View Poll Results: Do you use heatmaps?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use heatmaps frequently.

    2 13.33%
  • Yes, I use heatmaps occassionally.

    2 13.33%
  • Yes, I've used heatmaps, but not very often.

    1 6.67%
  • No, I've never used heatmaps, but think I should.

    6 40.00%
  • No, I've never used heatmaps, and have no interest in doing so.

    3 20.00%
  • Other (please share in a post).

    1 6.67%
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    MichaelCorfman's Avatar
    MichaelCorfman is offline GPWA Executive Director
    Join Date
    June 2004
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,702
    Thanks
    1,089
    Thanked 6,365 Times in 2,041 Posts

    Question Do you use heatmaps?

    A couple weeks ago I received an email from Bing Webmaster Tools announcing the launch of Microsoft Clarity, a free tool for webmasters showing how folks use your site. The email stated clarity provides three key features:

    • Session recordings: Replay user interactions to find out where people are getting stuck.
    • Heatmaps: Deep insights at a glance. Visualize what parts of your site get the most clicks.
    • An Insights dashboard: ML derived insights like “rage clicks”, “dead clicks”, and “excessive scrolling” to help you zero in on interesting user sessions

    I particularly noticed the mention of heatmaps since I've never personally used them, but have thought I should. I know there are a wide variety of products that offer website heatmaps. Typically they visualize the most popular (hot) and unpopular (cold) elements of a webpage using colors on a scale from red to blue. By aggregating user behavior, heatmaps facilitate data analysis and give an at-a-glance understanding of how people interact with an individual website page—what they click on, scroll through, or ignore—which helps identify trends and optimize for further engagement.

    So, for this weeks poll I thought I would ask if you have ever used a heatmap tool. If you have, please share your thoughts with us. And, if you have never used one, how interested are you in adding heatmaps as a tool you make use of in the future.

    Michael
    GPWA Executive Director, Casino City CEO, Friend to the Village Idiot
    Resources for Affiliates: iGamingDirectory.com, iGamingAffiliatePrograms.com, GamingMeets.com

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MichaelCorfman For This Useful Post:

    PaulEchere (17 February 2021), universal4 (17 February 2021)

  3. #2
    PaulEchere's Avatar
    PaulEchere is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2020
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 230 Times in 179 Posts

    Default

    I do use heatmaps and found them quite helpful. I used to have some page elements and brand review page sections, which I thought were cool but in reality they were just annoying users.
    Heatmaps and recordings also help me find different things which users don't interact with the way I planned.
    Indirectly they also helped me workout how to better get people to share their email addresses.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulEchere For This Useful Post:

    chaumi (18 February 2021), universal4 (17 February 2021)

  5. #3
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Too busy pumping out content to worry about optimizing the nitty gritty ****.

    But who knows, maybe that is backasswards thinking.

  6. #4
    MJM
    MJM is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2010
    Posts
    961
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked 550 Times in 318 Posts

    Default

    Microsoft Clarity is really eye opening stuff - gives true insight into how your visitors interact with your pages. Although, I'm mostly with PROFRB on this one - only have so much time in a day as a small operation.

  7. #5
    Cash Bonus's Avatar
    Cash Bonus is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,450
    Thanks
    9,149
    Thanked 3,004 Times in 2,216 Posts

    Default

    I'm not currently using heatmaps and I've been fairly occupied doing social media advertising work instead. But I'm hoping to do that this year as they have multiple advantages to them. They do look quite interesting for sure.
    Last edited by Cash Bonus; 18 February 2021 at 2:01 am.

  8. #6
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,640
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 840 Times in 617 Posts

    Default

    Clearly useful and it would be fairly surprising to hear that any site with major traffic doesn't use them for occasional analysis at least.

    Not so obviously useful for anyone with lower traffic levels - given the balance of where you need to be spending the limited/little time you have in building content (alongside all the other stuff that needs to be handled)....but even there it's possible/likely that heatmap analysis will show you where to improve (or test improvements) on a page...which then eventually leads to increased user satisfaction....which theoretically (and likely) leads to improved rankings.

  9. #7
    Tex Holdem Questions is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2020
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 25 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    I used them before and whilst it's a fascinating subject of visitor interaction, it slowed down the site. Ultimately, the value of seeing the heatmaps isn't worth the sacrificing of website speed.

    I should add that I was using Hotjar, not Clarity.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tex Holdem Questions For This Useful Post:

    chaumi (19 February 2021), TheGooner (27 February 2021)

  11. #8
    johan_s is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2020
    Posts
    254
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 69 Times in 58 Posts

    Default

    Agree with Tex Holdem. I am worried it would slow down the website. Maybe run it for a couple of days and then remove it just to get a feeling of what can be improved on the site.
    Clarity looks promising!

  12. #9
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    I've used them before, even went as far as video recording of the user session. From what I understand of the new GDPR rules, you'd have to ask for consent before doing that but that's a different subject.

    I honestly had different expectations and was quite disappointed with the results. Sure I did see where most people held the mouse or where their attention was, which was only good for identifying button/banner spots.

    The rest wasn't really helpful. The videos of the user sessions I observed were odd. It did not resemble knowledgeable humans using the internet, but more like apes holding a mouse for a first time. I don't know it was bots or anything else, but for a whole month, I kept watching sporadic mouse movements, ADD scrolling up and down, nervous clickings 125 hits a second, clueless guessing on what exactly is a button and which one is clickable and so on.

    Poor loading speeds are not worth it and the prices these services charge were quite high. Don't know what's it like in 2021

  13. #10
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,640
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 840 Times in 617 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xecutable View Post
    The rest wasn't really helpful. The videos of the user sessions I observed were odd. It did not resemble knowledgeable humans using the internet, but more like apes holding a mouse for a first time. I don't know it was bots or anything else, but for a whole month, I kept watching sporadic mouse movements, ADD scrolling up and down, nervous clickings 125 hits a second, clueless guessing on what exactly is a button and which one is clickable and so on.
    Actually this is useful in itself. It indicates that (while we as builders know what we're doing on a page - because we've created it and looked at thousands of them before) the average 'normal' user may not have a clue. Would seem to be a very good illustration of why it's good to hit them right between the eyes with something valuable related to their query. The jumping around the page (assuming real users) would seem to indicate confusion/misunderstanding, while at the same time a desire to find what they want on the page somewhere (and a belief that they would actually get it, possibly from a title/description/first impression of the page quality)

  14. #11
    Pokerface's Avatar
    Pokerface is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2016
    Posts
    3,161
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    688
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 746 Posts

    Default

    I have not personally used heatmaps but from what I have read they are something that should be taken advantage of. Will help in understanding and improve interactions.
    nousviz.com

    What's Nous?

    StatsDrone now offers Freemium plan to connect up to 30 programs - FREE!.

  15. #12
    bettingmalta's Avatar
    bettingmalta is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2015
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    heatmaps are the only way to understand your users behavior - often you will be surprised how the flow of the traffic in your website moves differently from what you were thinking and planning.

    it provides you great insights, specially the "click counter" - to mention one

  16. #13
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,920
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cash Bonus View Post
    But I'm hoping to do that this year
    Maybe making your site SSL, mobile compatible, and update your coding 1'st, might be a better goal... just sayin.

  17. #14
    TheGooner's Avatar
    TheGooner is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,565
    Thanks
    2,092
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,177 Posts

    Default

    Mouse clicks? Scrolling?
    75% of our traffic is mobile - and the touch points are simply where it's convenient to scroll.

    Heatmaps and structuring screens are very 2010 concepts.
    In these days of mobile rendering and vastly varied viewports I had expected this to be long dead - but consultants will flog a horse long past it's use-by date I guess.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooner For This Useful Post:

    Former Member 14 (27 February 2021), Tex Holdem Questions (28 February 2021)

  19. #15
    Join Date
    November 2005
    Posts
    4,507
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,920
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooner View Post
    Heatmaps and structuring screens are very 2010 concepts.
    In these days of mobile rendering and vastly varied viewports I had expected this to be long dead - but consultants will flog a horse long past it's use-by date I guess.
    yeppers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •