Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Amateur's Avatar
    Amateur is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2001
    Posts
    3,771
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 145 Times in 86 Posts

    Default Great little triip to Biloxi & Houston

    I just got back a few days ago from a trip to Biloxi, MS and Houston, TX. It has taken a few days to get up to speed. When I make it in here, it's to find that Allan has passed away. I am so sad about this, and have no idea how his wife and daughter are able to function at this point. Puts all things in perspective.

    A portion of my trip was to Houson, TX, where some of you may know that my niece, Michelle lives. Michelle recently had a heart pump implanted. She has a condition, cardiomyopathy, which thickens the heart muscle, and makes it hard to pump blood through her system. My sister and I wanted to go see how she is doing. I am happy to say she is able to get out and about some, but she also has daily visits from a home health nurse, to monitor her progress. She has been back to the hospital since her procedure to get her meds regulated. But all-in-all we are so thankful to have this device available to help her have some quality of life while she is on the transplant list.

    The other part of the trip was to Biloxi, where I had never been before. It's on the Gulf of Mexico, about 100 miles east of New Orleans. When I drive to New Orleans, it is a diagonal trip from me across the state of MS, so I've never been straight down the state to the Gulf, since I live at the very top of the state of MS, 10 miles from Tennessee, and 3 miles from Alabama, about 100 miles east of Memphis.

    Our hotel was right on the beach. Right where the oil spill was coming on shore, and right where Katrina hit as well. Lots of open space where houses once sat, and the houses still standing were on stilts 8-10 feet off the ground!

    It's a gambling resort, so we stayed at the Grand, down the street from 6-7 other casinos, like the Hard Rock and Beau Rivage. My sister actually wanted to attend a taping of the Antiques Roadshow, where she and a friend had tickets so they could take some items and get them appraised. She found her beloved furniture had "sentimental" value. But the trip was well worth the effort anyway. We also dodged a hurricane, Hurricane Bonnie fizzled out before hitting shore, thank goodness. Cause we'd have been right in the eye of the storm otherwise!

    Some of you may remember that I am not a good traveler, 'cause I get car-sick, seasick, air-sick, etc. So I'll be missing out on a cruise on the Med in Oct., 'cause I'd have to fly to Greece, and then be on a boat for 10 days, which is so not going to happen..lol

    So, I've decided to go to Vegas in Oct. instead. Only 4 hrs nonstop, so I can be unconscious for that long, just barely! Staying at MGM Grand.

    Anybody interested in joining me? I'll be there for 4 days, since that's about as long as I can handle in that town. Longer than that is too long.
    Amateur
    "Lifting as we climb" - NACWC
    "...the universe has no edge and no center..."
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning" - Jennifer Crusie
    "Common Sense is not so common." - Voltaire
    TheAPage.com

  2. #2
    bets@betsfreebets.co's Avatar
    bets@betsfreebets.co is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    June 2007
    Location
    Bogota
    Posts
    179
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 14 Posts

    Default

    u play some southern holdem?

  3. #3
    Amateur's Avatar
    Amateur is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2001
    Posts
    3,771
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 145 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bets@betsfreebets.co View Post
    u play some southern holdem?
    Not on this trip, but I usually play on my trips to Tunica, which is 2 hrs drive from my house.

    I really fell in love with Biloxi! The atmosphere suits me, low key and some great restaurants as well. Not to mention it never, ever snows there.

    I'll be goig back to explore in the not too distant future, for sure.
    Amateur
    "Lifting as we climb" - NACWC
    "...the universe has no edge and no center..."
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning" - Jennifer Crusie
    "Common Sense is not so common." - Voltaire
    TheAPage.com

  4. #4
    Anthony's Avatar
    Anthony is offline GPWA/APCW Program Director
    Join Date
    June 2003
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    7,294
    Blog Entries
    67
    Thanks
    2,201
    Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,901 Posts

    Default

    Good to hear your niece is hanging in there.

    Glad the trip went well. Hope you enjoyed our hot Houston weather.
    I am here to help if you have any issues with an affiliate program.
    Become involved in GPWA to truly make the association your own:
    Apply for Private Membership | Apply for the GPWA Seal | Partner with a GPWA Sponsor | Volunteer as a Moderator


  5. #5
    Amateur's Avatar
    Amateur is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    December 2001
    Posts
    3,771
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 145 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Good to hear your niece is hanging in there.

    Glad the trip went well. Hope you enjoyed our hot Houston weather.
    Are you in Houston, Anthony? Actually, it rained every day! But that didn't stop us. My niece was a clothing design major in college, and a "power shopper", just like my mother. I don't have that gene, but it was nice to watch her do her thing... I see how it floods there so much, and hurricane season hasn't officially started!
    Amateur
    "Lifting as we climb" - NACWC
    "...the universe has no edge and no center..."
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning" - Jennifer Crusie
    "Common Sense is not so common." - Voltaire
    TheAPage.com

  6. #6
    Anthony's Avatar
    Anthony is offline GPWA/APCW Program Director
    Join Date
    June 2003
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    7,294
    Blog Entries
    67
    Thanks
    2,201
    Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,901 Posts

    Default

    Yes I'm in Houston.


    It been hovering around 100 degrees the past few days. Now that it's nice and hot it became the perfect time for my A/C to go out.

    Always something exciting going on here.
    I am here to help if you have any issues with an affiliate program.
    Become involved in GPWA to truly make the association your own:
    Apply for Private Membership | Apply for the GPWA Seal | Partner with a GPWA Sponsor | Volunteer as a Moderator


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •