Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    mooncereal is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    February 2025
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default How'd you get started?

    Just curious, how did everyone get started in this niche? Background in SEO? Interest in gambling?

    For myself, I work in tech but before this I worked in digital marketing for years. Did some websites on the side and was able to rank them decently.

    I also run some private poker games on the side but i'm new to gambling marketing/SEO. My first goal is to make $100, and I won't stop until that happens. At that point I'll keep it going!

  2. #2
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,987
    Thanks
    4,540
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    Welcome and I hope you do not have a huge struggle to make the first $100.

    Most here can tell you though, it will be a great feeling to see the first payment come in and hopefully you will be able to say that it was the first of many.

    Will be interesting to hear some of the stories as to how some folks got started in the industry. (I still get stuck trying to remember if I was here before or after dirt)

    Rick
    Universal4

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (3 April 2025), mooncereal (31 March 2025)

  4. #3
    PaulEchere's Avatar
    PaulEchere is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2020
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 230 Times in 179 Posts

    Default

    I personally work in sportstech and igaming (by proxy). A friend (who worked at a casino operator) once told me about affiliates and how they bring in players, so I became curious enough to give it a go myself.

    Do you already have a website set up or some ideas / plans on what, how and where to target?

  5. #4
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    3,411
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,255 Posts

    Default

    I was doing weight loss affiliates and happened to be living in Costa rica almost 20 years ago when we were at the boom.


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to wonderpunter For This Useful Post:

    mooncereal (31 March 2025)

  7. #5
    allfreechips's Avatar
    allfreechips is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2010
    Location
    Ohio - The taxing state
    Posts
    1,632
    Thanks
    221
    Thanked 831 Times in 525 Posts

    Default

    Got a free hosting account when 1and1 first opened in 2004, then i needed to make a webpage about something so io picked free casinos i was enjoying at the time.
    AFC MEDIA LLC COMPLETE GAMING AFFILIATE SOLUTION
    Statsfetch.com
    secure / powerful inexpensive stats fetch system - Free for 20 provers always
    Allmediamatter
    Interface for casino owners/managers to add their affiliates and brands to feed ezcasinoaff
    Allfreechips -
    My 24 year old SEO casino site

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to allfreechips For This Useful Post:

    mooncereal (31 March 2025)

  9. #6
    nwalker's Avatar
    nwalker is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 456 Times in 270 Posts

    Default

    When I started playing live dealer games online, i started documenting everything i found out, stuck it on a website and just kept creating content that i thought other prople in the same position as me would be interested in. That was 11 yrs ago and i'm still going.
    Sold www.livecasinocomparer.com in April 2025 - Now retired

  10. #7
    mooncereal is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    February 2025
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Thanks, Rick! I'm not giving up until I get there.

    So I went live with my site (South Africa market) but I realized after speaking to affiliate managers and here on GPWA that the player value is pretty low. I am working on a new market now, but debating if I should continue to invest in the SA site or not. I don't think I can pull off huge volume without spending some $$$ and I'm just not sure if it's worth it to me yet.

  11. #8
    mooncereal is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    February 2025
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Awesome!

  12. #9
    mooncereal is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    February 2025
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    That's super cool man! Just checked out the site it looks awesome.

  13. #10
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    From a random comment with an affiliate link on a forex forum. Was most likely spam but I had no idea an affiliate link is back then either. After searching for the brand, this forum came up. Took me nearly 2 years to lurk around here and make my first 200$, another one to become a full-time affiliate, and this was back in 2009.

    I've been enjoying sites since '99 so even if I didn't make any money, I'd be doing something in this space.

    Overall now it's the time to absorb as much information as possible and experiment. Given most of us started some 15-20y ago, the path back then is different than now and what worked for each affiliate in most cases is very individual.

    Learn from affiliates not managers. There's like 5 that have 20 year experience and know what they are talking about. The rest were trained to rank check on Alexa (lol) and have had a 2 day training written by chatgpt. From that point on, it's "what traffic do you have?" "I need traffic from X Y Z" and that's about as "personal" as it gets.

    Find programs that you can build a relationship with, and are trustworthy. It sucks to throw years of effort just to get your account closed or your commission reduced cause of a shady program. Remember that 60% of 0 is still a 0, find converters not big % promises. And yeah if this is the thing for you, you'll eventually catch a break.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xecutable For This Useful Post:

    mooncereal (2 April 2025), Theratman (2 April 2025)

  15. #11
    golfbettingsystem's Avatar
    golfbettingsystem is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,001
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 437 Times in 306 Posts

    Default

    Enjoyed gambling in its various forms from way back, I used to try accumulators and perm bets on the old weekend football coupon in the local Ladbrokes as a student in the 90s with 10p per line stakes.
    Learnt enough in various corporate marketing roles to give this game a go and although it’s been up and down in the past 16 years or so I wouldn’t have it any other way now. In fact I fear I wouldn’t last a day in a corporate job now!

  16. #12
    eenzoo's Avatar
    eenzoo is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    Bella Italia
    Posts
    1,897
    Thanks
    614
    Thanked 1,241 Times in 768 Posts

    Default

    20 yrs back a "wank or bank" link in the footer a po*** subscription site took my attention.

  17. #13
    Juan Roman's Avatar
    Juan Roman is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 263 Times in 184 Posts

    Default

    My first job after university was at a local sports betting affiliate company back in 2008. After the owners were arrested for doing affiliate marketing two years later (they were eventually cleared of all charges after spending 10 months in jail), I started looking for iGaming content writing jobs via forums, found a few, and eventually got offered a full-time position by a big casino (and betting) affiliate.

    As I didn't want the other gigs to go to waste, I found some more people to help out and that eventually led to starting my own content writing company. After balancing both for a few years, I decided to leave said affiliate, focus on my company and started building my own affiliate sites. It's been an amazing journey and the GPWA forum and valuable member comments have helped me so much in the process.

  18. #14
    PaulEchere's Avatar
    PaulEchere is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2020
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 230 Times in 179 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooncereal View Post
    Thanks, Rick! I'm not giving up until I get there.

    So I went live with my site (South Africa market) but I realized after speaking to affiliate managers and here on GPWA that the player value is pretty low. I am working on a new market now, but debating if I should continue to invest in the SA site or not. I don't think I can pull off huge volume without spending some $$$ and I'm just not sure if it's worth it to me yet.
    Yes, the player value is pretty low, however, whether to continue or not might depend on a few things:
    - Do you already have traffic? Or do you see it growing?
    - Have you spent any time on building a backlink profile?

    If both are yes, then I'd say - by all means continue and create a second one.
    If both are yes, then you can easily use the first website to sell backlinks which in some cases can be pretty ok pocket money and you can also use it for non-reciprocal link exchanges.

    If it's brand new website with no traffic and backlink, might be a good idea to pivot completely, unless you have a good plan of now to grow BLs and traffic without investing lots of $$ and time.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulEchere For This Useful Post:

    mooncereal (2 April 2025)

  20. #15
    iso2009 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    December 2010
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 129 Times in 100 Posts

    Default

    I started with a football highlights site back in 2007 or 2008. Never went into casino, cloaking ads or anything like it and I kind of regret it now.
    The landscape is so different now (tons of regulations), I think I was so lucky so start when the Internet was free and wild.

  21. #16
    mooncereal is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    February 2025
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    That makes a lot of sense. I am going to see about getting backlinks from operators and forums etc... and see if I can get some motion without having to spend a lot on backlinks. For now, my budget is something like $1500/month so I don't know about investing nearly 20k/year on a site with fairly low upside potential. thank you for the advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulEchere View Post
    Yes, the player value is pretty low, however, whether to continue or not might depend on a few things:
    - Do you already have traffic? Or do you see it growing?
    - Have you spent any time on building a backlink profile?

    If both are yes, then I'd say - by all means continue and create a second one.
    If both are yes, then you can easily use the first website to sell backlinks which in some cases can be pretty ok pocket money and you can also use it for non-reciprocal link exchanges.

    If it's brand new website with no traffic and backlink, might be a good idea to pivot completely, unless you have a good plan of now to grow BLs and traffic without investing lots of $$ and time.

  22. #17
    PaulEchere's Avatar
    PaulEchere is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2020
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 230 Times in 179 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooncereal View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. I am going to see about getting backlinks from operators and forums etc... and see if I can get some motion without having to spend a lot on backlinks. For now, my budget is something like $1500/month so I don't know about investing nearly 20k/year on a site with fairly low upside potential. thank you for the advice.
    In terms of your budget. IMO $1500 / month is an overkill for sure, if we're only talking about backlinks. Of course, if you're are looking to outsource the entire thing completely, that's different.

  23. #18
    mooncereal is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    February 2025
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulEchere View Post
    In terms of your budget. IMO $1500 / month is an overkill for sure, if we're only talking about backlinks. Of course, if you're are looking to outsource the entire thing completely, that's different.
    You think $1500/month is overkill for backlinks? What's your thoughts about a good budget for a new site? I'm genuinely curious. Maybe I can move things around and do content & backlinks for the same budget...

  24. #19
    mooncereal is offline Brand New Member
    Join Date
    February 2025
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Roman View Post
    My first job after university was at a local sports betting affiliate company back in 2008. After the owners were arrested for doing affiliate marketing two years later (they were eventually cleared of all charges after spending 10 months in jail), I started looking for iGaming content writing jobs via forums, found a few, and eventually got offered a full-time position by a big casino (and betting) affiliate.

    As I didn't want the other gigs to go to waste, I found some more people to help out and that eventually led to starting my own content writing company. After balancing both for a few years, I decided to leave said affiliate, focus on my company and started building my own affiliate sites. It's been an amazing journey and the GPWA forum and valuable member comments have helped me so much in the process.
    What's the story of their arrests??

  25. #20
    PaulEchere's Avatar
    PaulEchere is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2020
    Posts
    731
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 230 Times in 179 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooncereal View Post
    You think $1500/month is overkill for backlinks? What's your thoughts about a good budget for a new site? I'm genuinely curious. Maybe I can move things around and do content & backlinks for the same budget...
    Yep, I do think that $1500 / month is an overkill for backlinks, especially for a new site.
    With new sites (especially in saturated and very competitive niches like igaming), I'd probably want to be reactive rather than proactive - meaning pushing up KWs where you are already seeing a positive trend upwards.

    I'd say, once you build a solid foundation of content ("solid" may vary depending on your intent and plans), let it sit for a month or so and see what G thinks of it. You will definitely start seeing some pages outperform others - you can double down on those as there you are likely to get best returns on your BL investment.

    Talking about exact amounts, if we're talking about a one-man operation and a singe website, $600 - $800 per month is more than enough to build out a solid backlink profile.
    The main reason being (in my opinion) is you buy links that "work" and you probably want to make sure that what you are doing "works" before continuing.

    So the ideal scenario might look like this:
    - You have content on your website and you see which pages / KWs get more impressions / clicks than others
    - You identify which of those pages are likely to bring you $$ (where you can get FTDs or which might drive people to reach out to you to buy BLs from you)
    - Once you know the KWs and pages - you do competitor and backlink strategy research where you identify places where you might want to get BLs from. These should be somewhat (or completely) niche and GEO relevant.
    - You identify a topic for a guest post publication. The goal here is to create a post which will get clicks. If you publish a guest post with a backlink to your website (on a different website) and that page never gets any organic traffic - there's very little use from such BLs. So you'd want to craft a post that is relevant to your target KW and that covers a subject / KWs that people are searching for and that will likely get clicks (a good number of impressions at the very least).
    - Then you let that sit and you try to analyze the impact. This is the tricky part because it is very easy to confuse correlation with causation. But really, anything about G, its algos and methods of working with them is, in essence, tribal knowledge.

    That's one possible formula for a good backlinks. If you have that as the objective - you won't really need to spend more than $600 - $800 per month on BLs unless your website gets really big.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulEchere For This Useful Post:

    mooncereal (4 April 2025)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •