-
Sneaky Pop Ups/Pop Unders
Hi there, this is my first post
Our New Casino Portal website went live this past week and we are experiencing something strange. Sometimes when you're navigating through the pages something is throwing a pop-up or pop under. They're usually unrelated to the casinos we're advertising, either hokey special offers or porn, and we want to get them off there ASAP.
Trouble is - we can't figure out what's causing it based on the script. I remember reading in one of the forums somewhere about a function/script/download that you can use to determine where pop ups are coming from.
Does anyone know where I can find this?
Any help would be much appreciated.
-
-
when I just went to your site, nothing popped up or under except for your own 10best list or something similar.
Cheers
marc
ps..nice site
-
-
Hi Mary!
Can you identify the pages this is happening on? I just clicked thru all your main pages, and didn't get anything, other than the pop you have on your home page.
Is it possible you've picked up some ad program? Is this happening only on your site, or everywhere?
At any rate, you can go to the www.GPWA.org website, go to the Webmaster page, and there are a bunch of proggies and tools to use. Download Ad-Aware, install and run it on your puter. If you've picked up any scumware, Ad-Aware will detect it for you.
-
-
I navigated your site with no popups whatsoever. I would say you have somehow installed a program (scumware) on your system. I would check for that first.
Very nice site by the way!
-
-
It's mostly happening from the newsletter sign up. We checked with the folks who are providing that for us and they're not serving ads.
I'll check out the AD Ware stuff. Thanks Cynthia
BTW what did you guys think of the site. Would love to hear any feedback you have.
Mary
-
-
Very nice site!!
Sorry I didn't say that earlier.
-
-
Something similar happened to be a couple of weeks ago when I visited a fellow members site and clicked on their link page. Norton popped up and said I got a virus which it was unable to repair. Since then, every time I am at any kind of casino related site (including here) I get various casino pop-ups happening.
Better install that software myself!
Marc
-
-
Sounds like you might have a ad system installed on your computer, possibly from a browser toolbar or other unrelated prog.
Try running adware - link from here https://www.gpwa.org/ - to see what kind of spyware you got on your comp and remove it.
-
-
It may be worth also checking out www.scumware.com
-
-
25 July 2002, 6:01 pm
#10
Nice site!
Once you get the pops sorted..you will have to change your pic to something other than Mary Poppins
-
-
25 July 2002, 6:21 pm
#11
I get that alot too, it could possibly be 'savenow' , it attach's itself to you when you browse and you can find this by opening 'run', and typing in 'msconfig' you can deselect this from your start menu, then uninstall it.
-
-
11 August 2002, 10:22 pm
#12
Pop Ups are Gone!!
Hey Folks,
Thanks for all your help on this. Looks like the problem is solved. Not being able to find the actual problem, we took everyone's suggestion and did everything
Thanks for all the comments on the site. Based on a focus group we did we're going to change a lot of design things and add tons of content. Once that's done we'll start marketing in earnest.
In answer to Dean's comments about my Avatar, I didn't actually use it as an intro to the post (Poppins/Pop Ups). It's just a reflection of my wholesome British personality, so I think I'll keep it :LOL:
See you all out there.
Mary.
-
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules