Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default Yahoo Directory? DMOZ?

    Does anyone know when Yahoo Directory stopped accepting gambling sites? I see one of my direct competitors who is only 26 months old in Yahoo Directory. I gave it a shot the other day and was rejected


    Also, how long should I wait between submissons to DMOZ? Do they ever respond if they choose not to add you?
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  2. #2
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    From what I remember Yahoo stopped accepting gambling website. The trick was to create a website, without any affiliate links/gambling materials and once you get accepted, then put up your stuff. I do not know if that still works, but doubt it's even worth doing it.

    DMOZ, was always corrupted always will be. It's something Google devalued a long time ago, but people still try to get in there. No matter what kind of a website you have, doubt you can get in "on your own" and even if you do, doubt it's gonna give your the backlink benefit you are hoping for.

    And no they will not respond at all. And you can be submitting for years.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to xecutable For This Useful Post:

    -Shay- (11 September 2014)

  4. #3
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,640
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 840 Times in 617 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PROFRBcom View Post
    I gave it a shot the other day and was rejected

    Did they take and keep your $299?
    Last edited by universal4; 11 September 2014 at 3:12 pm. Reason: fix quote tag

  5. #4
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xecutable View Post
    From what I remember Yahoo stopped accepting gambling website. The trick was to create a website, without any affiliate links/gambling materials and once you get accepted, then put up your stuff. I do not know if that still works, but doubt it's even worth doing it.

    DMOZ, was always corrupted always will be. It's something Google devalued a long time ago, but people still try to get in there. No matter what kind of a website you have, doubt you can get in "on your own" and even if you do, doubt it's gonna give your the backlink benefit you are hoping for.

    And no they will not respond at all. And you can be submitting for years.
    I've heard of the yahoo trick hmm. What is the trick to getting into DMOZ?

    Did they take and keep your $299?
    They haven't refunded it yet but the site no longer says they will keep it. Also, I spoke to my CC company, who put Yahoo on the phone, and Yahoo promised an answer in 48h via email. When Yahoo was off the line, my CC company said they'd charge it back if the outcome was unsatisfactory
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  6. #5
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,640
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 840 Times in 617 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PROFRBcom View Post
    I've heard of the yahoo trick hmm. What is the trick to getting into DMOZ?



    They haven't refunded it yet but the site no longer says they will keep it. Also, I spoke to my CC company, who put Yahoo on the phone, and Yahoo promised an answer in 48h via email. When Yahoo was off the line, my CC company said they'd charge it back if the outcome was unsatisfactory

    Found this buried in the t&c's...

    Please note: Yahoo Directory does not accept listings for online gambling sites and prescription drug sites. Online gambling sites are those that have gambling as their central theme, including those that accept wagers or require payment in exchange for the chance to win prizes, as well as sites that offer both information and links related primarily to the promotion of online gambling.

    And this....

    The current fee for Yahoo Directory Submit for initial consideration in the Directory is a NON-REFUNDABLE fee of US $299.00 applicable for each web site submitted that does not include adult content and/or services. If you are submitting a site offering adult content and/or services, the applicable fee for initial consideration in the Directory is a NON-REFUNDABLE FEE of US $600.00.


    Those T&c's could be out of date of course. I looked a few days ago at listing a (gambling) site and could only see the $299 price. I suspect they don't know their a**e from their elbow...

    Will be helpful if you can report back if the money bit goes the wrong way. I don't know, maybe they never actually acted on that clause.

  7. #6
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    Even if they say that the payment is non-refundable, try to charge it back anyway. It's worth a try.

  8. #7
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chaumi View Post
    The current fee for Yahoo Directory Submit for initial consideration in the Directory is a NON-REFUNDABLE fee of US $299.00 applicable for each web site submitted that does not include adult content and/or services. If you are submitting a site offering adult content and/or services, the applicable fee for initial consideration in the Directory is a NON-REFUNDABLE FEE of US $600.00.

    Those T&c's could be out of date of course. I looked a few days ago at listing a (gambling) site and could only see the $299 price. I suspect they don't know their a**e from their elbow...
    I suspect that you are correct... they don't know what they are talking about and things are out of date on the site. I dug around in the emails and found a rejection email (relevant part pasted below). I also got a response back from them regarding the phone call I had with my credit card and Yahoo support.

    August 18th rejection email

    with Yahoo! Directory Submit Order #xxxxxxx. We're sorry
    to report that your site did not qualify for listing using the
    Yahoo! Directory Submit service. Yahoo! does not accept listings for
    online gambling sites. Online gambling sites are those that
    have gambling as their central theme, including those that
    accept wagers or require payment in exchange for the chance
    to win prizes, as well as sites that offer both information and
    links related primarily to the promotion of online gambling.

    For this reason, your order has been forwarded to our billing
    team for a full refund of the Yahoo! Directory Submit fee.

    Sep 10 at 12:15 AM

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    We regret to inform you that this site was denied and a refund has been issued which will be credited to your account within 7 to 30 days.

    Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

    Thank you,

    Sincerely,

    Yahoo Directory Submit Team

    I distinctly recall having seen something about the fee being refundable when going through the process. It appears that I will be getting a refund. If they do not follow through, I clearly have enough evidence to have the Yahoo Directory fee charged back by my CC company
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  9. #8
    RacingJim is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    896
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 845 Posts

    Default

    $299 is ludicrous anyway for what is essentially a totally outdated, unhelpful way of searching for stuff online. Who actually even uses Yahoo Directory to search for things? It's bonkers.

    Google should value this only the same as any other directory, i.e. possibly helpful but shouldn't put a massive amount of weight on the link. You can get links in good directories for £35 if you really want to go down that route.

    The only time I even consider directories as a useful method of searching is when I'm looking for real life services and even then trade/niche-specific directories have wiped the floor with the big general directories.

  10. #9
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default Yahoo Directory? DMOZ?

    Just ping yahoo when you make a page or post. You can do this in yoast. 300 is not worth it. I spend money once for an advert on a gaming directory but not that much
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

  11. #10
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    I'm not exactly sure what you mean? Would you be so kind as to elaborate edgarf76?
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  12. #11
    edgarf76's Avatar
    edgarf76 is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2013
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 582 Times in 429 Posts

    Default

    There is a radio button in yoast that you can tick. Every time you make and update post and page it notifies yahoo and ask. You will get indexed much quicker.


    I think the directory I am in is like dmoz but not gaming. Covers, btb, and other sites are in there. It cost less than 100 and gets direct traffic.
    Visit Play Slots 4 Real Money and Casino Slots Money for trusted recommendations and tips on the best casinos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •