Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Ace Fun's Avatar
    Ace Fun is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts

    Default I thought Google was supposed to be improving its algo.

    It seems to be becoming almost useless. I picked up the deleted name SpreadBetTips.com this morning, and I searched Google for "spread bet tips". Ignoring the paid advertising, the first two results were rubbish sites on sites.Google.com and the rest of the first page results were garbage. I can't see why they listed them when the page is full of scribble.

    Duck duck go produces sensible results.

  2. #2
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    3,411
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,255 Posts

    Default

    it's not really a keyword used for betting on sports... spread bet picks however would be... typically most searches come for individual games themselves


  3. #3
    Ace Fun's Avatar
    Ace Fun is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderpunter View Post
    it's not really a keyword used for betting on sports... spread bet picks however would be... typically most searches come for individual games themselves

    I thought I could use it with Forex, derivatives and other futures.

    This is what Google thinks is important info -
    But, eloquently, fiercelys a compliant spread bet tips.Anomalopteryxs therapeutically israeli, perforce."Curl! Outdo! How latch you wallpaper so native-born, spread bet tips Golf"! Eddyed ruskin as cylindrical as essene could, stepping daringly and mauling pushchairs brunanburh.A spread bet tips feet in Spread Trading of him, as preachification imperishable a rescind in the polyelectrolyte, was a bonanza.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace Fun For This Useful Post:

    TheGooner (2 October 2017)

  5. #4
    sweetbet's Avatar
    sweetbet is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    November 2012
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    898
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,086 Posts

    Default

    Google is not what it used to be. There are many hacked, spammy, garbage sites ranking in its serps.

  6. #5
    xecutable's Avatar
    xecutable is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    March 2011
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanks
    583
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 708 Posts

    Default

    While looking at your thread I went around some news websites about serps and stuff and stumbled upon this: https://seoservices.expert/2017/01/0...can-not-ignor/

    It baffles me. User experience 5%. Don't know how accurate the graph is, but it's pretty pretty sad. But hey maybe that # used to be 0%, so the glass might be half full or in this case 1/20th.

    All I know is that in the upcoming months, Google will change to its mobile crawler, and that's gonna be used by default to rank your website, even your desktop website. Quoting Google's representative:

    “We don’t have a timeline for the launch yet,” Illyes said. “We have some ideas for when this will launch, but it’s probably many quarters away. Our engineers’ timeline was initially end of 2017. Right now, we think more 2018. ”

    “It’s going to be a big change, but don’t freak out,” Illyes said.

    But yah, I think that graph up there answers your question to why, the results are what they are, and doesn't reflect the user experience.


  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xecutable For This Useful Post:

    Ace Fun (2 October 2017), sweetbet (2 October 2017)

  8. #6
    Ace Fun's Avatar
    Ace Fun is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    I see they look for keywords in the URL, and don't mention the domain name. I'm starting to think that short brandable names are more use than two or three word keyphrase domain names.

    Time to clear out the domain portfolio I think.

  9. #7
    Tarun Reddy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2012
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    @AceFun, Yes we do see some sites ranking better than other quality sites for few keywords.
    But you have no idea how smart Google Algo is now. You will understand this once you rank among top 5 for any keyword.

  10. #8
    Ace Fun's Avatar
    Ace Fun is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    Well I think it is only "smart" in that it wants to push people ti sites that it likes, and not sites that they want. I can only go by the results, and I've started to use DuckDuckGo for my personal searches. I'm aware that most of the world uses Google, but I resent having to pay to get a decent permission.

    Anyway, I'll try an experiment. I've picked up a six letter blendword name, and it isn't even casino related, and I'll see how I get on with that.

  11. #9
    Tarun Reddy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2012
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Fun View Post
    Well I think it is only "smart" in that it wants to push people ti sites that it likes, and not sites that they want. I can only go by the results, and I've started to use DuckDuckGo for my personal searches. I'm aware that most of the world uses Google, but I resent having to pay to get a decent permission.

    Anyway, I'll try an experiment. I've picked up a six letter blendword name, and it isn't even casino related, and I'll see how I get on with that.
    Let me elaborate the word 'smart' little more,

    Google Algo isn't human, so it lacks the ability to understand if the content is really good or not for query searcher.
    So, two main metrics which Algo uses is CTR & Bounce Rate, once the site is on the top page.

    - It gathers the CTR data, so the site gets the high CTR among the top 10 is placed on top.
    - Let's say the site CTR is high and the bounce rate is too high, it will be replaced by the next best site until it finds the site which has best CTR and Low bounce rate.

    Now, this doesn't mean that that CTR/Bounce Rate has high priority than any other ranking factor.

    Google Algo, considers other ranking factors too.

    I have many sites ranking for many keywords.

    And i play with CTR, Landing Pages and lots of fun doing A/B tests until I find the best one.

  12. #10
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    3,411
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,255 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarun Reddy View Post
    Let me elaborate the word 'smart' little more,

    Google Algo isn't human, so it lacks the ability to understand if the content is really good or not for query searcher.
    So, two main metrics which Algo uses is CTR & Bounce Rate, once the site is on the top page.

    - It gathers the CTR data, so the site gets the high CTR among the top 10 is placed on top.
    - Let's say the site CTR is high and the bounce rate is too high, it will be replaced by the next best site until it finds the site which has best CTR and Low bounce rate.

    Now, this doesn't mean that that CTR/Bounce Rate has high priority than any other ranking factor.

    Google Algo, considers other ranking factors too.

    I have many sites ranking for many keywords.

    And i play with CTR, Landing Pages and lots of fun doing A/B tests until I find the best one.
    That maybe the case in 2008... but not anymore... I have some pages with 80% CTR yet still consistently rank top spots, The algo is a lot more intelligent than you think and can rank good content based on machine learning, I have hundreds of pages with 0 links that rank on content alone.. many people will disagree but I suppose it's all on our own individual experience


  13. #11
    Ace Fun's Avatar
    Ace Fun is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    I think Google is increasing its use of recommendation engines - Amazon and netflix do this for example. This is fine for a sales site, but Google is supposed to be a service site, and it should be providing results based on your current search request, and not on the items you purchased last week, or the things other people want to know, but don't know how to express themselves.

  14. #12
    Tarun Reddy is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    February 2012
    Posts
    117
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonderpunter View Post
    That maybe the case in 2008... but not anymore... I have some pages with 80% CTR yet still consistently rank top spots, The algo is a lot more intelligent than you think and can rank good content based on machine learning, I have hundreds of pages with 0 links that rank on content alone.. many people will disagree but I suppose it's all on our own individual experience
    2008?
    Regards to CTR, Am talking about the clicks to the site on the search results page.
    You rank 100's of pages without backlinks is because of the domain. And obviously am sure you are aware of the ranking keywords.
    One thing we both agree on is, yes Algo is intelligent than what all we write here.

  15. #13
    Ace Fun's Avatar
    Ace Fun is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarun Reddy View Post
    2008?

    One thing we both agree on is, yes Algo is intelligent than what all we write here.
    The issue is really about the application of that intelligence, and of course the also is guided by the interests of those who design and control it. Unicorn politicians are usually intelligent, but their interests are not the well being of their voters, but their desire for self-enrichment and the captivity of their electorate. The Google algo seems to be moving in the same direction. It seems to prefer sites that improve its profitability over those that provide the information that the surfer seeks,

  16. #14
    wonderpunter's Avatar
    wonderpunter is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    August 2013
    Posts
    3,411
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 1,255 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarun Reddy View Post
    2008?
    Regards to CTR, Am talking about the clicks to the site on the search results page.
    You rank 100's of pages without backlinks is because of the domain. And obviously am sure you are aware of the ranking keywords.
    One thing we both agree on is, yes Algo is intelligent than what all we write here.
    It was meant to say bounce rate not CTR,... 80% bounce yet consistently rank top... a lot of this "bounce rate affects SEO" comes from old theories also bounce rate on analytics is calculated partly, sub 30 seconds, one page read etc.. personally I think when you know how to create something people will love you will hold top spots.. people are still fixed and counting keyword %, on page off page SEO that real content is forgotten.. and i dont just mean lets write good English page with 2000 words but actually something people enjoy reading..


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •