Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default Google restricts search data for logged in users

    Just saw this on PAL - logged in users will, by default, use SSL search meaning that no keyword data will be passed to analytics (or any other stats program).

    They say it will only affect 1% of searches, but how many people have their gmail running in the background 24-7?! I know I do.

    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...-for-your.html

    Massive mistake by the big G.
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  2. #2
    davemerry's Avatar
    davemerry is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 230 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    I posted this here earlier https://www.gpwa.org/forum/keyword-a...ws-201299.html - good to know we share the same thoughts though

    Am I right in saying if you have a YouTube account Google keeps you signed in that when you leave as well? My YouTube account is an old hotmail email and when I leave YouTube I appear to be signed-in to Google with it. Not sure whether that is because I created an Analytics account with it as well or something.

  3. #3
    ddm
    ddm is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    418
    Thanked 470 Times in 287 Posts

    Default

    you can still track everything as usual if you

    a- pull referrer keyword from the incoming post request on your site
    b- save it in GA as a custom variable.

    Looks like G trying to ramp up adwords sales...

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to ddm For This Useful Post:

    davemerry (19 October 2011)

  5. #4
    davemerry's Avatar
    davemerry is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 230 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Thanks GamblingSEO - your living up to your name!

  6. #5
    ddm
    ddm is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    418
    Thanked 470 Times in 287 Posts

    Default

    pleasure Dave - no point having secret sauce without giving away samples!

    Seriously though, if anyone wants sample php code and GA settings for this hack, let me know and I'll stick something together on the weekend if I get a chance.

    cheers
    niall

  7. #6
    AussieWebmaster is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    August 2007
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The SSL strips the referrer info except domain http://searchenginewatch.com/article...in-Search-Data

  8. #7
    ddm
    ddm is offline Former Member
    Join Date
    July 2006
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks
    418
    Thanked 470 Times in 287 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
    The SSL strips the referrer info except domain http://searchenginewatch.com/article...in-Search-Data
    shiiiiiiiit!

  9. #8
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
    The SSL strips the referrer info except domain http://searchenginewatch.com/article...in-Search-Data
    That was my understanding too.

    PS. Sorry Dave - didn't see your other thread!
    Last edited by baldidiot; 20 October 2011 at 11:16 am.
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

  10. #9
    davemerry's Avatar
    davemerry is offline Public Member
    Join Date
    June 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    751
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 230 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Not a problem mate.

    Bad news, hopefully the 1% figure of affected searches flying around is correct and it won't be to bad.

  11. #10
    baldidiot is offline Private Member
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,555 Posts

    Default

    I can't believe it's anywhere near as low as 1%! I guess we'll find out soon enough...
    onlinegamblingwebsites.com - Formally known as goodbonusguide.

    Gambling Domains: Small clear out of some of the domains we've been hoarding - see the spreadsheet here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •