Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    felku's Avatar
    felku is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts

    Default wordpress question

    I don't know if this topic belongs tot his area so if not sorry. By now all my sites are statics html and I want to give a try to wordpress. My question is I can change the html template to wordpress or its recommendable to use a new template. Any advice or tips will be appreciate.

  2. #2
    rak's Avatar
    rak
    rak is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,123
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 334 Times in 258 Posts

    Default

    Use WordPress templates. But not just any WordPress template. Get a Wordpress Template that is SEO'd - by that I mean their css and html structure and layout is correct for SEO.

    If you are new to WP and are still playing around with it, use the default template that comes with the WP install. It will allow you to change the header image, and you can get into the CSS and play around with the colour scheme etc.

    If you are looking for a bit more functionality such as feature sliding images, differently style layouts, look at premium themes (themes which you have to buy) - xhttp://www.elegantthemes.com/ is good.

  3. #3
    rak's Avatar
    rak
    rak is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,123
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 334 Times in 258 Posts

    Default

    Not sure how far you have gone with WP.. but I would suggest you try the following things out, to get a better handle of WP.

    Create 5 categories - where articles you write will be shelved under.
    Create 5 Pages
    Create 10 articles, and them to the categories.

    Now go to the front of your website, and see what has happened, where things have been added, how they appeared, look at their URLS.

    Next thing you should do is, go back into your WP Admin - click on settings, click on permalinks, change the permalink to "custom" and change the option to /%category%/%postname%/

    Save, and go back to your website frontpage, refresh the page, click and mouse over the links - see the nice pretty links - great for seo.


    Go back to your WP Admin - click on plugins, install plugin, search for "all in one seo", search, install the "all in one seo pack"
    Click on settings, find the all in one seo pack, see all the nice options and what it allows you to do.

    Go to an article you previous wrote, edit one of them.. notice the nice title tags, and meta tags section it has added to help you better seo you article? make some changes to that article, adding in keyword and description, save. Go find the article on your website, refresh, view the source.. and notice the new changes you have made.

    Go back to the article, add an image to the article.

    If you need a hand with finding themes, and themes that can do a particular thing, let me know - I'll find something for you.

  4. #4
    felku's Avatar
    felku is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the help so far now I don't have any experience with wordpress I only used one time for a blog to a htm site. All my sites are html but since I read about everybody using wordpress I will give a try because updating a html sometimes is a pain in the a...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,092
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked 172 Times in 120 Posts

    Default

    If your not a strong html coder then I would recommend using an existing wordpress theme. You could hire someone to make a wordpress theme that uses your current design so your readers would have an easy transition. I use wordpress on most of my new sites due to the ease of use. It's a great content management system. I find I spend more time on content than design.

    best of luck!

  6. #6
    grem's Avatar
    grem is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2010
    Location
    CBN
    Posts
    1,450
    Blog Entries
    19
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 389 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    create a subdomain first on wordpress, make a copy of your files there and make it password protected or block everything with htaccess. When you are finished you can switch to the main domain

  7. #7
    felku's Avatar
    felku is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the feedback I was thinking to hire someone but I'm worry of the costs since my budget is very limited.

  8. #8
    felku's Avatar
    felku is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    I'm trying to add an article to the homepage but I want the article to be on the homepage and not in a category.Anyone can say me how to do that

  9. #9
    rak's Avatar
    rak
    rak is offline Former AM
    Join Date
    January 2011
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,123
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 334 Times in 258 Posts

    Default

    create a page (not a post) in wordpress called "Frontpage"
    click on settings
    click on reading
    change front page displays to "A static page (select below)"
    from Front page:
    select "Frontpage" whch you created in step 1.

    click save changes.


    That page you created, will now be your frontpage, you can go into that page, add, change, remove content.. and it will always be on the front of your website.

  10. #10
    felku's Avatar
    felku is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Thanks a lot

  11. #11
    gamblingdomainer is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2011
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    You might also use the same template and get some designer to develop it for WordPress (if the design is really awesome). You can try sites like freelancer.com to find someone to do the job for a very less price...
    Selling gambling domains @ our Gambling Domain Name Sales Website | Casino Promotion Blog
    New Slot Portal : Win Slot Machines

  12. #12
    ocreditor's Avatar
    ocreditor is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    7,105
    Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,836 Posts

    Default Go for it!

    WP is a fine solution for someone with little experience or knowledge of site building, or if that's simply not your "thing." Do update the WP version and its backened when new versions come out. They keep getting better and truly offer many options in posting, tagging, searching, etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •