
Originally Posted by
Callout
Did some research on Telegram groups as a traffic source and ended up looking at 283 of them, pulled from public ranking sites sorted by message volume and monthly active users.
Rough breakdown of what I found by actually reading recent messages in each:
~20% real communities with people talking to each other
~20% real groups, but drowned in ad spam
~60% effectively criminal ad boards
That last bucket was worse than I expected. Not "low quality" - I mean groups openly running ads for counterfeit currency, stolen card cashouts, and money laundering services quoting exchange rates. Several of these were named things like "Bitcoin <Country>" and looked completely normal from the outside.
The part worth flagging for anyone here: the ranking sites sort by message volume and active users. Spam bots posting every minute score extremely well on both. So the ranking is actively selecting FOR the groups you don't want.
If you're evaluating Telegram groups, member count and activity metrics tell you nothing. You have to open them and read.