Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default Please Review Our Online Poker Website

    Hello GPWA,

    We were hoping some of the more experienced members here might be so kind as to review our online poker related website, www.professionalrakeback.com

    We have a lot of custom content that no one else has for online poker, but I am concerned about site design only being geared towards online poker players who have some understanding of the poker world. You see, the site caters to VIP type poker players, giving them advocacy, business advice (via Skype) and informational services as pertains to online poker. However, we have been working on ranking the site higher to help our clients with more recreational traffic, and as such, I'm certain we need to make ea variety of changes... however, I don't wish to influence the results of the answers, so, would you be so kind as to review our site for us?

  2. #2
    chaumi is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    1,640
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 840 Times in 617 Posts

    Default

    Tough one this, isn't it. You want to appeal to two entirely different groups of players.

    And it depends on what you mean by recreational to some extent as well. Do you mean typical 'I've been playing for a few months and I pretty much know what's going on' players, or 'I haven't got a clue what poker is apart from how to spell it' players...(I know there is an in between as well)

    So my perception as a non poker player......I think I would hit the home page and not have a clue what you were offering me (which is what you already know of course).

    But I'm not convinced even those experienced players you were focusing on would really know what you were offering. To me, the header makes it look like you're marketing poker rooms. The wording is (to a non experienced poker player) too obscure, and to an experienced player doesn't nail it. They'd have to click on the 'read more' under the introduction...and that takes you to a page where you really start telling them what you offer.

    I'd say that 'read more' page needs to go above the home page fold as some easy to read bullet points. Short and to the point, then pull them into the read more to get better detail.

    Suggest put all that stuff below the fold on a poker offers page and let them choose to go to it (can be one of the bullet points)

    If you want that home page to appeal to both experienced and non experienced players then break those bullet points down into two clear sections...though I'd be worried that might dilute the potential for the experienced players. A kind of snobbery, if you like.

    Also I'm not sure you want those offers on the home page as you scroll down. Any visitor that hasn't 'got' what you're about above the fold may scroll and think you're 'just' another poker affiliate site, whereas in fact you're offering a lot more value. They may not realise that, which just serves to increase the need to explain clearly on first impression exactly what you are offering.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to chaumi For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (7 July 2014)

  4. #3
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    Decreasing the site's loading time might help the site to rank better in the search engines. According to webpagetest .org the site is a little slow to load.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetbet For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (23 October 2014)

  6. #4
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbet View Post
    Decreasing the site's loading time might help the site to rank better in the search engines. According to webpagetest .org the site is a little slow to load.
    I think you're right here. We could likely size our images a bit better and make some other tweaks. Do you have any suggestions for safe+fast place to host a gaming site mainly targeting US players via offshore sites?

  7. #5
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    It might be an idea to make a list of some of the top gambling portal sites and then use whoishostingthis .com to see where they are hosted.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetbet For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (8 July 2014)

  9. #6
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Tough one this, isn't it. You want to appeal to two entirely different groups of players.
    Yes, ultimately we'll have other sites for the recreational focus, however, this site already ranks well for a number of terms and needs to be better utilized to bring in randoms.


    And it depends on what you mean by recreational to some extent as well. Do you mean typical 'I've been playing for a few months and I pretty much know what's going on' players, or 'I haven't got a clue what poker is apart from how to spell it' players...(I know there is an in between as well)
    Yea, in this case, I mean recreational = someone who has played poker online before, but isn't up to speed, and isn't pro/semi-pr, but isn't necessarily a winning player either. For example, we get a lot of guys to the website who haven't played since Black Friday and have the urge to come back, but don't want to get hosed by a Ponzi Scheme like Lock Poker. They come to us because of the exclusive content we produce, and we inform them of their choices and give them what we think is the best solution. Many of them have already done some cursory research though before finding us.

    Complete poker newbs are something we'll target with another (dozen) websites.

    So my perception as a non poker player......I think I would hit the home page and not have a clue what you were offering me (which is what you already know of course).
    Yea, people out of the loop don't understand the menu bar I think. That needs to be reworked. I suppose we need to do some serious keyword research in order to title them appropriately/lower our bounce %.

    But I'm not convinced even those experienced players you were focusing on would really know what you were offering. To me, the header makes it look like you're marketing poker rooms. The wording is (to a non experienced poker player) too obscure, and to an experienced player doesn't nail it. They'd have to click on the 'read more' under the introduction...and that takes you to a page where you really start telling them what you offer.

    I'd say that 'read more' page needs to go above the home page fold as some easy to read bullet points. Short and to the point, then pull them into the read more to get better detail.
    I agree with you here. That sticky post is sort of a hackjob. The Drupal template we're stuck on makes the type of organization you describe
    (and we want) impossible. Unfortunately, I know of no easy remedy... probably have to change templates and redesign the whole thing


    Suggest put all that stuff below the fold on a poker offers page and let them choose to go to it (can be one of the bullet points)

    If you want that home page to appeal to both experienced and non experienced players then break those bullet points down into two clear sections...though I'd be worried that might dilute the potential for the experienced players. A kind of snobbery, if you like.
    No, you're right, it would definitely dilute things for the pro players. As a pro player, I would notice that instantly and be turned off too some degree.

    Also I'm not sure you want those offers on the home page as you scroll down. Any visitor that hasn't 'got' what you're about above the fold may scroll and think you're 'just' another poker affiliate site, whereas in fact you're offering a lot more value. They may not realise that, which just serves to increase the need to explain clearly on first impression exactly what you are offering.
    Well, because of the menu confusion, that's why we have those offers on the front page. To make it easy for people to see some of what we have out there on offer. We do have the little descriptions in the images to highlight strengths of each room.




    Thank you for all of that advice

  10. #7
    wettFORM.AT's Avatar
    wettFORM.AT is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2013
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 62 Times in 53 Posts

    Default

    site looks good and clean but maybe a bit too clean. I think you could improve the header and maybe put something into the background not an image but maybe someting that makes it softer especially at the bottom.
    WETTFORMAT
    https://wettformat.com
    Wett Tipps, Wettanbieter, Wettbonus

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to wettFORM.AT For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (23 October 2014)

  12. #8
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    I'm afraid that more images would slow the load time down even more. That's something we need to improve upon according to every analytics test we run Any ideas?
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  13. #9
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Changed up the site a bit. Thoughts?

  14. #10
    MMM
    MMM is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    October 2014
    Posts
    1,767
    Thanks
    465
    Thanked 719 Times in 502 Posts

    Default

    Hi

    I like very much the top and the left parts of the site. The center-bottom i find a bit confusing.

    I probably missed and someone wrote it before, but i would add more content to the home page - there are places where it seems a bit empty. I wouldn't place full text there, but just highlights for each room: first, to catch the eye of your visitors and second to increase the % of players that will actually like the poker site review they clicked to and will continue further instead of coming back to the homepage looking for something else.

    in terms of design: maybe you can make the images on the home page more similar in terms of size and format - i think it will look more clean.

    The register part didn't work for me- got Accessed denied message.

    Good Luck!

  15. #11
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    Hi

    I like very much the top and the left parts of the site. The center-bottom i find a bit confusing.

    I probably missed and someone wrote it before, but i would add more content to the home page - there are places where it seems a bit empty. I wouldn't place full text there, but just highlights for each room: first, to catch the eye of your visitors and second to increase the % of players that will actually like the poker site review they clicked to and will continue further instead of coming back to the homepage looking for something else.

    in terms of design: maybe you can make the images on the home page more similar in terms of size and format - i think it will look more clean.

    The register part didn't work for me- got Accessed denied message.

    Good Luck!
    Thanks for that review. I'm not sure how to add more content to the homepage exactly given the current layout with blog like updates and a left sidebar. I'd have to add content below the "blogish news updates" or on the left sidebar. Rearranging things isn't something I can easily do with this template.

    The images are being changed up, and I agree with you. I think we're going to stick to 2 verical pixel sizes from now on whenever possible and mostly left center them with the text for a cleaner look.

    The register part isn't for clients, only for admin login and I don't know how to remove it on this Drupal 7 install. Ideally I'd like to put the login for admins on its own special page... clients try to register and it confuses them... I'm sure it costs us business from time to time
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  16. #12
    TomPregon's Avatar
    TomPregon is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    I like the left menu, and header, the mid part section still is a bit 'messy' in my honest opinion. If I was you I would make a 'uniform' size for all images so that they will blend in nicely in to your home page. With that, I would also have an uniform size excerpt of the post you're linking to. This will probably give it a bit more of a professional look. Having said that, since you already rank nicely for many poker keywords, I would be careful to 'redesign' too much. Never change a winning team they say. Best of luck with your site.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to TomPregon For This Useful Post:

    PROFRBcom (7 November 2014)

  18. #13
    ricardouklon is offline New Member
    Join Date
    November 2014
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Out of curiosity, are there any money in the poker affiliates? I though all is dead..

  19. #14
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricardouklon View Post
    Out of curiosity, are there any money in the poker affiliates? I though all is dead..
    I don't have any casino, sportsbook, or other gambling sites to compare it to so any response I make would be lacking in relativity.
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

  20. #15
    sampendleton's Avatar
    sampendleton is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    July 2014
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    I like it, overall, it is simple and easy to navigate.
    Just a suggestion, on your site's future update -- add some colors
    Enticing and inviting enough to attract users.

  21. #16
    PROFRBcom's Avatar
    PROFRBcom is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    April 2013
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    1,511
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 808 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    I probably missed and someone wrote it before, but i would add more content to the home page
    Added a left side bar with some text and keywords. Thoughts?

    Also, I'm wondering if I should take the bold off of the anchor text on the direct affiliate links on the left sidebars. Too much bold = too many KY in Google's eyes = bad for SEO?
    https://professionalrakeback.com

    We write excellent long-form content for other webmasters, for free.
    How can we work together on a win/win deal? Be creative!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •