Late last night wordpress released the awaited update to 5.9.
Would love to have more feedback on whether anyone experiences any issues with this update.
And before anyone thinks they must rush out and perform the update, as far as I can tell this is not a security update in any way, and I have seen a few early reports it is breaking websites.
Oddly enough, I ran a number of site updates yesterday and glad I did as I got them all in under the wire before this update was released last night.
This site has a decent breakdown of the 3 basic forms of themes and might help you decide whether to do the update now or wait a little while.
https://www.pootlepress.com/2022/01/...-your-website/
Here are a few early reports of possible problems
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/...e-breaks-site/
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/...-lazy-loading/
So far I have only done one site to the new version, but it is a site that is currently being built by a client and not live yet.
So far any reports I have read have to do with disabling the gutenberg editor. One comment I found may somewhat point to why you might want to wait is
Although some people do not agree with this method, I personally remove the needed permissions to the root folder that wordpress needs to update the core files. This insures that auto update will fail.The new widget blocks functionality totally trashed my clients woocommerce store. Activating itself with the update. Lots of the legacy widgets throwing errors. None of them displaying. Fatal error on the front end.
And yes, updates are available on the plugins and other folders by allowing such permission on the wp-content folder and down.
This method allows me to monitor the backlash of such updates that are pushed out, and whether site breakage is widespread or not.
Would like to hear thoughts from others about this recent update. My guess is this will not affect anyone vastly that uses the block editors, but might affect those with older themes.
Rick
Universal4


LinkBack URL
About LinkBacks
Reply With Quote


