by AE-Martyn View Post
    Yeah this doesn't plug into my phone. It was a thought though.

    Quote Originally Posted by universal4 View Post
    Access point NOT BRIDGE. Many cheap router models can be set to act as an access point.

    Depending on the construction of the building, I am a little surprised that the router does not get a signal anyway, my guess is there is a lot of rebar in the concrete or maybe steel mesh.

    Many suggestions above would help....or take the office IT guy out to lunch for his help in working it out.

    Rick
    Universal4
    There is a signal near my bedroom door, but not inside my actual bedroom.

    This morning I was down at the cafe buying breakfast and I was able to connect and use my wifi. I can't see how I can connect and use it outside, but not inside my bloody bedroom. It's doing my head in.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanHorvat View Post
    I think we should visit the apartment in question to resolve the matter once and for all.

    Who'll bring beer?
    If someone comes to fix it I will supply the beer!
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

  21. #15
    Onno - RP Affiliates is offline Former Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    I would buy a cheap router and set it up as an acces point. You should run a cable dowstairs and place the router/accespoint downstairs. This way you don't loose speed like with wifi repeaters. The only thing is, can you run a cable downstairs?

    Short instructions
    Last edited by Onno - RP Affiliates; 27 November 2014 at 11:51 pm. Reason: typo

  22. #16
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    I have another router. I might see if the signal on that one is better than the one I'm using.
    At least it has a removable aerial so I can plug the other aerial into it. If not I will try running the cable downstairs to see if I can use it as an access point that way.

    I cancelled the appointment until I can test it out.
    Fingers crossed something works and I don't have to pay the guy all that money to fix it. Parting with that much money for something that should be easy to fix kills me.
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

  23. #17
    Onno - RP Affiliates is offline Former Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    Just to be curious but how much money is this guy charging? Because it sounds like a rip off

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onno - RP Affiliates For This Useful Post:

    rak (1 December 2014), Renee (28 November 2014)

  25. #18
    Casino Online Rating's Avatar
    Casino Online Rating is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 115 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    Renee mentioned it's $383, which indeed seems rather jaw dropping. Not that I have a comparison since I'm thankfully yet to run into a problem I didn't manage to solve myself or with help from friends.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Casino Online Rating For This Useful Post:

    Renee (28 November 2014)

  27. #19
    Bikram is offline Banned
    Join Date
    September 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Use WIFI Dongal For Downstairs


  28. #20
    Renee's Avatar
    Renee is offline Sponsor Affiliate Program
    Join Date
    August 2005
    Posts
    9,072
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,642
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 2,206 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christinaborsk View Post
    Use WIFI Dongal For Downstairs

    That wont plug into my phone


    I cancelled the geek. Spoke to some of the guys from work over the weekend and they reckon they have a solution for me as one of them had the same issue at his place. So one of them is bringing me some hardware he has and has told me to try a few things with the repeater. So I have a few more things to try and then it should be hopefully fixed.

    They all agreed that 383 bucks was a ripoff. So glad I cancelled.

    Thanks for all the suggestions. Good to know I'm amongst smart people
    __________________
    Renee, Affiliate Program Manager
    http://www.RewardsAffiliates.com
    Affiliate Program for CasinoRewards.com
    Best Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2008
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - CAP Awards 2009
    Best Casino Affiliate Manager - iGB Affiliate Awards 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •