Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Amateur's Avatar
    Amateur is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2001
    Posts
    3,771
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 145 Times in 86 Posts

    Cool VH1 - 100 Greatest Artists

    I was flipping channels and came across this program on VH1. I was highly entertained by their list, and wondered what others may think of it. I've posted my comments here and there:

    100 Alicia Keys - just getting started - already a musical genius imv
    99 Hall & Oates - bubblegum
    98 Depeche Mode -
    97 Pretenders
    96 Journey
    95 OutKast
    94 Mariah Carey - very nice voice
    93 Pearl Jam
    92 LL Cool J
    91 Green Day
    90 Elvis Costello
    89 Beastie Boys
    88 Bee Gees
    87 George Michael
    86 N.W.A.
    85 The Band
    84 Curtis Mayfield - true pioneer
    83 Earth, Wind and Fire - Yess!!!!
    82 Steely Dan - love them
    81 ABBA
    80 Mary J. Blige - she's great
    79 Eminem
    78 Judas Priest
    77 Lynyrd Skynyrd - a fav
    76 Run-D.M.C.
    75 Rush
    74 The Cure
    73 Van Morrison
    72 Janis Joplin - not enough time
    71 R.E.M.
    70 Def Leppard
    69 Tupac Shakur
    68 Otis Redding - too short,beautiful music
    67 Coldplay
    66 Justin Timberlake -very talented
    65 The Doors
    64 Talking Heads
    63 Notorious B.I.G.
    62 Genesis - love all versions
    61 Cream
    60 Whitney Houston - one of best voices ever
    59 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    58 Cheap Trick
    57 Iggy & The Stooges
    56 KISS
    55 Peter Gabriel
    54 Public Enemy
    53 Little Richard
    52 Beyoncé - hmmm
    51 Billy Joel
    50 Sade - NO!!
    49 Parliament-Funkadelic - ohhh Maggot Brain!! - get high music!!
    48 Rage Against The Machine
    47 Jay-Z
    46 Ramones
    45 Al Green - went to his church once - he sang his sermon
    44 Joni Mitchell - yep
    43 Ray Charles - Oh Yess!!
    42 Metallica
    41 Van Halen
    40 The Police
    39 The Kinks
    38 Sly & The Family Stone - one of the best
    37 Fleetwood Mac - very good
    36 Paul McCartney - yep
    35 Johnny Cash
    34 Tina Turner - Queen of Rock!!
    33 Guns N’ Roses
    32 Black Sabbath
    31 John Lennon
    30 Aerosmith
    29 Radiohead
    28 Elton John - Pioneer!!
    27 Aretha Franklin - Doesn't get any better!!
    26 Neil Young
    25 Chuck Berry
    24 The Velvet Underground
    23 AC/DC
    22 The Clash
    21 Bruce Springsteen
    20 Marvin Gaye - Master of R&B
    19 U2
    18 Pink Floyd - Dark Side is masterpiece
    17 Queen
    16 Madonna - strange genius
    15 The Beach Boys
    14 Nirvana
    13 The Who
    12 David Bowie
    11 Bob Marley
    10 Stevie Wonder - Compelling, MLK National Holiday b/c of him!!
    09 James Brown - his music changed things forever
    08 Elvis Presley
    07 Prince - Oh Yessss!!!
    06 Jimi Hendrix - A Genius - Pali Gap!!
    05 Bob Dylan
    04 Rolling Stones
    03 Led Zeppelin - Absolutely!!!
    02 Michael Jackson - Best Entertainer of All Time!!
    01 The Beatles - Undisputed No. 1 !!!

    I only commented when I had something to say, either b/c I didn't like them or don't know them.

    A few ommissions tho - how to omit Barbara Streisand, Luther Vandross, Patti Labelle, while some others are included??? Everyone's list is different, of course, but this list is supposed to be Of All Time!!

    Nat King Cole had a show with no sponsors - no commercials!!, b/c he was a Black man and no one wanted to sponsor his show, but everyone watched!! How can you forget about him???

    I guess this list was devised by 14 yr old boys!!
    Amateur
    "Lifting as we climb" - NACWC
    "...the universe has no edge and no center..."
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning" - Jennifer Crusie
    "Common Sense is not so common." - Voltaire
    TheAPage.com

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amateur For This Useful Post:

    mojo (25 September 2010)

  3. #2
    mojo's Avatar
    mojo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2005
    Posts
    4,985
    Thanks
    1,933
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,223 Posts

    Default

    I agree with your comments. Maybe not madonna so much.

    There is so much great talent but Aerosmith was always my favorite.

    Eminem is a huge talent. I remember when he first came onto the scene. My son was around 12 I think. One halloween a kid came to the door in baggy clothes and I asked him what he was. He said Eminem. When he left I told my son he didn't look like an M&M. To which I got the Mom! but I didn't know at the time.

    Sade is alright but doesn't belong there or Hall/Oates I agree. Some are missing like Cat Stevens and Jethro Tull.

    Queen is one of my favorite vocals.

    What great stuff!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •