Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    casionmark is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    November 2016
    Posts
    473
    Thanks
    353
    Thanked 128 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Large amounts of BOT traffic

    Hi -

    Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do when you start seeing large amounts of bot traffic on your site. I have a relatively new site that doesn't yet get much traffic. Yet I'm seeing 20 or 30 clicks per day on outgoing links on the site. It doesn't tally with visitor numbers in analytics. I'm assuming this is bots (google or others). Is there something that can be done about this? should I be concerned?

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. #2
    Juicer's Avatar
    Juicer is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2020
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 24 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casionmark View Post
    Hi -

    Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do when you start seeing large amounts of bot traffic on your site. I have a relatively new site that doesn't yet get much traffic. Yet I'm seeing 20 or 30 clicks per day on outgoing links on the site. It doesn't tally with visitor numbers in analytics. I'm assuming this is bots (google or others). Is there something that can be done about this? should I be concerned?

    Thanks,
    Mark
    If you're using WP maybe try getting a "block bad robots" plugin and see if that helps.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juicer For This Useful Post:

    casionmark (31 January 2020), Pick7 (30 September 2020)

  4. #3
    nfint12 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2018
    Location
    Mountain View
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 71 Times in 50 Posts

    Default

    Unless it's affecting performance of your site I wouldn't worry about it, I use wordfence (free) which is handy enough for monitoring login attempts which could be useful for peace of mind.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfint12 For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (30 January 2020), casionmark (30 January 2020), Nenad (30 January 2020)

  6. #4
    Nenad is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2019
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 155 Times in 128 Posts

    Default

    I wouldn't be bothered if it does not affect your website in any bad way. You are using WordPress?

  7. #5
    casinoportal's Avatar
    casinoportal is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,172
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 159 Times in 103 Posts

    Default

    I also had this problem, I was getting hundreds of fake clicks a day from dozens of different bots. If you are using WP then look for a plugin called Blackhole for Bad Bots, it is really easy to setup and it solved the problem for me within a few days.
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up"

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to casinoportal For This Useful Post:

    casionmark (31 January 2020)

  9. #6
    golfbettingsystem's Avatar
    golfbettingsystem is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    March 2014
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    1,002
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 437 Times in 306 Posts

    Default

    They seem to come all at once for us, massive spike in direct traffic accompanied by a mass of clicks to all programs that are clearly meaningless. Just ignore them myself.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to golfbettingsystem For This Useful Post:

    casionmark (31 January 2020)

  11. #7
    universal4's Avatar
    universal4 is offline Forum Administrator
    Join Date
    July 2003
    Location
    Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
    Posts
    33,996
    Thanks
    4,544
    Thanked 9,297 Times in 5,981 Posts

    Default

    If you are already using a plugin like wordfence, wpcerber or such, consider blocking in that instead of adding yet ANOTHER plugin.

    Rick
    Universal4

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to universal4 For This Useful Post:

    Cash Bonus (30 January 2020), casionmark (31 January 2020)

  13. #8
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casionmark View Post
    Hi -

    Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do when you start seeing large amounts of bot traffic on your site. I have a relatively new site that doesn't yet get much traffic. Yet I'm seeing 20 or 30 clicks per day on outgoing links on the site. It doesn't tally with visitor numbers in analytics. I'm assuming this is bots (google or others). Is there something that can be done about this? should I be concerned?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    I am assuming you are seeing the bot traffic in Google Analytics. Here is the best guide to keep junk traffic out of GA. https://carloseo.com/removing-google-analytics-spam/

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Benjamin For This Useful Post:

    casionmark (7 February 2020)

  15. #9
    Perffy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    if you don't use Wordpress you can block spiders using robots.txt.

    I will use your topic to ask a question to all webmasters, if you get a lot of contact form messages with spam, despite the Google Captcha ?

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Perffy For This Useful Post:

    casionmark (7 February 2020)

  17. #10
    Frank Benjamin is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 46 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perffy View Post
    if you don't use Wordpress you can block spiders using robots.txt.

    I will use your topic to ask a question to all webmasters, if you get a lot of contact form messages with spam, despite the Google Captcha ?
    The issue with using the robots file is that you can’t filter all the spam traffic that is most likely visiting the site like you can by using hostname and language filters.

    To answer you Captcha question, yes. But only if it’s a major problem.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Benjamin For This Useful Post:

    casionmark (7 February 2020)

  19. #11
    ddm
    ddm is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    418
    Thanked 470 Times in 287 Posts

  20. #12
    Madz's Avatar
    Madz is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2015
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    371
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked 229 Times in 154 Posts

    Default

    I had this issue myself about 2 months ago. The bots were targeting NDB offers. On some networks I promote they had hundreds of signups and hardly any clicks, some did also have hundreds of clicks like yours too.

    I took some costly hits on the networks I promote NDB's for, on the days the bot traffic struck I was down $800-900+. I spoke to some of the AM's and after investigating it for me they said the bots were playing the NDB's and if they won they would deposit a small amount to withdraw their winnings. I was getting hit every few days by 200-300 signups or clicks on each network that had a NDB offer. One of the brands asked me to remove them until I sorted it. Others worked with me in resolving the issue which helped.

    I had to create new affiliate links, I also mixed the offers up in my top lists and ended up migrating my domain to another one which I was planning to do anyway. All in all it worked. I also use premium Wordfence which helps with this type of traffic. I block quite a few countries by default like China, Russia, India, Iran, Nigeria... At the moment it has worked but I keep an eye out all the time now just in case, it cost me several thousand in lost commission in the 2-3 months it was going on and I was trying to sort it.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madz For This Useful Post:

    ddm (6 February 2020), Maxfalcon (10 February 2020)

  22. #13
    ddm
    ddm is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    418
    Thanked 470 Times in 287 Posts

    Default

    wow what a crazy story. thanks for the details madz. I will keep my eyes open for this stuff thanks to your insight. (just dived into casino niche, but trying to avoid anything related to "free", cos f**k that traffic)

  23. #14
    Madz's Avatar
    Madz is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    September 2015
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    371
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked 229 Times in 154 Posts

    Default

    Glad to be of help and I hope you have a great and prosperous journey with the casino niche.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Madz For This Useful Post:

    ddm (6 February 2020)

  25. #15
    ddm
    ddm is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    418
    Thanked 470 Times in 287 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madz View Post
    Glad to be of help and I hope you have a great and prosperous journey with the casino niche.
    thanks <3

  26. #16
    ddm
    ddm is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    418
    Thanked 470 Times in 287 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madz View Post
    Glad to be of help and I hope you have a great and prosperous journey with the casino niche.
    gracias amigo/a

  27. #17
    cantona07 is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    January 2020
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Dont do a thing mate thats perfectly normal at the stage youre at

  28. #18
    tallman is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    July 2016
    Posts
    415
    Thanks
    148
    Thanked 89 Times in 79 Posts

    Default

    I've noticed a spike over the last month with bot traffic from a domain like bottraffic4u dot xyz. The weird thing is it shows in my analytics as actual visitors. Someone must be trying something somewhere lol
    Discover helpful betting resources in our online betting directory | Learn about the best crash gambling games & sites at CrashGambling.net

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •